PDA

View Full Version : Rookie questions-Leader, split shot, hooking worm

Surfnsnowboard3
01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey guys, don't beat me too hard....

First question is about a "leader." If I put a split shot weight about 10-12 inches above my hook, does that make my "leader" 10-12 inches? Or is it something completely different?

Second question, I seem to lose a lot of nightcrawlers off my hook. I am using a baitholder hook, so I know I have the right hook. So I must be putting the nightcrawler on wrong. Can somebody tell me the correct way to bait a nightcrawler on a hook? Also, I've been using half a large nighcrawler, is that good?

THANKS!

Troutman65
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, don't beat me too hard....

First question is about a "leader." If I put a split shot weight about 10-12 inches above my hook, does that make my "leader" 10-12 inches? Or is it something completely different?

Second question, I seem to lose a lot of nightcrawlers off my hook. I am using a baitholder hook, so I know I have the right hook. So I must be putting the nightcrawler on wrong. Can somebody tell me the correct way to bait a nightcrawler on a hook? Also, I've been using half a large nighcrawler, is that good?

THANKS!

To your first question Yes .

To your second question , I don't know how you have been hooking them. I have at times lost a few N/C on my cast out. What I do is pinch the worm in half and thread the hook down the middle of the worm untill all the hook is inside and pop the hook out. I uselly put on a power egg on first before the worm. Hope this helps you .

murrieta angler
01-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey Bro,
Just want to add one thing.
When I use N/C's I also usually leave about 1/4" -3/8" dangling to attract the fish. JMO
Robert
<><

Surfnsnowboard3
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Nessie Hunter
01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
A lot of your leader question is terminology..
A leader is normally a diff line then your main line (not where the weight is).
IE; Fluoro or lighter line then main line.
Attached with swivel or a line to line knot.

When you just put a Split Shot above the hook it is sometimes just called a Split shot rig.
No leader-line used, or on a leader-line that is longer.....
But this is where others may disagree...
Terminology differs from Angler to Angler..

The Worm???
Try sweet talking it and convincing it that 'taking one for the team' is a Good thing!!! LOL

Cast with less gusto. That will help a lot...
Threading it on as mentioned above is the best way to keep them on.

Or you can go artificial worms, and rig = drop shot (nose hook or wacky), Split shot, Carolina or Texas rig and stop the problem altogether!!