PDA

View Full Version : Bonito Fishing

Danny Klein
01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
In the mid to late 1970's I used to experience great bonito fishing in King Harbor. Sometimes every cast would result in a 5lb bonito. I've been living in the northeast for the past thirty years and was wondering if this fishery still happening?

Thanks for any info,

Danny

flyngby
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
500 casts and half a limit of 10 may get you 5 lbs.

lovefofish
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
shhh secrets

DockRat
01-14-2011, 06:09 AM
It Ain't Like It Used To Be. This year had a decent comeback. I caught a few in KH.
Went old school bubble and fly fishing alot. The couple I cut up had 3" baby squid in them.
I think the eat in the RB canyon then cruise the harbor all day ?

Most 1 - 2 lb range.

500 casts and half a limit of 10 may get you 5 lbs.

You guys do that much casting on your SWAT missions.
DR

DockRat
01-14-2011, 06:10 AM
I've been living in the northeast for the past thirty years and was wondering if this fishery still happening?

Danny

What state are you in ?
DR

Danny Klein
01-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I just moved from Boston back to So Cal. I just spoke with some guys in a local tackle shop and they explained how the bonito fishery has changed over the decades.What a shame. I guess the days of limits of the "3 B's" are over.

smokehound
01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I havent seen a good inshore bonito in a while.

I used to hit up the HB pier for epic bonito runs, but I havent seen any there for like, four-five years.

They rolled in last year around seal beach/belmont shores, but I didn't have a chance to hook into any.

I see bonito in NPH alot, but they always show up when I'm not prepared for em.. Plus they're usually tiny.

JapanRon
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Danny Klein,

Actually, locally it ain't that hard if ya watch the moo-moo counts and hit it at peak combined numbers. PBer's can do it easily during the period of overlaping seasons. Might have to travel to one bite or the other ..... and that's what's different about the old days too !! 60's it was no tellin' what you'd get !!

Did it at Cabrillo on a float tube 8 or 9 years ago !!

Another option is Catalina or the islands. If the Barracuda are in good numbers .... you should get the other two pretty easily.

JapanRon

Danny Klein
01-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies.This is a great community. I have to ask, Moo-Moo?

Danny

Newfishsmell
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies.This is a great community. I have to ask, Moo-Moo?

Oh,that would be a - party boat/cattle boat/sport boat or as JR says moo-moo.
Check out some of his saltwater reports , good stuff .

DockRat
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I just moved from Boston back to So Cal.

My kid moved to Dover NH.

I havent seen a good inshore bonito in a while.

Saw the them breezing at the short pier KH today. :LOL:

Fished the pier then the rocks at the Edison bubble. No bites :Crying:

The Edison bubble was on all morning. :Dancing Banana:
1 guy landed 2 @ 2 lbs ea early on the splash bubble and green feather.
Had the rocks by myself till 11 am when I split. It was like a lake and offshore.
Tried blue/chome Kroc, 110 Flash Minnow, bubble and lime green feather w/ 8' leader.

I think they are stuffed from the squid right outside the harbor.
DR

DockRat
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
. I've been living in the northeast for the past thirty years and was wondering if this fishery still happening?
Danny

You could hit the short pier early am and see them.
Redondo Sportfishing went out of business a few weeks ago.
No license needed on the pier.

No supervision on the pier. Overhead casting :Wink:
The Coffee Shop Poly's opens the gate ( I think )
Check it out.
DR

Tora
01-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Redondo Sportfishing went out of business? I used to go on that boat a long time ago with my dad and uncle all the time. What a shame. How is it fishing from that pier? Better than the rocks?

Ifishtoolittle
01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
You could hit the short pier early am and see them.
Redondo Sportfishing went out of business a few weeks ago.
No license needed on the pier.

No supervision on the pier. Overhead casting :Wink:
The Coffee Shop Poly's opens the gate ( I think )
Check it out.
DR

Hey DR do you know if Polly's will close the gate once the restaurant closes for the day?

DockRat
01-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Hey DR do you know if Polly's will close the gate once the restaurant closes for the day? I Dunno but the Coffee Shop was never open for dinner before.

Redondo Sportfishing went out of business? I used to go on that boat a long time ago with my dad and uncle all the time. What a shame. How is it fishing from that pier? Better than the rocks?

All the sportfishing boats are still running, you buy your tickets on the boat you go out on.

Pier or Rocks ? They both sucked yesterday. I'll take rocks over any pier.
DR

Danny Klein
01-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Dover is a very nice place. About 55 miles from Boston-perhaps an hour drive.Visit your family in the late spring or fall. It's lovely.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-16-2011, 01:07 PM
ill tell you from old time experiance.from the time i was 4yrs to 18 old .the old man , walk me out to the end of the jetty, at 72nd.we caught bonita all the time ,and some times a yellow tail ,or white sea bass.i dont want to even talk about ,the giant perch.and then plastic stuff came in ,and the spotted bass,sand bass ,and halibut,bite, was wide open. it was a crazy, wide open bite ,.never a skunk..thats why now, i believe in catch, and release, all the time.my dad kept everything, as every one else did.sad days .i remember ,if you wanted bonita ,or maybe a lucky yellow tail, you went to redondo.off the jetty .if you have to eat fish stop at a local fish store, and buy your fish, which now days are mainly farm raised ........god bless....mike the pmb.....