PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know

probass123
01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
do you know what type of fish are at Dana point because im going with my dad on Saturday morning (4:30am :EyePop:) and i want to know what im want to go after and what type of bait

heydaad
01-13-2011, 08:18 PM
The inshore fishing has been kinda slow, most likely you'll be looking for rockfish. There's a few calicos in the kelp beds, and the chance of a white seabass by San Clemente. Ask your Dad what he plans on targeting.

probass123
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
acually non of us know what we are targeting my dad loves bass so maybe bass or anything legal that he can eat well do you know what else might be out the exept for bass

LunkerLover
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Legal halibuts outside the break walls fishing dropper loops with live chovies...

probass123
01-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Legal halibuts outside the break walls fishing dropper loops with live chovies...

do you know if frozen anchovies work or fresh shrimp?

smokehound
01-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Depends on where in DP, rockfish for boat-based anglers are out of season at the moment..

If you're going on a boat outside the harbor, the boilers can produce some nice bass and sheephead. Bring some shrimp, ghost shrimp would be even better for goats.

If you're harbor fishing, there are some good spots. The first place i always check out is the bait-pens, i've caught some nice calicos and spotties there, the smell of all those live anchovies draws all sorts of fish there.

DP harbor is fantastic in mid-summer, especially for spotfin croaker, enormous Sargo, beautiful spotties, lots of dink calicos. I like to fish the baby beach, near the pier.

Or you could go out on the jetties, and target sheephead, opaleye, cabezon, zebraperch with fresh mussels/ghostshrimp. Or Halibut on the more exposed jetties.

DP is a good harbor to fish in winter/early spring. The water there is usually warmer than the more northerly harbors, like NPH, due to all those black rocks surrounding, the black rocks absorb alot of heat, even in winter.

Earlier last year, around july/august, DP harbor's water was 67 degrees, while NPH's water was 60-62 degrees.

DockRat
01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Saturday morning (4:30am :EyePop:)

I wake up at 4:30 - 5 everyday. No alarm clock used in years.
The trick is to go to bed early. :Wink:
Watch the Sunrise and Sunset 7 days a week :Thumbs Up:
DR

probass123
01-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Depends on where in DP, rockfish for boat-based anglers are out of season at the moment..

If you're going on a boat outside the harbor, the boilers can produce some nice bass and sheephead. Bring some shrimp, ghost shrimp would be even better for goats.

If you're harbor fishing, there are some good spots. The first place i always check out is the bait-pens, i've caught some nice calicos and spotties there, the smell of all those live anchovies draws all sorts of fish there.

DP harbor is fantastic in mid-summer, especially for spotfin croaker, enormous Sargo, beautiful spotties, lots of dink calicos. I like to fish the baby beach, near the pier.

Or you could go out on the jetties, and target sheephead, opaleye, cabezon, zebraperch with fresh mussels/ghostshrimp. Or Halibut on the more exposed jetties.

DP is a good harbor to fish in winter/early spring. The water there is usually warmer than the more northerly harbors, like NPH, due to all those black rocks surrounding, the black rocks absorb alot of heat, even in winter.

Earlier last year, around july/august, DP harbor's water was 67 degrees, while NPH's water was 60-62 degrees.

thanks maN I THINK ILL HIT UP THE JETTIE