PDA

View Full Version : Lew's Reels

SLOfish
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Anybody on the board know much about the company? We got a bunch in at work the other day and I was going to pick one up but was hoping to get some feedback on the company before I picked one up.

pwynn
01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought they were out of business? I have a few the last one i got was probably 4 years ago at bps in vegas. I always like the handles.

HBAR
01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
I had one long time ago forgot what happend to it, think it might have been in a storage unit I lost some stuff in. I could be wrong but aren't they all metal reels?

WormFisher
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
They were in business a while back. They made the first low profile reels. The originals were ahead of themselves when they came out. Lew Childre I believe died in a plane crash and they went out of business. A guy who was associated w/ BPS purchased the rights and name and they are back in business.

If you can get one of the orginals they were pretty good. I think Shimano made some reels for them. I am not sure of the new stuff though. I'd save my money and buy a Curado D.

SLOfish
01-23-2011, 07:41 AM
i ended up picking up one of the lower models and have been extremely pleased. super smooth casting and drag, pretty good reel overall for $90. Was able to pull out a 3 foot leopard shark from the surf on 10 lb fluoro with it

DarkShadow
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
i ended up picking up one of the lower models and have been extremely pleased. super smooth casting and drag, pretty good reel overall for $90.

I don't think I've bought a reel before where it didn't perform like a dream the first day out.

It's the longevity factor that separates the men from the boys.