PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about rust on my gear if I live at the beach?

gavin310
01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm moving to the beach... about half a block from the sand! The place is on the smaller side so I'm thinking of installing rod racks on the ceiling in the garage and keeping some of my other gear in there (rod holders, lures, hooks, etc.). I'll be keeping the garage door closed all the time (except for the obvious opening and closing to park my car). Do I still need to worry about that notorious salt air coming into the garage and rusting any parts of my gear that are "rust-able"? Or should it be OK inside the garage? I've lived at the beach before and know how brutal that salt air can be on metal... :Shocked:

5BassReaper7
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Thats awasome man now you can go out there and fish the surf more lol. If i was you i do exactly that and get reel covers.

Thisfool
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
every garage i have ever seen has vents and is not air tight.

but if your guides are stainless steel then you dont need to worry about them they will not rust and for your reels just get some reel covers

gavin310
01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
every garage i have ever seen has vents and is not air tight.

but if your guides are stainless steel then you dont need to worry about them they will not rust and for your reels just get some reel covers

Actually I'm pretty sure this garage doesn't have vents, but that's kinda my question. The garage door has about a 1" space under it and all around the sides and I'm sure there's other openings, so outside air will get in. So I guess I'm wondering if ANY air coming from the outside will rust metal, or if it's only like the misty ocean air that will rust it.

Thisfool
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
well im not a doctor or anything lol ( sorry not trying to be a dick but i cant pass up the opportunity to say that). i love that move the 40 year old virgin

your right the misty air would defiantly rust it but i would just assume that the air that near the ocean will have more salt in it cuz no mater what there will always be moisture in the air and i assume the air near the ocean will have a higher salt content.

but safest bet either way would be to get some reel socks and check to see if your guides are at lest stainless steel. (most higher end rods have stainless steel guides) stainless steel does not rust cuz it does not contain iron and it is the iron in metal that reacts with moisture in the air and turns in to iron-oxide (the red stuff we call rust) salt doesn't cause this but salt is highly corrosive so it eats away at protective coating's and the metal its self much faster then none salt water and that is way salt water will make things rust up much worse and faster then non salt water.

gavin310
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Cool thanks for that. It also got me thinking maybe I could just wrap all the loose gear (reels, tackle boxes, etc.) in a cheapo blanket. that should work. for the rods my only stainless steel rods are 2 heavy duty saltwater rods. I could even just wrap those in a blanket if i'm concerned about it. i think that's gonna be the ticket... using protection. lol.

Thisfool
01-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Cool thanks for that. It also got me thinking maybe I could just wrap all the loose gear (reels, tackle boxes, etc.) in a cheapo blanket. that should work. for the rods my only stainless steel rods are 2 heavy duty saltwater rods. I could even just wrap those in a blanket if i'm concerned about it. i think that's gonna be the ticket... using protection. lol.

lol wrapping it up is always the safest thing to do. as for your tackle boxes and the contents in your tackle boxes just use the lil whit packets that say "do not eat" that come in the shoe box when you buy new shoes and they are also in packs of beef jerky. those things absorb moisture and will help prevent rust on hooks and spoons and what not.

but a blanket is a great idea to cuz it will protect agents more then just rust such as bugs and other harmful things that might try to attack your rods lol o man

WRAP IT UP GUYS

gavin310
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
I dunno.... having a bunch of little ice fishing rods running around might not be such a bad thing....

Ifishtoolittle
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Well for the reels, why not put them in a box? As for your rods like mentioned above if you have decent quality guides on them your rods won't have any problems.

Thisfool
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I dunno.... having a bunch of little ice fishing rods running around might not be such a bad thing....

lol man i must be tired cuz i dint get it at first. i was all like o so he ice fishes to thats cool i wonder were he goes and does that.

CraigH
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
You might want to check out salt-x. They make spray products that protect against salt corrosion and damage so you could spray a light coat on the parts you are worried will corrode.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-15-2011, 03:26 PM
dude if your on the beach ,let the stuff go.keep it in wrapped .rags you can ,buy stuff like the cardiff, or sedona line of reels for cheap.some people spray with wd -40 i woulnt do it it can wipe out your primary reel grease..just fish ,and replace ,or take your stuff to your local tackle shop. problem solved ,i envoy you. id kill to have your problem....