PDA

View Full Version : First striper is a DD

Cableguy
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Went home after work, no one there. Hmmm can I take a quick trip....absolutely. Headed close to home 10th st. west. 2 poles with 6'' super fluke on one and 4'' on other with 1/4 oz. on 12 lbs test. Water is low and no current. Walked 1 1/2 miles stopping every 20 yards and nothing. Headed back doing the same thing. Close to the bridge now and it's time to go. One more cast. Something hits but no takers. I'm new at this and not sure if it was the bottom. continue to glide fluke up and down and all of a sudden bam... I set hook and it's on. he took 40 feet of line the first run. I didn't want to lose my first one so I let it run. When he slowed down I adjusted the drag and brought him in 20 '. He turned and went out another 60'. "You are mine and your not getting off". We battled for about 15-20 minutes and he finally gave in. I pulled them up to the edge and netted him in. Best fresh water fight I ever had. (10.4 lbs) My son freaked when I took it out of the truck. Wife in kitchen, I went behind her and raised the fish close to her face for a scream. Great night.:Big Grin:

Double A
01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
nice fish,

that's a great way to kick off your addiction

madwire3
01-13-2011, 10:05 AM
way to go, nice report... nice fish man gets the blood pumping dont it

yolo
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Way to make your mark. Your first fish is a beauty.

stphnman20
01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Very nice!

Congrats!

Cableguy
01-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys. Couldn't do it with out all the great advice you guys give. Can't wait for the weekend.

adicfor
01-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Nice fish. Its fun when they take off on you and pull line.

5BassReaper7
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
thats a beauty. Excellent catch !

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-13-2011, 11:55 AM
very nice WORK THERE..

hUGE CONGRATS !

Way ta roll....

saweet !

Bassnman Mike
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Now thats what I'm talkin about!

Great way to kill the Duct Skunk!

So, after freaking the wife out, did you have to sleep outside? BWAAAAA!

TroutOnly
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
THEY LOVE THE SHADE CREATED BY THE BRIDGE,,,,,CONGRATS ON THE DUCT STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,

cutbait
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
You the man

yolo
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
THEY LOVE THE SHADE CREATED BY THE BRIDGE,,,,,CONGRATS ON THE DUCT STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,

The shade created by the night is not too bad either. :LOL: Looks like it was hooked at dark so I'm just saying.

Cableguy, I lost my personal best there. The water is not low there though. Maybe down only a foot which is well within the fluctuating range of normal. You want to see low water, head just west of there and the water is down like 10' from normal.

fishinone
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice catch. How long have you been trying for them?

sawoobley
01-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Adrenaline pumping for sure.

I like how many pictures you took of your fist striper. Exciting catch! Well done.

:Cool:

snakeplissken
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
i want to start fishing the aqueduct , but i have no idea where to start. i got rattle traps , flukes and k.p.n'si want to try out. i live in the san fenando valley and i hear there are many areas in lancaster , i just don't know where...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M@M
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
That's a NICE fish...WAY TO GO!! Thanks for report and pics!:Thumbs Up:

yolo
01-13-2011, 03:19 PM
The shade created by the night is not too bad either. :LOL: Looks like it was hooked at dark so I'm just saying.

Cableguy, I lost my personal best there. The water is not low there though. Maybe down only a foot which is well within the fluctuating range of normal. You want to see low water, head just west of there and the water is down like 10' from normal.

Just drove over it coming home from work and it is now down like 5' where it was full just this late morning when I drove over it going to work.

Marine_Michael
01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
i want to start fishing the aqueduct , but i have no idea where to start. i got rattle traps , flukes and k.p.n'si want to try out. i live in the san fenando valley and i hear there are many areas in lancaster , i just don't know where...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll only be covering fishing the Aqueduct in the A.V since that's where I'm familiar with.

Fishing locations: There are many locations, to get a better understanding of them and how to get to them I suggest using Google maps to view them.

Starting from the West end of the AV there is Quail lake, 280th West, Three Points Road, 245th West, 195th West, Muntz Ranch Road, 110th West, 70th West, 60th West, Ave S, Tierra Subida, Sierra Hwy, Pearblossom, Barrel Springs, and many more as you continue East. Most areas will have no trespassing signs, but will have a entrance and sign stating walk in fishing only.

Gear: A lip gripper or long handled net is recommended.

As for rod/reel/line I would recommend having at least 2 or 3 rods/reels matched to the different kinds of lures you'll be using.

A 7' Medium power fast action rod for throwing lighter lures up to @ 1 oz

A 7'6" MH Fast action rod for throwing 3/4 oz - 2 oz lures

A 7'6" - 8' ######### rod if you intend to throw larger heavier lures.

Reels Spinning or Bait caster will work as long as it has a decent drag system and holds a fair amount of line.

Line, everyone has their preference on brand and type of line. My preference is a high quality co-polymer/floro blend like P-line CXX, Floroclear or Yozuri Hybrid Ultra Soft. Others like mono or fluorocarbon line.

Lb test is a personal preference thing too. I use anywhere from 8# to 15# line depending on the application.

Lures:
1/2 to 1 1/2 oz Rat-L-Trap style lures
Fluke Style baits on a jig head 1/2 to 2oz
Buck-tail lures
Small swimbaits
Jerk-Baits like the Lucky Craft Pointer
Large Tube style baits (Basstrix Trick Tube)

Pearl White, Smokin Shad and perch patterned lures seem to be the most productive for the soft plastic baits.

Match the weight of the lure with the conditions, more flow = more weight needed to get into the target zone.

You can cast up-flow and retrieve the lure with the current, cast directly across and retrieve through the current, or cast down flow and work it back against the current or anywhere in between.

The most important thing is to be safe. Second is to find the fish. Work an are for 10-20 min and if you haven't had any biters or followers move on to the next spot.

HaiTheMeister
01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Congrats on the DD. you did very well on your first duct fish. that must've felt like getting free cable and free pron channels. LOL. no pun intended there cableguy. LOL

trail blazer
01-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Super niceee!

Wtg,,congrats!

Trail blazer

GREENSTINKYFEET
01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Contgratulations on a beautiful fish. Ceviche or fish tacos ?

Lucky Lager
01-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Nice fish. Its fun when they take off on you and pull line.

how the hell would you know??? hahaha! :Neener Neener:

BigBassHogExpert
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Glad to see you didn't listen to all the haters. The other day somebody asked about duct conditions in the AV and I responded they were epic for DD stripers, especially if you know what you're doing. However, all the haters came out of the woodwork to say that I didn't know what I was talking about, don't even bother until water levels are back up, etc. I thought I was the only one getting in on this action, but it appears some of the other non-haters are taking advantage of these amazing conditions.

sawoobley
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Glad to see you didn't listen to all the haters. The other day somebody asked about duct conditions in the AV and I responded they were epic for DD stripers, especially if you know what you're doing. However, all the haters came out of the woodwork to say that I didn't know what I was talking about, don't even bother until water levels are back up, etc. I thought I was the only one getting in on this action, but it appears some of the other non-haters are taking advantage of these amazing conditions.

Thanks for all the advice BigBassHog Expert. I love reading all your posts and seeing the pictures of all the DD stripers that you pull out of the duct. It's proof positive that if you know how to fish the duct when the stripers are so concentrated then the big boys will come out to play. It is during these great times that it's like shooting fish in a barrel and fishing becomes catching. It's almost not fair to the DD stripers, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Keep posting the pictures and posting the reports. They are very instructive. You truly lead by example. Thank you.

madwire3
01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice BigBassHog Expert. I love reading all your posts and seeing the pictures of all the DD stripers that you pull out of the duct. It's proof positive that if you know how to fish the duct when the stripers are so concentrated then the big boys will come out to play. It is during these great times that it's like shooting fish in a barrel and fishing becomes catching. It's almost not fair to the DD stripers, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Keep posting the pictures and posting the reports. They are very instructive. You truly lead by example. Thank you.

hah nicely played

BigBassHogExpert
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
And you actually wonder why I don't post reports here?

madwire3
01-13-2011, 11:06 PM
why post anything at all if your not gonna post reports or even a pic or two to prove ur not just some loner fabricating stories to make himself seem like hes not such a loser??? just post a pic or two, no harm there... im sure you have seen many of the bull shist posts of people talking as if they know facts when they are very wrong on the topic... like "smelt are not freshwater" haha still get a kick out of that one.. so of course people are gonna doubt what u say,, post a pic and watch what happens its that easy otherwise no ones gonna give any positive feedback about what u say... thats society bud... i once caught a manatee... i didnt but if i said it as a truth id be called out for pics, that simple

yolo
01-14-2011, 08:33 AM

The DD fish and the other post with 2 smaller fish were caught in areas where the water was not drained. The 2 smaller fish were not even caught out of the east branch or what is also known as the AV section. They were caught in the west branch and where there was no draining.

Cableguy lives down the street from where he caught his and that pool was not even drained so it is close enough to try and no big deal if nothing happens. I was telling the guy that would have to make an hour drive each way that it would be better to wait. I also said that 80% of the AV duct is drained and not all of it.

Once again you are clueless and the conditions are not amazing. Just ask the 100 other guys that fished it and didn't even get bit. One post with one catch does not make the conditions amazing.

Now go put on your dunce cap.

tpfishnfool
01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
The DD fish and the other post with 2 smaller fish were caught in areas where the water was not drained. The 2 smaller fish were not even caught out of the east branch or what is also known as the AV section. They were caught in the west branch and where there was no draining.

Cableguy lives down the street from where he caught his and that pool was not even drained so it is close enough to try and no big deal if nothing happens. I was telling the guy that would have to make an hour drive each way that it would be better to wait. I also said that 80% of the AV duct is drained and not all of it.

Once again you are clueless and the conditions are not amazing. Just ask the 100 other guys that fished it and didn't even get bit. One post with one catch does not make the conditions amazing.

Now go put on your dunce cap.

Well put Yolo......

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

LMAO !!!!!!
Very nice !

And you actually wonder why I don't post reports here?
U never posted at all...at least not under this name

I know your a previous member now under an alias....me thinks da cat's outa da bag

BigBassHogExpert
01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Keep hating haters; while you're hating I'm catching.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Keep hating haters; while you're hating I'm catching.

Even though Christmas is done, we’ve all decided to chip in and buy you a disposable camera and a gift card for walmart photo prints

BigBassHogExpert
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Another epic night last night at the AV duct. Get out there, the stripers are on the chew.

yolo
01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Another epic night last night at the AV duct. Get out there, the stripers are on the chew.

Yeah they were chewing. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

sawoobley
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Sweet! Those are some beautiful stripers. Gonna make for some nice striper jerky. Keep those pics coming. Congrats on the DD's. 2011 is gonna be the best year ever!

BigBassHogExpert
01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I couldn't agree more. 2011, nascent as it is, has been one of the most remarkably outstanding years for DD stripers in the AV duct I can remember.

GREENSTINKYFEET
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
What kind of bait you you throwin sugar britches?

yolo
01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't know what the HogExpert throws but for me I just threw a pork rind on a hook and let it flutter to the bottom of the shallow duct. Twitch it and instant strikes. The tail slapping in the shallow water was unreal once hooked. Dragging them up through the muck on the side was the most challenging thing. Couldn't release any because of the major road rash from dragging it up 15' of cement wall to the dirt.

BigBassHogExpert
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I love it "YO no se LO que esta pasando," please keep dispensing your "expert" advice not to "waste" your time fishing the AV duct right now.

wackyrigged
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
First I would like to say F YA to cable guy for the big catches any time he wants to show me how it is done I say bring it on because I live right by 10th W and I can't seem to get a bite unless I wanna soak bait fora CAT.2 I wanna say big bass is a giant complainer from my perspective these guys are giving actual reports with pics which is what brought me to the site in the first place (wanting to tryout Isabella).So if they did not know already Bigbass is a big clown couch surfer who probably rich and has all the best gear just does not know how to use it.PERIOD other than that hes a practical joke.(and I have a slight suspicion who it is)Otherwise to end it on a good note Yolo KPN the bako boyz letemfeel the steel gary and others who fish the Aqueduct are nothing but insightful, honest and hard working members who actually post reports which is freaking GREAT.

koifish
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Cableguy!
Nice catch. Congrat to your new dd at duct. The water still low??
Thanks

yolo
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I love it "YO no se LO que esta pasando," please keep dispensing your "expert" advice not to "waste" your time fishing the AV duct right now.

Just got home with tonight's catch. Man you were so right. No stopping the fish out there. I tried to get another limit but only managed three tonight. Sorry for doubting your duct prowess. If not for you, I would have never gone out to fish those easy picking stripers.

BigBassHogExpert
01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
LOL, whatever you say "duct genius." Anyhow, this is my last post tonight, I'm meeting up with another big-time duct striper slayer @ 10:00 p.m. in Santa Clarita and we're heading up to some pre-determined 'duct locations in the AV that we both think are going to produce big time based upon past experience. Have fun twiddling your thumbs at home tonight keyboard "hog" striper slaying commandos.

Bassnman Mike
01-15-2011, 05:54 AM
First I would like to say F YA to cable guy for the big catches any time he wants to show me how it is done I say bring it on because I live right by 10th W and I can't seem to get a bite unless I wanna soak bait fora CAT.2 I wanna say big bass is a giant complainer from my perspective these guys are giving actual reports with pics which is what brought me to the site in the first place (wanting to tryout Isabella).So if they did not know already Bigbass is a big clown couch surfer who probably rich and has all the best gear just does not know how to use it.PERIOD other than that hes a practical joke.(and I have a slight suspicion who it is)Otherwise to end it on a good note Yolo KPN the bako boyz letemfeel the steel gary and others who fish the Aqueduct are nothing but insightful, honest and hard working members who actually post reports which is freaking GREAT.

Well put wacky.

BTW, I know Lake Isabella pretty good, been fishing it since the late 70's. If you ever want to hookup let me know.

yolo
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
LOL, whatever you say "duct genius." Anyhow, this is my last post tonight, I'm meeting up with another big-time duct striper slayer @ 10:00 p.m. in Santa Clarita and we're heading up to some pre-determined 'duct locations in the AV that we both think are going to produce big time based upon past experience. Have fun twiddling your thumbs at home tonight keyboard "hog" striper slaying commandos.

I was twiddling my thumb on the reel this morning. Just got home with another haul of fish. Almost a duct limit. Fish almost every cast. Took only an hour to nail 7. Texas rigged a Cabela's Aquaglow salty jerk. Much better in the daytime seeing them all swimming around the shallow duct. You could see all of them just come and inhale the bait. Schools of fish fighting for one lure. I should have thrown an umbrella rig and hooked 3 at one time. Might go back later after my company that is arriving shortly leaves and try for a triple hook up. So many fish concentrated. Hey I have a 2nd rod stamp. You think I could do 2 rods with an umbrella rig on each and hook 6 at once? It looks like a carp spawn the stripers are so thick in there. That would be something!

Well here is this morning's action.

Double A
01-15-2011, 08:21 AM
WOW... nice haul YOLO

nice to see the epic conditions paying off for you

you shoulda stayed the extra 7 1/2 minutes and limited out. oh well, next time.

now get home, fillet those bad boyz up, and eat 'em all. heck, serve some to your guests... love to eat those duct stripey's every chance i get.

nice kill yolo, rack em!

yolo
01-15-2011, 08:28 AM
The daytime you only have that hour window at a time because after only so long in these "ideal conditions", the fish catch on and know something is up when they can see you hauling their buddies up. They go lockjaw after that. I should have thrown the double triple this morning. Looking forward to get some this afternoon or tonight after we eat all the fish with my guests. They might go home glowing from eating all that "polluted" striper meat?

tpfishnfool
01-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Somebody Lock up this Bu&&sh6T thread already !!