PDA

View Full Version : Dawia pluton owners ?????

Nessie Hunter
01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I have recently encounter 3 out of 4 Plutons that have a fatal Level wind issue.
I also heard others are having the same problem.
We are talking about a $400 Reel..

I love the Pluton, strong and well made with awesome features..

But with time & use there seems to be a developing design problem.

The level wind is operated by a Nylon gear (like many reels). But the gear fits on the worm shaft with 2 flat spots on shaft that couple to flat spots in the gear.
Any stoppage of the level wind allows the gear to slip on the shaft and eventually this eats out the flat spot in the gear and it all stops working. The gear will not turn the shaft.

Many other Reels have a metal gear turning the Nylon Gear, when there is stoppage the Metal eats the teeth off the Nylon gear. Bam - no or very jumpy level wind.
But cheap & easy fix. Replace the Nylon gear....

The Nylon to Nylon gear in the Pluton doesnt do this, it keeps turning the gear and strips the connection at the Metal shaft...
For some reason (starting, stopping and twisting of the Hard faced Pawl??) this also causes or seems to cause nicks in the Pawl & Worm gears on the shaft.
This makes even more stop points and all parts have to be replaced to fix it right...

I am posting this here and other fishing boards to see if other Pluton owners are having the same problem.
With enough support/complaints maybe Daiwa will come up with a fix for this, rather then just continuing to replace the parts every time it happens, and having it happen again, and again......

The replacing of these parts is a nightmare, there are a lot of small parts to remove/replace the entire level wind system and its very time consuming and not easy..

Post you problems!!!!!!!!!

I will send the links to these board/forums to Daiwa Service...
They are a good company with good customer service & R&D and they make some very fine Reels..
Being a Dawia fanatic, I think they make the best of the best in Reels...
Im sure 'if' there are enough customers with the same problem they will do something and correct this design flaw or weak spot on an expensive & very popular reel.

xjdesertfox
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
ive spoken with a few tackle shops(one of them being daiwa authorized) and i was told the reel was designed like that intentionally. Since the reel was designed to take high strain, they didnt want direct drive on the levelwind and wanted it to be able to slip in order to protect the levelwind from breakage.

Nessie Hunter
01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Most all, of the well thought out, reels have a safety net in the Level Wind...
A point that goes out and saves the whole reel from damage. That is also an easy cheap fix...

Most dont have a softer Worm Shaft then Pawl.
Most dont have 5 hrs of work & $20 to fix it..
Shimano for one, ships the Nylon gear free, its a 2 min job to fix with free parts...
Daiwa also has the same policy....
Although I have never had or seen this problem with a Daiwa,,,, BEFORE ???

So that makes me think there is a design flaw!!!

Its not a safety break when it tears up the whole Level wind...

Wingnut
01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Frank is currently working on four of my Plutons. Three out of the four Plutons have this exact same problem. I know of a few other guys that have experienced this issue also with this reel, maybe they will chime in. Now, granted that I'm a lot rougher with my gear than most, but 3 out of 4?!? :Shocked:

Frank... LMAO at your PM, seriously?!? You found kelp "inside" of one of the reels!!! :EyePop: :LOL: :!!!: There ya go... Plutons aren't kelp proof... or maybe Wingnut proof. lol

xjdesertfox
01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Frank is currently working on four of my Plutons. Three out of the four Plutons have this exact same problem. I know of a few other guys that have experienced this issue also with this reel, maybe they will chime in. Now, granted that I'm a lot rougher with my gear than most, but 3 out of 4?!? :Shocked:

Frank... LMAO at your PM, seriously?!? You found kelp "inside" of one of the reels!!! :EyePop: :LOL: :!!!: There ya go... Plutons aren't kelp proof... or maybe Wingnut proof. lol

THATS CRAZY!...

...YOUVE GOT 4 PLUTONS?!?!:Razz:

thats pretty crazy, must be a damn common problem then.

BIGRED KILLA
01-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I have also encountered the same problem with my level wind on my Dawia Pluton when i purchased it new. I used the reel a half a dozen times and then noticed all my line gathering up on one side and thats when i got really pissed you spend all this money on a reel that you think is dependable and this happens really. It was very expensive to fix also at the local tackle shop and i really don't think i will purchase another Pluton again. All my Lunas are great to me no problems at all in the surf environment just clean them out once in a while and they are good to go and for the price i would go for a Luna instead.

Bigred

DarkShadow
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I wonder if the Daiwa Ryoga suffers from the same problem.