PDA

View Full Version : Current info on shore fishing?

Jake'sDad
01-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Well, I'm thinking of hitting the shoreline this weekend - for trout mostly. Have not been to DVL since summer when the water was much much lower. How is the access now? Do you need a machete to get to a lot of spots? Any bank to stand on or are you balancing on rocks and slopes to cast? Are you casting into a lot of branches and such so getting snagged all the time? Any info much appreciated!

BassHolic
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Try to bring different kinds of baits (jigs, kastmaster, power baits, floating worms.. etc.) and fish the coves. They will usually hit on a lure and once they seen it a few times then they will ignore it for a while - that is the time to switch to a different bait. Be persistent and you will catch them. Good Luck

HuskerRod
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I tell you this much. With the water up the walk to the waters edge is not quite so killer. The first few coves look to be pretty shoulder to shoulder (im lookingfrom a boat), but a few coves down it is nice and quiet. I used to ride a bike to the third cove, park it, and then walk down. If nothing else the bike ride was always pleasant.

Jake'sDad
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I tell you this much. With the water up the walk to the waters edge is not quite so killer. The first few coves look to be pretty shoulder to shoulder (im lookingfrom a boat), but a few coves down it is nice and quiet. I used to ride a bike to the third cove, park it, and then walk down. If nothing else the bike ride was always pleasant.

Yeah the hike down used to be a real pain. Is the large cove next to the dam crowded on shore as well? I might head that direction instead.

HuskerRod
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah the hike down used to be a real pain. Is the large cove next to the dam crowded on shore as well? I might head that direction instead.

No, its not that crowded over there or as crowded, but with the higher water there is not as many areas to fish over there either. The gradual sloping shoreline has been replaced by steep banks and some serious brush, but there are still spots...probably good ones too. Im talking about beyond the old road that led into the lake east towards the east dam.

BassHunter1979
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
The first 2 coves to the right of the marina were bringing in all the trout. From my boat, I saw a guy catch an 8 pounder there last week. The trout were REALLY close to shore. I think if they venture out too far they get eaten by Mr. Stripey.......fish close to shore and use powerbait, night crawlers, or smmall trout worms or jigs. good luck!