PDA

View Full Version : SARL report

E.A.R.G.
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
My C.U.N. mentee (Children Uniting Nations) Frankie told me that he has never caught a fish before in his life. I asked him if he wanted to. He said YEA!

So Frankie and I rolled down to Santa Ana River Lakes about 7:30 A.M. Had a little bit of a later start. I knew the fishing was going to be a little on the tougher side due to the heavy rains. The water was real murky with about a 6 inch visibility. I couldn't even see my jig barely hanging in the water.

I wasn't looking for limits, all I wanted was to get Frankie on his first fish.

The fishing was real tough and hard to buy a bite. Come around 10 A.M, I was getting a little worried because we hadn't had a single bite yet.

But right around 10 A.M the fish started to chew.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/ericchungw/IMG_0224.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/ericchungw/IMG_0227.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/ericchungw/IMG_0228.jpg

They were all pretty decent sized fish for Frankie. I got a dink 1 lber, but Frankies fish were all in the 2 lb class.
It was golden seeing his face expression when he was fighting these fish!

Great day out on the water! out by 2 pm!

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/ericchungw/IMG_0222.jpg

beautiful sky!!

-tight lines
EARG

smokehound
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Those guys look like they put up a nice fight

rabbit77
01-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I was out there a couple weeks back and heard they were biting on night crawlers what you get yours on?

E.A.R.G.
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Those guys look like they put up a nice fight
yea especially against an 11 year old boy first time fishing. he wanted to give up half way through, but I wouldn't let him!

I was out there a couple weeks back and heard they were biting on night crawlers what you get yours on?
I just used straight power bait, rainbow and garlic. carolina rig 6 inch leader. Guy next to me was using crawler and got one too. Didn't see much else being caught.

RiversideTrout77
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey great job on getting frankie on his fish fish. Thats awesome.

luckyjr21
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Good job, The bond you create when you go fishing with a young one last a life time, and the feeling you get when they bring in that fish is golden.

Thisfool
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
that is awsome. Thank you for being part of an organization like that. Do you think you can post up some info about that organization im sure others would be intreasted in it.

pitman
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Nice job. Now he's gona be hooked for life, like all of us!

E.A.R.G.
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words.
My mentee's name is Frankie, he'll be turning 12 this February. He's currently living in foster care with his two sisters.
Children Uniting Nations is an organization where they pair up volunteer mentors with foster kids, to be a role model type of figure. Forgive me for not knowing the exact statistics off the top of my head, but foster kids with a mentor are drastically less likely to end up in prison, and more likely to end up in college.
Its a great organization. If anyone wants to know more about it, or is interested in joining, the website is
http://www.childrenunitingnations.org/
If anyone wants to get in touch with a supervisor, you can shoot me a P.M. and I'll direct you to the correct channels.

TIGHT LINES GUYS!!!

troutdog
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Nice job out there EARG, I think I am going to look into this program....thanks for sharing the experience.

TD

NachoFish
01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Great report! I looked into this a little more and made some phone calls. What a great organization.....definitely worth checking out. Here are those stats E.A.R.G.

59% of mentored teens get better grades
81% teens feel that talking with adults helps reduce teen pregnancy
53% students credit mentors with improving their ability to avoid drugs
27% of mentored youth are less likely to begin using alcohol
52% of mentored students are less likely to skip school

E.A.R.G.
01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Great report! I looked into this a little more and made some phone calls. What a great organization.....definitely worth checking out. Here are those stats E.A.R.G.

59% of mentored teens get better grades
81% teens feel that talking with adults helps reduce teen pregnancy
53% students credit mentors with improving their ability to avoid drugs
27% of mentored youth are less likely to begin using alcohol
52% of mentored students are less likely to skip school

hey! wow you found the stats! thanks!
I actually got into this organization through someone on fishingnetwork haha.
Maybe more fishingnetwork people can get into this? Maybe get some kind of CUN-fishing thing going on! That'd be awesome
"me mentee can kick yo mentee's butt in fishin!" haha I can see it noww

BigBass777
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Always great to see a smile on a kids face after they catch a fish. It was a nice day to take him fishing.