PDA

View Full Version : AV Duct Fatty

yolo
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Back from vacation and back at work this morning. On the way home had the urge so I stopped by some open water and walked and tossed. No flow. Water down but not too low in this pool. I did the eeny, meeny, miny, moe on what lure to throw and it ended up on the KPN. I have not thrown it in awhile and since the water was stained and no flow, I thought a little rattling noise would be good anyway. I start at one bridge and walk about a 1/4 mile and get hit and hook up. No ripping current and my drag is set pretty tight but it is still running good and battling fiercely. I get it to the edge and it is not a steep slope where I am at and am able to get down to water's edge and grip it and land it. A real chunky sucker with big belly. Not DD but another close one though. Had the camera in my wife's car from our mini vacation so I took the pic when I got home. Obviously this one was kept. Going to make more striper jerky.

Tossed some more on the way back to the vehicle but no more biters. Windy and cold.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%201-10-11/Duct1-10-11.jpg

Bassnman Mike
01-10-2011, 06:13 PM
D@mn Z, You Da Man! Great job buddy!

HaiTheMeister
01-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Nice fish Yolo! Welcome back!

M@M
01-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Welcome back and nice fish AGAIN!!:Envious:

5BassReaper7
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Welcome Back and crongrats on that fatty !

yolo
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks all. I was kind of surprised to even nail one under the circumstances. Water being jacked with, stained, flow going from wide open to shut down plus this sucker was bursting at the seams and packed full of 2000+ shrimp and 1 minnow. I can't believe it was still feeding. There was no room in the stretched out stomach for a KPN sized anything. Just a little slit and the shrimp came flying out. I cut it all the way and it fell out like a big blob that took more than one heaping handful to clean up.

koifish
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Nice catch. Stop by Three point this morning on the way to job site. Water was so low. I got dizzy when I looked down to the bottom

yolo
01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
So my suspicion is correct that the whole west side is probably down to like 4' deep like it was a few weeks ago when they last lowered it. Are you working there at the duct or another job site?

Tr1p0d
01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
You are a duct junkie...

yolo
01-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Jay, I have been for 26+ years. Blame my dad for taking me out there. It was easy to get addicted back then. You had to work hard to skunk. Catching was pretty much a given. Then things went in cycles. Some good years, some ok years, some really crappy years and so on. I did quit fishing it for a few years when it was really crappy but I was riding my jet skis more then too and had less time to hit the duct and busy with making and raising 3 babies, lol.

Double A
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
way to announce that your back

nice feesh yolo

but, then again, it's like shooting fish in a barrell right now :ROFL:

sawoobley
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
It's not so impressive when they are so concentrated. Get an extension for you net and just scoop them out next time.

:Fishing Catch:

yolo
01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
LOL. I tried shooting the barrel but only holes with water coming out were present. I tried scooping with a swimming pool handle net and only got some clam shells.

I did catch it in a full water section.

koifish
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
So my suspicion is correct that the whole west side is probably down to like 4' deep like it was a few weeks ago when they last lowered it. Are you working there at the duct or another job site?

I just another job site no duct related. I could see at least 15-25 ft deep from the top to the bottom. That section of the duct is deep. I'm could not stand at the edge and afraid to fall down...hahahah. Here is the picture. sorry for the picture quality since it was early morning and my camera flash was not that good.

The bouy line is hanging in the air form the bl there is at least 15 ft to the water.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46339062@N06/5345380620/

cutbait
01-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Saw the title. "A/V duct fatty"

Thought it was going to be a biography post

Nice fish

yolo
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Saw the title. "A/V duct fatty"

Thought it was going to be a biography post

Nice fish

If you would have said autobiography I would have laughed and it would have come off as witty but now I see why they say the things they say about Bakans? :Wink: Damn you were so close though. Better luck next time.

Geraldlim
01-10-2011, 11:08 PM
It all seems so effortless for you!
That's the illusion of hard won knowledge and experience. Well done Yolo!

Lucky Lager
01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

yea, it looks like that DWR guy i talked to was wrong about the water not getting any lower.
i went out last night, and was shocked how low it had gotten. threw for a while, but without much action. had one blow up on my line as the slack came to rest on the water (it didn't go after my fluke, it went at the line itself). i worked that area hard, but couldn't get it to bite.
the night was nice though, no wind & glassy water. a fuller moon would have been nice.