PDA

View Full Version : lake perris report from sat..

MagicWorm
01-09-2011, 10:59 PM
me and my buddy go t to the lake around 7am. we went and got our parking pass the ranger said she thought there was a bass tournament going on that day... we were like sweet. we headed to the boat launch ramp till 8am threw a few robo worms no luck... then my buddies like lets go do the hike... lol. i knew that meant walk the dam. it was cold and a bit breezy but not as bas a slast week. so we made the hike. the lake was filled with bass boats pretty far out so we fig they must be deep... was gonna try a spot that was recommended but the pressure there throughout the day was high from the tourney and all... no big deal next time :)

it really looked like it was tough alot of people even on boats were no having any luck at least the ones we asked. my buddy was fishing texas style worm with no luck at all so was the other guy we met we were fishing next too. i was throwing robo worms - aarons magic - crawdad - margarita mutliater on a drop shot as usual... fished for an hr no love trying different colors etc....

an hr later bam got hit.... was a lil guy under a pound but fought pretty good and now the skunk was off my back :)
now it's time to catch the big one so i thought... i caught it on the purple margarita robo worm so i left it on there but he tore it up pretty good so i cut some of the worm off so it's now like a 3" and that really was the key the rest of the day as for me and the area we were fishing....

20min later i tell my buddy im getting a bite look at the rod tip and bam bent it good so im reeling drag is going and he dives deep. and wraps me around a rock must have hooked the side of his mouth cause i gave him slack as 2 try to get away from the rock and he got off :(

around 2pm is when i got the last fish.... on same setup drop shotting he was also under a pound but fought great :) it sure would have been nice to catch a 2lber plus but considering the conditions and how new i am to bass fishing 2weeks in 2 dinks are not that bad :) all in all was a fun day. not to breezy and not to cold if dressed right lol. think next time i might try my float tube so i can drop shot like 20ft from the dam and work the whole zone :)

sorry for the late report but my grandpas in the hospital and it don't look to good was good to actually post this and get my mind of him..... thanks guys for all the tips on perris i can't wait till march gets here :) but for now im just practicing and getting some time in the water :)

tight lines..
joshua

I M Hooked
01-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

bassgrabber1
01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanx for the report .....I got skunked on Sat. and it was very hard. Didn't see anyone catching fish. Sorry to hear about your Gramps.....tight lines and heads up.

MagicWorm
01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
where did you fish by????? dam we need to meet up i'm thinkin bout going next sat if everything goes as planned...

joshua

bassgrabber1
01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I was at the end of the dam where the tower is. We really should meet up one day.

MagicWorm
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
hmmm i was there too :) do you have a float tube?

what are you doing sat?

tight lines...
joshua

Socal Bassman
01-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the report. Keep on putting in the time and it will pay off. Hope to see you out there sometime. Although, I haven't been out there in some time.

bassgrabber1
01-11-2011, 08:00 AM
hmmm i was there too :) do you have a float tube?

what are you doing sat?

tight lines...
joshua

No float tube but would love to have one if I wasn't so broke right now. I can't make it Saturday because I have something going on. I will be there maybe on Sunday. I will also be there on Friday afternoon.

I M Hooked
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
No float tube but would love to have one if I wasn't so broke right now. I can't make it Saturday because I have something going on. I will be there maybe on Sunday. I will also be there on Friday afternoon.

What no Thurs. mission this week?

bassgrabber1
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
What no Thurs. mission this week?

I 'm switching it to Friday this week since it will be the warmest day of the week....Iam hoping that the bass move into shallow water for some warmth...lol

I M Hooked
01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I 'm switching it to Friday this week since it will be the warmest day of the week....Iam hoping that the bass move into shallow water for some warmth...lol

True. Even if they move into 20 ft you should be able to locate them at your spot.

bassgrabber1
01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Yup...I usually can meter them at about 25 feet or less.

carpanglerdude
01-11-2011, 11:04 PM
I was there Sunday, fished the dam for two hours. Got tired of losing dropshot rigs to the rocks (how do you guys deal with this btw?), switched to somehardbaits, but no luck either way. Lake was really calm, lots of birds on the shore.

I M Hooked
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I was there Sunday, fished the dam for two hours. Got tired of losing dropshot rigs to the rocks (how do you guys deal with this btw?), switched to somehardbaits, but no luck either way. Lake was really calm, lots of birds on the shore.

I hear ya. I used to hate that! Ive lost a whole pack of Badukan drop shot weights in an hour at the dam. I pretty much quit fishing the dam from shore, but there are alternatives. You could crimp a split-shot on. I use this technique a lot. Or you could use the poor mans drop shot where you crimp a split shot on below you worm. Split-shots are a lot cheaper than drop shot weights, but you are highly suceptable to line twist this way as there is no swivel in the weight to relieve it. You could fish heavier plastics weightless like the Senko, or my new favorite the Fat Ika. Also you could use a nail weight in you favorite plastic. These seme to work best for me with floating plastics, but seem like they also might work well in a creature or craw. My personal experience with T-rig and C-rig from shore at the dam was worse than the drop shot as I lost my whole rig on each cast instead of just the weight. Finally I heard that cranks work really well at the dam I just havent given them a try.

bassgrabber1
01-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I hear ya. I used to hate that! Ive lost a whole pack of Badukan drop shot weights in an hour at the dam. I pretty much quit fishing the dam from shore, but there are alternatives. You could crimp a split-shot on. I use this technique a lot. Or you could use the poor mans drop shot where you crimp a split shot on below you worm. Split-shots are a lot cheaper than drop shot weights, but you are highly suceptable to line twist this way as there is no swivel in the weight to relieve it. You could fish heavier plastics weightless like the Senko, or my new favorite the Fat Ika. Also you could use a nail weight in you favorite plastic. These seme to work best for me with floating plastics, but seem like they also might work well in a creature or craw. My personal experience with T-rig and C-rig from shore at the dam was worse than the drop shot as I lost my whole rig on each cast instead of just the weight. Finally I heard that cranks work really well at the dam I just havent given them a try.

The best IS with split shots used as drop shots. It a hell of a lot cheaper....lol

fishmounter
01-12-2011, 05:53 PM
For drop-shotting rocky areas, from shore,boat or float tube, round split shots are a no-brainer. If you get hung up between a couple of rocks, (and you will), if shaking it or going back over it doesn't get it free, just pull steady and the split shot will just pull off. You'll loose your weight, but that is way cheaper than a good DS hook. Just don't crimp the split shot onto your line too tight, especially if you are using 4 or 5 lb test or you may loose your whole rig.