PDA

View Full Version : Duct disappointment, but I aint quittin!

LeeRoy Jenkins!
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Hello all, been lurking for a couple weeks and made my first attempt on Saturday, I'm up in Fresno county and after soaking up all the good info you guys post here, I looked up some spots on Google Earth and went for it. The recent rains had made my plan of driving the dirt roads to my "A" and "B" spots a no go, so I headed to the Fairfax site. Had the place to myself (probly due to the *** freezing cold and wind) started with a rat l trap and on my 5th cast got slammed and hooked into what would've been my first striper and biggest freshwater fish ever, but she came unbuttoned about 3 minutes into the fight, this fish was easily DD, and I was SERIOUSLY discouraged at this point, but i had driven too far to give up... THREE hours later had another good fish follow my 1 oz. kastmaster up to the edge and turn away, AAARGH!!! Water was flowing and tea colored, could only see maybe 2 feet down, any other CenCal Ducters (Fresno County) out there? Was wondering how long it will take for the water to clear up, I have a score to settle! (Just what i needed, another addiction...) :Rolls Eyes:

yolo
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
A hook up and a follower on the first time out to the duct. I would be ecstatic not discouraged. Were you fishing the state run CA aqueduct or the federal run Mendota canal? Keep at it. You will get them.

cutbait
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Good report.

Too bad about the farmed fish. Stick with it.

No telling really how long we will have this dirty water.it all will depend so many variables. Just going to have to keep an eye out.

Glad to have a fresno ducter on.. I've ventured as far north as avenal

Double A
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Ooooooooo

your hooked now

and, there is no cure for this addiction

M@M
01-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Welcome and thanks for the report! That would be a great day for me!! You saw fish!!LOL
Sounds like you'll have your first Duct striper REAL soon.

Lucky Lager
01-10-2011, 03:40 PM
A hook up and a follower on the first time out to the duct. I would be ecstatic not discouraged. Were you fishing the state run CA aqueduct or the federal run Mendota canal? Keep at it. You will get them.

i was thinking the same thing.

too bad about the lost fish, but at least you kept your lure. i've been slammed, made a few cranks & POP! there goes my fish, and my lure.

LeeRoy Jenkins!
01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Yolo, yes, it was the state run duct and after rereading some of the skunk reports, "discouraged" probly wasnt the correct word to use, but losing that fish sucked! (especially since it was my fault for not having the drag set tight enough for a good hook set) Oh well, at least she's still out there healthy and hook free...

BigBassHogExpert
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Keep at it you'll get 'em. Key to duct striper fishing is keep moving, moving, moving - don't spend too much time on one spot.

yolo
01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Keep at it you'll get 'em. Key to duct striper fishing is keep moving, moving, moving - don't spend too much time on one spot.

You are scaring me. That's my slogan pretty much word for word, lol.

BigBassHogExpert
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
It's just the truth. No wonder you're having success.