PDA

View Full Version : Overnight or day and a half Mexico rockfishing

CraigH
01-09-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm thinking of going on one of the Mexico rockfishing trips the San Diego landings are running. Looks like an overnight trip runs $100 and a day and a half runs $200. Anyone been on these trips, and is there much difference in the fishing? I'm thinking the longer trip fishes farther south but if there is no difference in the fishing I'll spend the extra hundred on something else. Anyone have tackle recommendations for this kind of trip? I have 60 lb spectra and 1 and 2 pound weights.

murrieta angler
01-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Hey Craig,
A couple of guys from the site and myself are jumping on the Legend on the 21st for a day and a half trip.
If you want to join us, the more the merrier!
As far as the rockfishing goes, we are headed to Colonet. The rockfishing there is nice and you should pretty much clean up on the fish.
The difference in time does constitute how far a boat will travel. But, most boats have predestined spots for the rock fishing.
When you go, grab some jax jigs, diamond jigs and also bring some smaller leads, 4-10 ounces. The line is just fine and maybe even grab some flouro.
Wherever you go, you are going to get some fish!
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

n1ckxlam
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I will be there as well, look me up guys

Nick

LA Smoker
01-10-2011, 03:56 PM
IMHO there's a considerable difference in fishing between a Overnight and 1.5 winter rockcod trip.

Distance is definitely a factor, as you go further south the areas become more remote and less pressured. Yellowtail, depending on conditions, is not unheard of in the winter time in the Colonet area. Good rockfishing is usually a guarantee. However on overnights winter yellowtail is harder to come by, as todos santos is closed so the only real option is Coronado islands.

You also get to spend more time fishing on 1.5 trips. On overnight you fish from morning to about 2pm. 1.5 you generally fish from sun up to sun down. The crowd changes slightly on 1.5 day trips compared to overnights. $100.00 does a decent job at separating anglers from weekend warriors.

murrieta angler
01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
IMHO there's a considerable difference in fishing between a Overnight and 1.5 winter rockcod trip.

Distance is definitely a factor, as you go further south the areas become more remote and less pressured. Yellowtail, depending on conditions, is not unheard of in the winter time in the Colonet area. Good rockfishing is usually a guarantee. However on overnights winter yellowtail is harder to come by, as todos santos is closed so the only real option is Coronado islands.

You also get to spend more time fishing on 1.5 trips. On overnight you fish from morning to about 2pm. 1.5 you generally fish from sun up to sun down. The crowd changes slightly on 1.5 day trips compared to overnights. $100.00 does a decent job at separating anglers from weekend warriors.

I'll see you and Kevin on the 21st...."Weekend Warrior"...hehe

Robert
<><

ahi
01-15-2011, 09:37 AM
As folks have mentioned, there is a considerable advantage on going on a winter 1.5 dayer. You can get get to Colonet...and if you check the schedules, the earlier departure the better.

I've set up charters for trips to Colonet. Its best to leave around 6 pm the night before so the boat can be the first on the high spots on Colonet to try the homeguard yellows. Its a 12 hour ride down to Colonet.

IF the yellows are in a biting mood, its usually early and by 10 am, the boat has moved on to rockfishing the other spots in the area.

Good luck to all going fishing!