PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the month: How to use magic worm blowers!

smokehound
01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
We've all seen it- People holding up massive trout caught on inflated nightcrawlers..

However, many of us try using the "magic-worm-blower" and get pissed when we realize it doesn't work very well..

HOWEVER
"Magic worm-blowers" work just fine! there's a specific way to use them, though.

A common mistake when using this is to just jam the whole point in, which results in filling the body cavity with air-- useless as the air will just escape through the mouth or anus.

The CORRECT way to use them is to insert the VERY point just under the skin, then give a quick little squeeze on the blower.

Now here's the important part, keep the pressure on the blower as you remove it -- if you release while the point is still in the worm, you will just suck the air back out.

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

I drew a quick sketch to show how its done below.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/fnn/worm2.jpg

I tried to make it as clear as possible. My apologies if this confuses.

Good luck! Catch yourself some Lloyds! (slang for triploid trout)

Frequent Flyer
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
gotta lov a visual.....mayb this will teach my dad how 2 inflate a roboworm. personally i wld nevr do this but hes gettin old or somethin....sigh.....

Jake'sDad
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks again smokehound - I finally got back out to try using your advice. At first I had problems as I wasn't getting the point inserted at all but just pressing it against the worm. Finally was able to make things work. The biggest key is to not release any pressure on the blower until after removing it from the worm. I think that was my problem before - I was squeezing and releasing while the point was still inserted.

BUBBA RIG
01-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice thread Smoke and great illustrations as well. My nephew and I were having problems w/ the blower too last time we went for trout, hope to try some of your tips next time out.

Ry

Hometown
01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I never thought about the air escapeing when I releaseed the bottle I allways figured it just leeked out through the big hole I punched in it never thought about just putting in the tip at the right angle but great advice.
We've all seen it- People holding up massive trout caught on inflated nightcrawlers..

However, many of us try using the "magic-worm-blower" and get pissed when we realize it doesn't work very well..

HOWEVER
"Magic worm-blowers" work just fine! there's a specific way to use them, though.

A common mistake when using this is to just jam the whole point in, which results in filling the body cavity with air-- useless as the air will just escape through the mouth or anus.

The CORRECT way to use them is to insert the VERY point just under the skin, then give a quick little squeeze on the blower.

Now here's the important part, keep the pressure on the blower as you remove it -- if you release while the point is still in the worm, you will just suck the air back out.

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

I drew a quick sketch to show how its done below.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/HowToUseMagicWormBlower.png

I tried to make it as clear as possible. My apologies if this confuses.

Good luck! Catch yourself some Lloyds! (slang for triploid trout)

tunagod1
01-22-2011, 08:55 AM
My advice is to ditch the bottle inflator, the needle is too large the air gets pushed out the hole as the worm contracts. My preference is an insulin type hypodermic suringe. Everyone knows at least on person who is diabetic, ask them for a couple of suringes. The needle is extremely fine and the hole it make seals immediately.
I also recommend using the small/meduim size nightcrawlers for trout, the trout have an easier time taking that size worm. I usually, trim the worm by cutting off the tail end leaving about 2.5"-3" worm. I place the thru the cut end and run it up to the end of the shank. I infated the fat end of the worm. This keeps the worm alive underwater for a very long time. The worm will keep moving try to free itself from the hook. With this technique you can catch all sizes of trout. The hook I use is called an Izuo Improved self hooking hook, size 11 or 12, I have to order by phone from Hawaii. The hook is a very sharp, fine wire hook. The cost is reasonable 100 hooks for around $8.00 plus shipping. I usually order once a year for my friends and I.

tight lines
Tuna out

smokehound
01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
However, the problem with that, is it's illegal to carry a syringe without proof you have a prescription.

Yes, a syringe makes things a million times easier, but if a cop catches you using one and you aren't a diabetic, he gets the green-light to tear your car apart. Not worth the risk IMO..

And when he doesn't find drugs, he's gonna be pissed. :LOL:

E.A.R.G.
01-25-2011, 11:34 PM
haha yea i use syringes too.
imagine trying to explain to a police officer that you have them to inject worms with air LOL

STOPBUGGING
07-15-2011, 04:37 AM
haha as long as that wht your using it for you should be ok...i could se it now " but but sir i swear that what i use it for to inflate my worms when i fish" haha

Fish hard

bob sr
07-15-2011, 05:40 AM
what hook do you recommend?.......Please be very SPECIFIC!

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Thank you smokehound. I think this is good, when i tell some people about using these worm blowers they act like its a confusing concept. But you even have pictures. Smokehound you are a true fellow catfisherman. LOL, now you have to show people how you can use those worm blowers with a cut in half nightcrawler. And for those who might say its not possible to do, your wrong, cuz i do it all the time for cats and trout. Its deadly for trout. and actually pretty deadly for cats too.

fish-o-haulic
07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Oh dang i didnt realize how late i came to this thread.

smokehound
07-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I do fine with the cheapo- size 6 black octopus hooks from wal*mart!

Unless you're targeting larger trout, that case, i'd stick with Gamakatsu or Owner Octopus hooks., same size as above.

The cheap octo's bend easily, but are fine for trout from 1, to 3 lbs.

Heres one, has sufficient sizes. http://www.basspro.com/Owner®-Hooks-SSW-w/-Cutting-Point™/product/21648/-249503

(for larger trout)

bob sr
07-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Smokehound: thank you for your reply........how do you rig these hooks to the night crawler? could you do some more of those great illustrations? I catch lots of big trout on 2# line with Power Bait, but I want to learn how to use night crawlers the CORRECT way.........thanx again....Bob sr

boxl0bster
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Smokehound: thank you for your reply........how do you rig these hooks to the night crawler? could you do some more of those great illustrations? I catch lots of big trout on 2# line with Power Bait, but I want to learn how to use night crawlers the CORRECT way.........thanx again....Bob sr

have you tried using a worm threader? those work great and by threading the worm onto your hook/line you can catch several fish on one worm before having it torn off.

gzank6
04-04-2014, 08:32 AM
really late to this, it popped up when i was searching for something but great explanation. i've heard about this for sometime but never got a great idea of how to do it or why even. Last weekend a guy fishing down shore from me mentioned he was doing it and gave me a little insight but not as detailed as this. i'll try this out next time.

billy b
04-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Is this ... the fourth one down (AH) the one you're suggesting?

http://izuobrothers.com/category/fishing/hooks/

Interesting suggestion ... will have to try it

tight lines
Tuna out[/QUOTE]

TroutOnly
04-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,owner misquito hooks and i blow them up like a balloon ,then i know if the crawlers are old or fresh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the threaders are for a whole different way of fishing the worm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but there is threading the line back and forth thru the worm putting the barb in the collar then blowing up the short end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,caught alot of browns that way,,,,,,,,,,,,

sonia
07-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tip.

smokehound
07-23-2014, 07:28 PM
No problem, Sonia. ASL? LOL jk.

I wish i could afford owner hooks, haha.. not until i start breeding some P. metallica..

DaFish
10-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks sounds good