PDA

View Full Version : Yipes / Stripes

JIM E
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Well first off haven't been out since after Thanxgiving, due to the constant rain and other domestic duties around the house. Decided to get my 2011 licence yesterday, as today looked promising weather wise.
Got to the beach at 0715 and the water looked decent albeit there was a lot trash at the high tide line. Started as per my routine with a swimmy and connected after five casts with this guy.....:Cool:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/JIMKIM55/YipesStripes001.jpg

The swimmy was trashed from the butts teeth so I changed baits, but stuck with the same 3/8 head. I was getting tapped by smaller perch but nothing big enough to eat the bait. I came to a rock jetty and there looked to be a swiming pool size hole just to the left of it. I fired the swimmy in there and was slammed after about six cranks, I first I thought I had a nice YFT, but it turned into this.........:EyePop:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/JIMKIM55/YipesStripes004.jpg

Well needless to say, I'm thrilled and surprised.... After the photos he was revived and swam off strongly. Checked the connections and fired another cast into the same hole, after the second cast I'm hammed again and it's his smaller brother .....:Cool:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/JIMKIM55/YipesStripes005.jpg

tried a few more cast into the area with nothing to show, so I moved north to where I switched over to my bait stick, with a 2" MORF grub as my bait choice. While working the chosen area I managed a couple of beefy perch to round out the day.....:Cool:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/JIMKIM55/YipesStripes006.jpg

While working back I stopped at the same jetty and shot the grub on the opposite side, picked another big perch. Made another cast and low and behold I can't do nothing wrong today I got another bass.... :Shocked:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/JIMKIM55/YipesStripes007.jpg

Some days are better than others, but this day was a steller start to my 2011 surf fish season .....:Cool::Cool:

exfactor
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah I'll say. Three stripey's in one session out of the surf is unheard of down here. Plus bonus butt, and some good perchies for icing on the cake. Good job bro.

Wingnut
01-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Holy Cow Jim!!! :Shocked: THREE Stripers in one session... I've been trying to chase only ONE in the last few years. :LOL: What a great start to your 2011 surf fishing season, congrats! :Envious:

flyngby
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Jim,

Nice start in 2011! So close on the butt, a nice pig, and those linesiders are sure to fill up you PM Box with inquiries as to their location! Most excellent day in the surf!

RichB
01-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Holy Cow! Nice day out there! Congrats!

smokehound
01-08-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm not gonna ask for the specific area, but I'm assuming you caught these in ventura county?

What a great way to start the new-year! Congrats on the Striper trifecta!

DockRat
01-09-2011, 05:26 AM
:Worship: Holy Moly, 3 Stripers in one session, In cre da bul.:EyePop:

Never even seen one and been hanging at the beach since 1970.

I did read about a 6 lb one caught in Hermosa a couple weeks ago.
Will that motivate you to fish more ?
DR

murrieta angler
01-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Awesome Jim,
What a great way to bring in the New Year!
3 stripers, 1 almost legal hali and some lil piggies.
The Lord was definately smiling down on you!
Robert
<><

JIM E
01-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not gonna ask for the specific area, but I'm assuming you caught these in ventura county?

What a great way to start the new-year! Congrats on the Striper trifecta!

One would think the northern areas, but no, they were all caught at Dockweiler. All of the fish were in small area ajacent to a rock jetty. I was wondering last night if they followed each other from the delta to get here or just how they ended up here. Just one of those things that make you say....huh ???

Lucky Luis
01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Great job on those stripers and that hali.

Lipripper93561
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Nice jailbirds, and out of the salt too!

bones
01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Jim,
I'm Speechless.....And that's next to impossible to do to me :ROFL: Just ask the SWAT team!

Would you mind sharing some inside intel on that spot via a PM? I've got to get a striper from the surf B4 somebody else....LOL
Just out of curriousity .........Is there by chance an area near your spot where there is some fresh water breakthrough? I've heard that a drop of salinity in the surf might be a lineside magnent.

blackwater
01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Jim, you were struck by lightning THREE times in one day. What are the odds of surviving such a thing? :LOL: I'm sure that intel is worth at least a SWAT membership. :Wink: The Striped enemy agents has been eluding Commander Wingnut for years. :Twisted: What a New Year bonus, comgrats! :Big Grin:

PONTOON
01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
OMG Jim!

I just got home from an emergency call dowwntown and I get a text about Jims report and if I saw it? My response was no I didn't but I'll check it out.........

All I can say Jim is that you started out 2011 with an EPIC surf session! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the day with us.:Cool:

JapanRon
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Jim E,

Nice, nice, and nice ..... oh and jealous !!!!! WTG !!

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow that is a huge suprise for anyone, 3 stripers! Very nice work man.

eddiefishtaco
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice! cool pics and report

trollmiester
01-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Man pontoon just called me about this report. 12 minutes from my house i have got to go this year. Great catch.

Fire Ball
01-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Jeez! 3 stripers from the surf in 1 session?!??!?! I am definitely jealous, hahaha. Nice job!!

BIGBASS MB
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
hey Jim go buy a lottery ticket
MB

fishinone
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice job,

I had heard about striper in the surf down here but hadn't seen any.

I would love to catch some of those.