PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had DVL figured out.....1/7/11 report

BassHunter1979
01-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Beautiful day at DVL.....on the water by 710 in our Skeeter Bass Taxi. Everyone was hanging in the marina chucking swim baits. We were doing the same. Chucked BBZ's/KPN's/HUdds, you name it, we chucked it! I'm going to make this short and sweet.....didn't catch ****! Chucked big baits all day long for no love. We didn't see anyone catch anything other then a few trout from shore. Did see one guy land about an 8 pound trout from the 2nd cove to the right of the marina from the shore....nice fish buddy!
No boils, no fish jumping.....nada. I'm assuming the recent storms slowed things a bit. I guess I'll have to call Mr. Berry to teach me how to fish in these conditions. We heard a few 15 pounders (striper) were caught, however we didn't see anyone catch one. Trout bite seemed to be decent from the shoreline if you fish really close to the shore. We are gonna wait a few weeks before we go back to see if anything changes. Maybe I'll be back with Mr. Berry!!
On a positive note, Ken the Bas Taxi guy was really nice. The boat blows away the rentals in a heartbeat! The boat ran smoothly without a problem all day. I'm in the market for a bass boat and it was good to experience one for the first time. Thanks again Ken......might use you again and try the Ranger! Maybe you can roll with us and show us a thing or two!

liteline
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Don't feel too bad, I was there too, same exact story. I left around 1:30PM, there was a guy in front of the office taking pictures of 2 stripers about 12lb each. He had an old tan trihull boat. I think the bite was early or some where else. Keep trying,

Hal

Matt_Magnone
01-07-2011, 07:32 PM
kens and awesome guy and he offers a great service. where can you rent a bass boat for a day damn near the price of a lake rental? just awesome. killer deal when the average angler can feel like he's a pro in a rad boat.

bite was real early and short lived once boat pressure got on the water. we all gotta make sure we ease into spots slow with minimal noise and the bite will last ALOT longer. shut the motor off and glide into areas. turn the fishfinders off and all that jazz.i had 3 fish around 15 and a couple buddies had some nice ones close to 20. the bites there, you just have to work REAL hard for em. no secret spots or secret areas. i came back in at 8:30 before work and saw guys just stacked in the launch ramp. not really worth the time. dont be afraid to move around, the fish are everywhere throughout the lake. even where you least expect them to be. just gotta hunt em down!

good luck guys!!!

TroutOnly
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Lol,,,,,,,,, you thought you had it figured out,its winter wheres the bait,and as soon as the boats hit the water the big stripeys start moving down and away from them,,,,,,,learn to read the graph it will show everything you need to know ,besides find the bait and you will find the fish,they still have to eat no matter what time of the year it is,,,,,,oh maybe you can ask kooly,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,

Matt_Magnone
01-07-2011, 09:43 PM
yeeeeeeeesssssir!

BassHunter1979
01-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Lol,,,,,,,,, you thought you had it figured out,its winter wheres the bait,and as soon as the boats hit the water the big stripeys start moving down and away from them,,,,,,,learn to read the graph it will show everything you need to know ,besides find the bait and you will find the fish,they still have to eat no matter what time of the year it is,,,,,,oh maybe you can ask kooly,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,

Yeah I know. Trust me......I know what to do but I'm just not sure how to do it. I took me an hour to get the fish finder off the GPS mode and get it to the Sonar mode. Then to be able to find the bait and read the graph is a whole different story. It was tough. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at on the graph or what these infamous "Bait balls" look like. When I finally sack it up and go buy my boat and set it all up, I'll get dialed in. Out of all the people I know (friends), I am probably the most knowledgeable regarding fishing............so I have to pay the guides to further my knowledge. Unfortunately I didn't win the Mega Millions the other day so I have to spread out my spending spree. I'm only 30......I won't hit the bass circuit until I'm 40, so I have sometime....;-)

HuskerRod
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Heck,

Im 40, but i've put off the professional circuit till Im 50..heheeeh