PDA

View Full Version : not a report but duct related jager ramble

madwire3
01-07-2011, 12:09 AM
i planned on waiting 3-4 weeks after new years before i get my license butttttt the duct is calling too strong, i have it bad, chewed my fingernails down to the point of stingyness. going through way too many cigs, cant get my mind off of it so it looks like ill be getting it soon like this weekend probably...

last 7 trips to the duct produced skunks every time, a few bites that should have hooked up but for one reason or another no takes... i need my revenge and to start the year off good or bad, many new goalsfor theduct this year,, striper on lures, target lmb/spotties, target crappie/bluegill, target carp in the carp spots i know of. and a few others, mainly gonna slay some cats one way or another... the gills ive seen in the duct where hugeeee, very possible in my opinion to get a world record gill from the duct, ive seen a few in there that where easily mistaken for bass at a glance, and i never hear of anyone targeting bluegill out of the duct with the bigger game of stripers and kitties roaming people dont mess around with other options it seems,, well im gonna commit to chasing some gills with one rig while the other soaks for kitties this year.. id love to get on some crappie in there too but again never hear anything about crappie and ive NEVER seen any or heard of anyone i know or someone who knows who i know catch any in there so kinda iffy but still worth a shot toss some mini jigs and maybe minnows see what i can do.

jager bombs,,, yep time traveling rambleness.... anyways so yeah from u duct champs whats the word on crappie? any sightings or anything around bako in the duct ? im sure if they are in there in any numbers they move alot with the big stripers moving about but i still have a few spots i see ideal for these fun suckas... one spot is key for carp and possibly some gills/crappie if the big kitties move out... k im done for now just needed to vent so id lay off the nail biting... if anyone in bako is interested in joining these experimental chases let me know not planning on hitting any spots that are not known by people who fish the duct,, common areas mostly, dont see a reason to go far out of the way for fish people dont target out there,,, gotta be some here and there right?

Lucky Lager
01-07-2011, 03:08 AM
I'm always up for some good bluegill fishing, but I've never seen any in the AV duct. It sounds like you're seeing them up in Bako? Have you ever been to, or seen them in the AV?
I've gotten some good sized ones out of Quail Lake, but the water isn't moving very fast. What kind of rig do you use in the swift waters of the duct? And what kind of bait? Personally, I use meal worms for the gills, and Trout Magnet jigs for the croppy.

cutbait
01-07-2011, 06:07 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2010-11-25_09-47-46_701.jpg

Crappie and gill in the duct proof.

Chill homie. Duct's hard fishing right now. It will be back soon, and thats when you want to spend the time out there.

The blue gills are in the dead water inside the grates. Use redworms. DEEP.

Every bridge, undercrossing, grate has the potential for LMB. I personally caught 20 ish last year and been with others who caught just as many. A buddy of mine got a 10 lb class towards taft last week.

And you do know Tupman is the carp capital of all the world right?

yolo
01-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Chill homie. Duct's hard fishing right now. It will be back soon, and thats when you want to spend the time out there.

It's extra hard when you're 250 miles away from it like I am right now.

Tupman is more than that. It's Crap capitol too and that's with a capital C.

madwire3
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
theres one spot not close to tupman that i must say is way overloaded on carp, every evening ive been over there before the sun drops u can stand at the top of the cement and watch dozensssss of double digit class carp swimming so close to the edge their fins break surface... usually before id leave id bust out the flashlight and try to count em,,, highest i counted was over 30 all running a line 2 fish wide,, it kept going i gave up counting and bailed out,, i did toss corn one afternoon there aiming for one, pole set in a hole in the cement "pipe" i was working lures, apparently the drag was too tight on this old setup, bell rang i ran before i got to it "was only 25 feet from it" the pole busted in half and line snapped...

only other time i targeted carp in the duct got a 13 lber on, let the ol lady reel that one in.. wasnt hard to get action on em seemed easier then lakes and ponds besides the whole presentation finding dead zones or finding a time when the whole duct is dead water.

i have some plans for getting on the gills and crappie and that spot i mentionedwith the waves of carp is super ideal.. during last summer i seen numerous gills there, a bass bedding "yeah i was like wtf" a couple big goldfish mixed in with the smaller carp, couple shadows just out of veiw to make out but resembled stripers, one fish i cant identify seriously thought it was a trout "doubt it was but hard to say it took off when i seen it", caught bullheads there and a bunch of small cats.. seen a few cats struggling and after netting and investigating they had clearly been attacked by something else not just duct injuries u could make out the teeth lines "was wild"... so yeah the spot has visible fish and only about a mile away at a different location is where i seen the "are those bass?" big bluegill and caught a couple 5lb cats and a lmb

ive never been to the av so no idea whats there, seems like there has to be some up there if they are down here,, get pushed down through there maybe?

madwire3
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/2010-11-25_09-47-46_701.jpg

Crappie and gill in the duct proof.

The blue gills are in the dead water inside the grates. Use redworms. DEEP.

Every bridge, undercrossing, grate has the potential for LMB. I personally caught 20 ish last year and been with others who caught just as many. A buddy of mine got a 10 lb class towards taft last week.

whys it bad right now? all that rain? or ?????

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Not to disway you but with all of the duct efforts, your better off chasing the stripers…the prize matches the challenge in a much better fashion..

But if you insist…

I’ve seen what I believe were big gills only a few times out in Bako….now if ur in AV you might have mistaken the perch there for bluegill (don’t know where ur referring to)

Never seen any gills out there in AV.

There are certainly some chuncky LMB there as well but most are smaller variety..

Here’s the 2nd largest I’ve landed there to date:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/BaKo-DuCtlmb-2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/BaKo-DuCtlmb-1.jpg
Dirt battered…Of Course !
(don’t fret people –it was safely released after a mud bath)

I’ve also caught 1 spotted Bass bout 3 lbs there but again..those are few and far between..

I’ve never personally seen or caught the crappies but there may be small populations of them if they can survive stripey’s world….

Carp…well theres no shortage of them but they aren’t easy to get to go…

I actually tried for them one morning in Bako using corn..Masa Mix, Breadballs, crawlers, and they turned their stinky noses to all of the above baits…there were several 12-14 lb class jumping all round but couldn’t get them to bite…my guess is their eating the shrimp there…don’t know…just speculation as they gotta gorge to get that big but classic baits did not interest them….

As for the fish you thought was trout, I’d guess that was in Bako and that was most likely American Shad , I’ve seen schools of them 2-3 times out there and 2 of my friends caught 1 ea as well.. (1 to 3 lbs)

I could see them being mistaken for trout…

Anyways…go get ‘em tiger but I’ll still recommend going for MR stripey or at least Kitties instead….

As for the duct right now, water clarity sucks out in Bako…that’s what’s pretty tuff right now….

Just get out there and fish though….don’t plan a laundry list of goals as U might get too caught up in all that spreading urself too thin….

Concentrate on perfecting a tequnique to get U on a species regularly would be my best thoughts !

Good luck,
Gary

madwire3
01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
i feel ya gary but still have individual goals per trip.. targets... as does everyone else and sometimes those plans change big time depending on the conditions, ill always toss a lure for stripers when i hit the duct but i enjoy some light tackle sunfish and carp fun so just giving myself more options to beat the skunk,, i wouldnt mind perfecting a great tech for catching bluegill, crappie, and big carp from the duct, striper and cats too but everyoneeeee targets those two so might be a gold ticket for the other 3, well it is for carp just gotta find a couple techs to apply towards em, i have best luck with carp anywhere with a basic high low rig with i think size 14 circle hook and 1/4 to half oz weight on bottom.. slack line it so they lay on the bottom if possible if theres current just set up ur rod so its almost laying on the ground "secured" open veil... seems to be killer, screw hair rigs and other variations they suck for our carp... gonna get my 20lber this year

anyways thanks for the advice gary, oh and yeah i said i fish bako not the av, pay attention man haha

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Alrighty then…

Go get ‘em…Carp Killa’ : )

Inspiration : )
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cARP-2.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cARP-3.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cARP-1.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/cARP-4.jpg

madwire3
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
damn, thats definately some stink motivation right there, but lets let the ladies decide who's uglier haha those carp are kinda cute in comparison

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
damn, thats definately some stink motivation right there, but lets let the ladies decide who's uglier haha those carp are kinda cute in comparison
Real glad you feel that way...otherwise I might be concerned !

Ahhhh-ha ha ha

madwire3
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Real glad you feel that way...otherwise I might be concerned !

Ahhhh-ha ha ha

not all bako guys are as.... well, freindly as a couple others u know... haha c/b t/b aka Creepy Boys Touching Boys lol

fish4keep
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
A buddy of mine got a 10 lb class towards taft last week.

That give me more motivations to fish the duct. I know I'll be fishing the duct more this year since I started catching lmbs there. All the ones I've caught there were 2 - 3lbs. I saw a school of 6-7 lmbs in 2-4lbs once.

madwire3
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
That give me more motivations to fish the duct. I know I'll be fishing the duct more this year since I started catching lmbs there. All the ones I've caught there were 2 - 3lbs. I saw a school of 6-7 lmbs in 2-4lbs once.

bako area? i caught 2 both sight catches, my bro in law got one on a rattle trap.. seen a few others, people say they are few and far between but i see em often enough to hink otherwise, not big on bass but will never turn awayfrom tossing a lure their way for sure... that one gary posted is niceeee the ones i got where 2-3 lbs closer to 2 lbs im sure...

fish4keep
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
bako area? i caught 2 both sight catches, my bro in law got one on a rattle trap.. seen a few others, people say they are few and far between but i see em often enough to hink otherwise, not big on bass but will never turn awayfrom tossing a lure their way for sure... that one gary posted is niceeee the ones i got where 2-3 lbs closer to 2 lbs im sure...

yeah..........

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/wmvang/two.jpg

Forgot to mention, these were caught last month......

madwire3
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
nice, wouldnt mind pulling in one that size every now and then

cutbait
01-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Nice fish.. fish4keep.

Bassnman Mike
01-09-2011, 06:19 AM
yeah..........

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/wmvang/two.jpg

Forgot to mention, these were caught last month......

Nice bass! Obviously I need to start targeting duct largemouth.

CutBait, are you guys using the same lures that you use for stripers?

archer
01-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I got one two weeks ago on a super fluk 5-6 lbs

yolo
01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
The few times I have been to Bako, I always saw schools of LMB at many different spots. They are definitely in there. They would sometimes chase my lures bringing it in near the edge after working the rest of the water for stripers, but more out of curiosity. I didn't target them as they were in plain sight but saw lots of them. I finally saw a small school late last year here in the AV. I have seen one here and there but saw like 8 at one time that time.

I also saw a bunch of the American shad when in Bako. We used to have those here in the AV back in the day but have not seen them here in ages.

madwire3
01-09-2011, 10:58 AM
after being directed that the trout like fish i seen a glimpse of in the duct "doubted it was a trout but had no idea what it was .. i looked at images of american shad, very possible the same fish i seen but one of those really fast veiwings didnt get time to check it out, butttt i did see one that was probably a 1lb to 1.5lb at riverwalk a couple weeks ago after sundown, walked the edge with a flashlight before i left to see what was holding shallow, few good size bass, few bluegill, and this silver long trout like fish i thought was a trout til i got closer it just sat there shallow enough for its top fin to poke from the water, had ample time to inspect this fish and definately wasnt a trout, its possible someone caught a trout in the stocked lake and released it into the back one but this was very very clearly not a trout, another one of those riverwalk suprises, look like some good light tackle fun for sure though