PDA

View Full Version : Worm Blowers?

Jake'sDad
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Does anyone else have difficulty using a worm blower? Seems like the cheap ones I buy inject very little air and I end up getting frustrated cuz the crawler will not float after spending several minutes attempting to get it right. Is there a better worm blower for sale? Is there some special technique that works great? Any help appreciated.

MexicanPistachio
01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
hypodermic needle. smaller puncture into the worm holds more air without beating the worm up.

cutbait
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Hyperdermic is only way to go..

Jake'sDad
01-06-2011, 01:02 PM
So how/where can I purchase a hyperdermic? I don't have any drug addict friends.

Josh
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
personally I just go to the wife when I need my worm blown, but would never go with the cheap worm blowers out there, they never get it right, leave your worm beaten up and might give your worm something you don't want.

(sorry couldn't resist :Evil:)

Marley
01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Dang it Josh, I just can't bring myself to say it!

Insulin syringe is the way to go. My aunt gives me a bag of hers for Christmas. She just got a new style with an even smaller needle that works extremely well on the mealworms. I have been told that if you get the wrong sheriff's deputy, it's a possession offense (drug paraphernalia). Knock on wood, I have never come across that one.

NachoFish
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
So how/where can I purchase a hyperdermic? I don't have any drug addict friends.

Do you know someone that is diabetic? They don't need to be a drug addict.

personally I just go to the wife when I need my worm blown, but would never go with the cheap worm blowers out there, they never get it right, leave your worm beaten up and might give your worm something you don't want.

(sorry couldn't resist :Evil:)

:ROFL::ROFL:

Too funny! Wrong......but funny.

D

Josh
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
on a serious note there are places online that sell insulin needles, not sure on shipping policies and what not.

Josh
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
:ROFL::ROFL:

Too funny! Wrong......but funny.

D

No one ever said I was right in the head...

youngfish
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Insulin syringe is the way to go. My aunt gives me a bag of hers for Christmas. She just got a new style with an even smaller needle that works extremely well on the mealworms. I have been told that if you get the wrong sheriff's deputy, it's a possession offense (drug paraphernalia). Knock on wood, I have never come across that one.

x2, my bestfriend was pulled over, and had one in his tackle tray which was on his passenger seat, they saw it and he was cited for it. Be careful folks

Josh
01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

I say these things so you don't have to :Twisted:

billy b
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Also maybe you know a paramedic ... possibly a nurse?

CPT. Kirk
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
needles are illegal in california without a prescription be careful.

Hometown
01-06-2011, 11:26 PM
But we must think of all the fish that might get addicted to me catching them if I use a needle.
needles are illegal in california without a prescription be careful.

smokehound
01-08-2011, 09:37 PM
"Magic worm-blowers" work. there's a specific way to use them, though.

A common mistake when using this is to just jam the whole point in, which results in filling the body cavity with air-- useless as the air will just escape through the mouth or anus.

The CORRECT way to use them is to insert the VERY point just under the skin, then give a quick little squeeze on the blower.

Now here's the important part, keep the pressure on the blower as you remove it -- if you release while the point is still in the worm, you will just suck the air back out.

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

I drew a quick sketch to show how its done below.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/HowToUseMagicWormBlower.png

I tried to make it as clear as possible. My apologies if this confuses.

Jake'sDad
01-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks, that's a lot of help smokehound! I have definitely been doing it the wrong way. So do you have to use a whole worm and not half? If so I need to buy smaller crawlers. And about how many small injections will make it float - 3 or 4 about right or does it take more?

Recently I have tried floating the crawler by attaching a small marshmallow. The problem I keep having with this method is the marshmallow tends to come off after a short time. Anybody have any tricks in keeping a marshmallow on the hook with a worm? I have tried sliding it all the way over the eye on a baitholder hook and then attach the worm and tried rigging the worm first then attach marshmallow to the point of the hook. Also, I have tried attaching the worm to two points of a treble and the marshmallow to the other point. So far I am not satisfied with any of these approaches. What do you guys do?

Koshaw
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
You can also use a floating Berkley egg of the desired color-white, yellow, green, orange, red etc and they will help float the bait. Put the egg on first all the way up the single hook and then put the worm on, or just on one of the tines of a treble hook and the worm on the other two.

roby
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
smokehound

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

First off, thanks for the explanation. Second, do you insert the blower in several parts of the worm since you are making a lot of smaller air bubbles instead of one big one. For example, would I stick my blower in the worm 2-3 times total to inflate it..thanks.

smokehound
01-10-2011, 02:29 AM
smokehound

First off, thanks for the explanation. Second, do you insert the blower in several parts of the worm since you are making a lot of smaller air bubbles instead of one big one. For example, would I stick my blower in the worm 2-3 times total to inflate it..thanks.Yes, make multiple injections. For smaller worms, usually 2-3 bubbles do the trick, larger worms obviously require more. Remember to keep the opening of the needle pressed against the skin as you inject.

Jake'sDad-- Powerbait is MUCH better for that technique.. Powerbait+Inflated worms works great! A powermouse with great action! I generally avoid using power-eggs and trout-marshmallows, however they usually save my arse when everything else fails.

You can also fill the Magic Worm Blower with trout attractant, and inject the scent directly into the worm's skin, they still float just like with air, PLUS they keep the scent much longer. Try it! At first you may scoff at pouring that much expensive scent into that blower, but in the long-run it will actually waste less!

Injecting scents this way also works with artificials, like robo-worms, Big-hammers, senkos, etc!

Sublime-Steve
01-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Smokehound that was a bad *** illustration

Jake'sDad
01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Jake'sDad-- Powerbait is MUCH better for that technique.. Powerbait+Inflated worms works great! A powermouse with great action! I generally avoid using power-eggs and trout-marshmallows, however they usually save my arse when everything else fails.![/QUOTE]

I was trying the marshmallow without inflating the worm since I had such difficulty getting the worm inflated. And the power egg does not have as much buoyancy as the marshmallow so it doesn't seem to work unless you also inflate the worm - or maybe I am using too heavy a hook. I can't wait to put your great illustration to work. Thanks again.