PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing seal beach area

pike guy
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
ok so i will be heading out to seal beach for a day. ill be using my 11 foot daiwa sealine surf rod and an daiwa emcast 5500 reel. ill be useing a high/low rig and be using strips of squid as bait. any one know what bites squid there this time of year? any one know any good surf lures that they have had luck with? thanks!

smokehound
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Surf-fishing seal beach is alot more like fishing harbors, because of the relaxed waves.

You generally will not catch open-ocean species like barred surfperch there. The beach drops down quite steep into the water, so be careful where you're stepping. Because the wave action is weak here, pinpointing structure can be difficult, going during low tide will help you spot structure before the tide rolls back in.

With your bait, the majority of your catches will be stingrays. Speaking of which, round stingrays are very common here, so shuffling your feet in the water is a must.

I suggest bringing more than just squid. Bring some live mussels, ghost-shrimp (big-fish tackle usually has them) and lugworms. Halibut are biting well this time of year, so big-hammers and Lucky Crafts will certainly help.

That's basically all there is to this area. It's virtually just like harbor-fishing, but with more current

pike guy
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
thank you ill bring some of my big hammers and mussels.

smokehound
01-07-2011, 09:10 PM
No problem! I've caught some nice corbina here in winter.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-08-2011, 05:33 AM
try the channel, buy the cafe.we caught some decent yellowfin croakers,halis, and bass.on the channel side..that just a couple of months ago..if you have drop shot spinning rod .that would be a good idea.they sell bass tricks at big fish.also baby flukes on the drop shot rule every where.good luck....mike the pmb....