PDA

View Full Version : Finally broke the skunk...barely

oakboy
01-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Fished SC pier yesterday and was throwing Crack set up on a carolina rig and caught a WSP. Preety dang small but at least i broke my 5 session skunk fest.

<><
KP

DockRat
01-05-2011, 07:10 AM
When it comes to Hooks and Bait,

Go Small = More Hook Up's
Go Big = Hero or Zero (with Alot more Zeros).

With Gulp Camo Sand Worms, try fishing the surf from the sand with light gear.
2" piece of worm, 20" @ 4 lb leader, #8 or #6 hook, 1/2 oz sliding egg, swivel.

Try digging sandcrabs next to the pileings.
Good Luck, DR

oakboy
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I had that exact set up but i had a smaller sinker, i need to get bigger sinkers.

<><
KP

Natural Lefty
01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I always go about as small and light as I dare with my equipment. I don't catch a lot of big fish, but I don't often get skunked, either. The same goes for people who fish with me.

smokehound
01-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I've caught some gigantic spotfins with hooks I use for trout.

I was doing the bait N wait thing at NPH, and the usual tasty roe-filled sandcrabs just werent cutting it.

People were aiming for the spotfins with mussel, and they were catching a few fish here and there..

Still not bites for me. So I switched my 1/0 hook with a size-6 Octopus hook, and pinned a sandcrab the size of my thumbnail on it. A chunky 27-28 inch spotfin pounced on it. That thing took forever to tire out on 6-lb.. Sometimes a tiny hook and a tiny little bait are the only thing that will entice a monster into biting.

oakboy
01-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Another question, how do you pull a larger fish up on a pier with light line.

KP

smokehound
01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
umbrella nets are useful for that. You should be able to find some at walmart. You will also need a rope long enough to reach the water from the pier.

Make sure you tie a sound knot with the rope. Look up some rope knots to help you there.

Jigslinger
01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I've caught some gigantic spotfins with hooks I use for trout.

I was doing the bait N wait thing at NPH, and the usual tasty roe-filled sandcrabs just werent cutting it.

People were aiming for the spotfins with mussel, and they were catching a few fish here and there..

Where do you fish for spotfin in NPH? I've never caught on and always thought they're further South in San Diego. Would be neat to hook one on light line. I fish with no more the 6lb as well. That must have been a heck of a fight for you. :)

murrieta angler
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Good job getting that skunk off your back!
Robert
<><

smokehound
01-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Where do you fish for spotfin in NPH? I've never caught on and always thought they're further South in San Diego. Would be neat to hook one on light line. I fish with no more the 6lb as well. That must have been a heck of a fight for you. :)Usually, i see them further up the harbor.. THough in mid-summer they often gorge on sandcrabs in the surf-zone to fatten-up before breeding.

Swank909
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Where do you fish for spotfin in NPH? I've never caught on and always thought they're further South in San Diego. Would be neat to hook one on light line. I fish with no more the 6lb as well. That must have been a heck of a fight for you. :)

Yea thats a good question, I've caught plenty of Yellowfin Croaker but never spot fin. Hit me up with your spot lol!!