PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the surf to find Halibut

Cadillyak
01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I am unfamiliar as to how to fish for halibut in the surf or where to fish for them. I am located in San Diego. Any information is greatly appreciated.

DockRat
01-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I have some good advice;
Read SWAT Reports !
DR

stepchild
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
I have some good advice;
Read SWAT Reports !
DR

X2!!!!!!..they tell you the hardware their throwing but wont give up their locale as where to fish...sometimes we need to venture out on our own.try different beaches.where the surf isnt to big.look for a lil structure,and fish on!!!

bones
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
This time of year it's real hit or miss. Water temps are dipping into a "Non Halibut" Zone right now. Hali bite usually stabilizes around 58 degrees but some are still within casting distance. If you have the patience and are willing to walk then look for structure whether it's boilers or trenches. This time of year it's not uncommon to make hundreds of casts and walk alot until you find a few cold water holdovers. The strike zone also narrows quite a bit during the winter so slow it down if you are throwing hardbaits.Good thing is though that the big old perch are starting to show and the bite will improve over the next 60 days. Once all of the baby perch are in the surf line the hali's will move in to feast. Forage food must be up in the surf line for hali's to hang around.If you notice ANY bait fish in the water.....Hit the area hard with multiple casts to the same spot. Sometimes they are there......They just need to see your bait swim by a few times before they can't resist.
Good Luck!