PDA

View Full Version : No More Unemployment :-(

Sublime-Steve
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi my name is Steve i'm an avid fisherman and poster here on FNN I'm in need of a job badly. I'm no longer getting unemployment checks. I'm a photographer on the side and I shoot Wedding's, B-day's, and pretty much anything else, If you or someone you know needs a photographer PLEASE send me a PM. It will help out more then you know, here's a link with some pics Ive taken

www.sublime-steve.deviantart.com/gallery

Thankyou very much

Steve

Thisfool
01-05-2011, 12:41 AM
they just extended the ability to apply for an extension on your unemployment benefits.

Sublime-Steve
01-05-2011, 05:34 AM
ive been through all 4 extensions and the fed ed.. im 1 of the 99 weekers. :-(

DockRat
01-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Steve, You have some nice pics in the gallery.
I'm impressed.

ive been through all 4 hair extensions and the fed ed.. im 1 of the 99 cent tweekers. :-(

What is yor work history ?
What city are you in ?

DR

TopwaterBassin
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Steve, reapply, our friend just got an extension after being denied. They are getting benefits for another 20 weeks........

EL_CHIDO
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi my name is Steve i'm an avid fisherman and poster here on FNN I'm in need of a job badly. I'm no longer getting unemployment checks. I'm a photographer on the side and I shoot Wedding's, B-day's, and pretty much anything else, If you or someone you know needs a photographer PLEASE send me a PM. It will help out more then you know, here's a link with some pics Ive taken

www.sublime-steve.deviantart.com/gallery

Thankyou very much

Steve

You're a photographer on the side? What is your primary trade?

Daryl
01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
99 weeks of income without having to work?

The American Dream...

Josh
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
99 weeks of income without having to work?

The American Dream...

probably more like 99 weeks of looking for work and not finding any, being turned down for being overqualified, not being hired because they think you'd leave as soon as something better came along etc. Believe it or not, people are having trouble finding work and are not mooching off the system.

ghetto dad
01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
sorry Steve...ill be there soon...I havent had any income for over a month now....im only on my 2nd tier...but got caught up in that December mess....hopefully I will be receiving my next extension soon....

and josh..yeah thats pretty much it....ive either been under qualified for the higher paying jobs, or over qualified for the lower paying jobs..very frustrating and stressful

and remember...no one is bullet proof from losing their jobs these days.......think about that before making comments anyone....

Josh
01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
sorry Steve...ill be there soon...I havent had any income for over a month now....im only on my 2nd tier...but got caught up in that December mess....hopefully I will be receiving my next extension soon....

and josh..yeah thats pretty much it....ive either been under qualified for the higher paying jobs, or over qualified for the lower paying jobs..very frustrating and stressful

and remember...no one is bullet proof from losing their jobs these days.......think about that before making comments anyone....

I was laid off back in 06, had to worry about making sure I could make rent, finding a job, eating (unemployment does NOT pay well) and making sure I could get my meds (COBRA is/was a joke with the costs involved). I know how it goes. Fortunately I was able to find a job in a couple months but you are exactly right. No one is truly safe from losing their job and losing everything. It's not a picnic and not something most people would be happy/cheer about let alone having to go through the hoops of getting unemployment.

ghetto dad
01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
yeah....what most people seem to not realize is that on UE you make a LOT less then your previous place(s) ( I worked 2 jobs for years). It isn't a picnic, especially since they have been cutting extensions, approving them, cutting them again, approving them again (current). Its a mind f*** and the stress is unbelievable....i have an older son and 2 young daughters to take care of, so thank GOD my wife still have her job or IDK where wed be...

take care brother..go slay at Sante Fe!! lol

Josh
01-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks and hope you and yours stay well. I can't imagine the stress when there's a family to provide for, was bad enough when I only had to worry about me. Take care of yourself and hope you find work soon.

Daryl
01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I interviewed over 40 people in November and December. Two of the people that I offered a job to told me that the amount of money we were offering ($11.00 per hour) wasn't worth it; they were collecting a little less while collecting unemployment. I was told the max is somewhere around $400.00 per week.

The 2 that declined the job were probably over qualified which is why they were collecting the max amount, but to turn down a job because UE is paying close to the same amount didn't sit right with me.

It is a shame that any able-bodied individual that is willing and ready to work would face such difficulty finding a job, especially over a period of nearly 2 years.

Judging from the group of folks that I interviewed over the last couple of months, I'm pretty sure everyone that has posted on this thread so far would have a better chance at scoring a job during an interview. I cannot believe how many people lack basic skills.

In all sincerity guys, good luck to those of you that actually want to work and are actively looking, you are the people UE is intended to help.

Natural Lefty
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation, Steve. You are from MoVal also, are you not? I see people begging for money around here almost everyday. The situation is really bad. I thought that unemployment benefits were extended for 13 months plus Congress got a renewal of estate taxes enacted, in exchange for a 2 year extension of Bush's tax cuts for the rich. I guess the deal wasn't what I was lead to believe. Do you mean to say that the unemployment benefits still end after 99 weeks. My step-daughter has been unemployed most of the time these past two years, but she keeps getting jobs then losing them after her 3 month probationary period, so she has never gotten to the 99 week mark. Most recently, she has gotten some temp work.

Sorry to say, I am not in a position to hire anyone.

Josh
01-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I interviewed over 40 people in November and December. Two of the people that I offered a job to told me that the amount of money we were offering ($11.00 per hour) wasn't worth it; they were collecting a little less while collecting unemployment. I was told the max is somewhere around $400.00 per week.

The 2 that declined the job were probably over qualified which is why they were collecting the max amount, but to turn down a job because UE is paying close to the same amount didn't sit right with me.

It is a shame that any able-bodied individual that is willing and ready to work would face such difficulty finding a job, especially over a period of nearly 2 years.

Judging from the group of folks that I interviewed over the last couple of months, I'm pretty sure everyone that has posted on this thread so far would have a better chance at scoring a job during an interview. I cannot believe how many people lack basic skills.

In all sincerity guys, good luck to those of you that actually want to work and are actively looking, you are the people UE is intended to help.

For some it may not be worth it, especially when they are looking to make near what they are making before. Not saying they were right to turn down work but given that they made more to begin with (yes the more you made the more you get paid in UE) they are probably looking to be able to continue supporting their families. Yeah it sucks they turned down work but they are looking for something better (not saying what you were offering was bad).

To top that off there are a lot of people with a very specialized skillset who have lost their jobs, to turn around and train for a new job (something UE doesn't help with) costs time and money. You can't expect someone to go from a job in manufacturing to go on to a job in an office without training.

I've known quite a few people caught in that trap. I know some caught in it now. There's just not the demand for certain skillsets. Add to that, that in order to keep up with bills, with supporting a family, paying rent or a mortgage (especially here in So Cal) that people will always look for something that pays them enough to keep above water.

Do people game the system? Undoubtedly they do, I've known plenty of those as well. But I know more who are good people trying to find work that will pay them in their various industries and need the UE and extensions while they continue to look.

Josh
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation, Steve. You are from MoVal also, are you not? I see people begging for money around here almost everyday. The situation is really bad. I thought that unemployment benefits were extended for 13 months plus Congress got a renewal of estate taxes enacted, in exchange for a 2 year extension of Bush's tax cuts for the rich. I guess the deal wasn't what I was lead to believe. Do you mean to say that the unemployment benefits still end after 99 weeks. My step-daughter has been unemployed most of the time these past two years, but she keeps getting jobs then losing them after her 3 month probationary period, so she has never gotten to the 99 week mark. Most recently, she has gotten some temp work.

Sorry to say, I am not in a position to hire anyone.

UE did get extended again for 13 months and was signed I believe. Should be able to re-apply.

ghetto dad
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM

In all honesty, if UE is paying a person $400 per week, which is the equivalent to making $10 and hour (NOT including gas per week, depending on where you have to drive), and someone offered someone a job making LESS or the SAME then the person makes on UE, then of course most would turn it down, especially when that person is BARELY getting by on the UE payments. I wouldnt blame that person for turning it down. It all depends on each individuals financial situation and other things going on in their life.

And yes, it is a shame...its a shame that this economy has forced people and businesses out of work. I did not choose to get laid off from my job, that is what happened. No choice whatsoever.

I know MANY people that have been out of work for quite awhile, and have sent in literally hundreds of resumes, and the results have been the same for most. Either no reply back for the job, or either over or underqualified. I have NEVER been without work since I was able to work for a paycheck ( i worked as a pinhead on a boat since i was about 10 making a few $ for my pocket busting my butt, until I was able to get a paycheck). So 25 years of working, and I found myself without a job, for the first time in my life. I have NEVER received welfare, NEVER received ANY kind of aid whatsoever, disabilty, etc. So for the first time in my life I actually HAD to take UE ( I looked for work for over a month before i even APPLIED for UE, because I have a family to support, and had no choice at the time).

This really isnt directed towards you Darly, it is directed towards people that seem to "know" what they would do in each persons situation, when they have absolutely no clue.

Take care Daryl, keep on fishing brother!

ghetto dad
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
For some it may not be worth it, especially when they are looking to make near what they are making before. Not saying they were right to turn down work but given that they made more to begin with (yes the more you made the more you get paid in UE) they are probably looking to be able to continue supporting their families. Yeah it sucks they turned down work but they are looking for something better (not saying what you were offering was bad).

To top that off there are a lot of people with a very specialized skillset who have lost their jobs, to turn around and train for a new job (something UE doesn't help with) costs time and money. You can't expect someone to go from a job in manufacturing to go on to a job in an office without training.

I've known quite a few people caught in that trap. I know some caught in it now. There's just not the demand for certain skillsets. Add to that, that in order to keep up with bills, with supporting a family, paying rent or a mortgage (especially here in So Cal) that people will always look for something that pays them enough to keep above water.

Do people game the system? Undoubtedly they do, I've known plenty of those as well. But I know more who are good people trying to find work that will pay them in their various industries and need the UE and extensions while they continue to look.

well said josh.....

ok im done on this thread...everyone take care...Steve..good luck brother....

CPT. Kirk
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice Photos Steve. I wish I could help but I will keep you in mind if I come across anyone in need of a photographer.

Thisfool
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Hey daryl i would kill for a $11 an hour job right now i don't care if i have to shovel S*@T for 12 hours a day i need a job if have any kinda openings or think you will plz keep me in mind. i have a mechanical background about 90% experience i have is on repairing forklifts (the motor, the hydraulics and electrical) i have a little bit of experience in electrical forklifts and diesel. and i can read schematics

probably more like 99 weeks of looking for work and not finding any, being turned down for being overqualified, not being hired because they think you'd leave as soon as something better came along etc. Believe it or not, people are having trouble finding work and are not mooching off the system.

josh, ghetto dad you guys said it man i have literally been applying at places since the day i was laid off and now 7 months later and with only $800 left on my UE benefits i have only gotten one call back but it was a dead end. i was a mechanic and now just to try to get a job im going to get my guard card cuz i have seen so many security jobs posted up on craigslist

ghetto dad
01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
good luck brother....I hope you can find something soon....your UE should be ok, its back to 99 weeks (for now) so you shouldnt have any probs getting ure extensions....

Sublime-Steve
01-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey dock i worked @ ritz camera in canyon crest in riverside for a few year,,and now i am unemployed and shoot weddings and stuff like that thanks for lookin @ the gallery means alot to me

Sublime-Steve
01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
You're a photographer on the side? What is your primary trade?

I sold cameras for like 3 years, so id say ima salesman, I was 3rd in the district for selling protection plans and i can talk anyones ear off lol

Sublime-Steve
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

damn dude... couldnt have said it better myself

Sublime-Steve
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM

hire me.... i only got 360 every 2 weeks... my truck payment alone is 383 a month

EL_CHIDO
01-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I sold cameras for like 3 years, so id say ima salesman, I was 3rd in the district for selling protection plans and i can talk anyones ear off lol

Ok, just wanted to know the skill-set...I work for LA County and there are jobs starting to open up from Maintenance to Director. I'll suggest you anything if I see it.

evalrez
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Wow...really blows! Ive had this dead end temp job for 2 yrs now and its going no where fast. Its a job but its not stable. Quite stressful really....not knowing when my last day is going to be...not making much money to help my husband provide for our family, plus bills and rent, very stressful and depressing. I know my husband has been feeling the stress too. You know, you want to be able to provide for your kids and Im not talking things that they ask for because they want it or expensive purchases. Living from paycheck to paycheck sucks. Sometimes yes it does make me feel like less of a person because Im not able to help financially. Its a crappy feeling.....this thread is quite depressing!:Sad:

brycek1984
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Good luck to you Steve, and all others looking for a job.

BigBassHogExpert
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-YtM52aPE

ghetto dad
01-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow...really blows! Ive had this dead end temp job for 2 yrs now and its going no where fast. Its a job but its not stable. Quite stressful really....not knowing when my last day is going to be...not making much money to help my husband provide for our family, plus bills and rent, very stressful and depressing. I know my husband has been feeling the stress too. You know, you want to be able to provide for your kids and Im not talking things that they ask for because they want it or expensive purchases. Living from paycheck to paycheck sucks. Sometimes yes it does make me feel like less of a person because Im not able to help financially. Its a crappy feeling.....this thread is quite depressing!:Sad:

*****hugs*****

evalrez
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
*****hugs*****

**thanks**

Natural Lefty
01-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Steve, I think I have been to Ritz camera, a long time ago. Canyon Crest Towne Center is about halfway in between my house and my parents' house. In fact, my wife and I went to dinner there with my parents tonight, then we went to Big 5 in MoVal where we bought some shoes and fishing licences. (My wife said I wore out 4 pairs of shoes in 2010.) :Confused:

I am glad to find out that UE was extended for all as I thought it was, but it's definitely better to have a job from a psychological and economic standpoint. The problem is when the jobs don't pay enough to get by as so many here have experienced. Most jobs these days don't pay as much as they should.

Sublime-Steve
01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I still got no extension :-( who all is everyone?

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-08-2011, 05:24 PM
whats really happening is the men, and women ,that are use to making$ 56,000 $65,000 middle class wages.now, have been reduced .to accecpting a wage, lower than a less educated ,or technecal qualified person.its where we, in my opinion we are headed.if you dont like it. we can find people .who have got as much education, may be not the experiance ,who have no problem taking a job, for half the wages.ive been out of work ,due to my values as a service a/c , residental tech .which lost me my job ..my choice not to make my x boss take his profit, not being totally truthfull to my custumors, caused this scum bag to harresses me every day..till he laided me off even thuo, i produced or generated $800,000 in gross profits three times than any other tech in the company. the greed has to stop ,and the exporting ,of our unskilled labor force, over seas, has to stop .im going on my 3rd extenstion ,an have a more than ,bleak outlook at my age of 57.pretty soon there wont any middle class but a world of no choice.

BigBassHogExpert
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I agree with you PMB, there is no such thing as a "middle" class, at least not in California. It's simply the haves and the have-nots. You're also right that all technical jobs (i.e. database programmers, engineers, etc.) have been or are being exported to, among other places, China and India, and those jobs are never coming back to the U.S. Bottom line is that if you do not have a professional credential (i.e. doctor, lawyer, etc.) it's going to be very difficult making a living as an employee/wage-earner in the U.S. in general and California in particular in the future.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
what !! nobody else can come back.yea !!iI should be able find a job.kissing ***. not being able to due any ladder work ,but still bringing in minimum of $800,000.00 in gross profits.know 21% of there over head, including all manditary taxes, and all over head is what they are paying..due the math. of course, im sure ill be offered a fare wage of $45,000 on call 24/7, .after being married 3 times, because i was never at home. i say KMAZZZ.ive got a job lined up ,at my terms,because of ive my experiannce.. ill tell the guys, and girls facing the end of the line ,stand your ground if you can, and dont let these profit minded, not only , take advantage of your experiance ,and or trade ,make you take a job ,because of your financal situation. they dont care..its all about greed,,,, and guess what they dont even pay taxes ...go figure it..good luck, and peace out .......mike the pmb.......

DockRat
01-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Steve, You need to get off your *** and pound on doors daily.
99 weeks without work ? Can't imagine being out of work more than 2 weeks.
I drove Taxi (part time) after Rodney King riots since work was slow.

Waiting for some cushy photography job might never happen. Learn a trade as a back up.
I have done 3 career changes in 25 years not to mention selling auto parts on ebay on the side that were picked up on lunchbreak at Pick A Part.

I even was painting curbs on the side for a while. You can make a easy $20 a hour (cash) doing that.
Get some brass slide together stencils, tape, wire brush, paint. Best in the late afternoon before sunset.
Knock on doors, $5 to $7 a house. You get a job, then wire brush it, tape it off, paint the white, toss some glitter, move on, get another one, then go back and do the numbers on the previous one.

Got any skill, make stencils, do beach sunsets, whatever. then get $20 a house, wash cars, mow lawns, wax boats, hit up longshore parking lots and get aluminum cans.:Wink:

You might get lucky and get some older RICH Couger Mama and end up moving in and help her spend her money. :Thumbs Up::Dancing Banana::Thumbs Up:

Don't Laugh, a buddy of mine was a almost homeless drinker met this older gal at a bar.
Ended up moving in to her Palos Verdes house and driving her Porsche.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m223/flclnaota1/OoglyBoogly.jpg

Good Luck in your quest. DR

evalrez
01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Those are some good suggestions DR, but sometimes it's easier said than done.
Worth a try though Steve...might get a few takers. I was looking through some classifieds and found some photography listings...taking baby photos....better than nothin'

Cangler
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't mean to be rude , but have you done anything positive for the last 99 weeks ?

Going to school , volunteer work and retraining courses , besides looking good on your
cv , open up contacts in the community which lead to job opportunities.

Trolling internet forums isn't really regarded as productive .....

Viejo
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Dockrat...I like your style. I wondered how these guys all had time off during the week to go fishing.

I buy wood from a fellow that lost his job two years ago. He buys trees cut down by the local municipalities at a great discount down the hill after storms. He sells the wood he got last winter out of his truck up here where lots of folks heat with wood. He makes the rounds two days a week at the city yards and sells wood Wednesday though Saturday. I asked him how he was doing when he delivered my wood and he said, " I am able to make enough from November to March to be able to live the rest of the year and support my family (four kids...2 in college)." Spring and summer is when he cuts and splits the wood he gathers.

The volunteering idea is really a great way to network. You never know who is going to connected with a charity or good cause and volunteering has led to many good connections over the course of a lot of years for me.

Sublime Steve is a very talented photographer. A couple of thoughts...Lose the "Deviant" name on your photo site. That's great for the metal nose set but not so much for someone wanting to spend several thousand dollars on a wedding. Personal preference .....lost the licking the fish shot in your avatar. If someone were to see your posts, it comes across as....well weird.

Wish you well. It's a scary world without a steady income or even the prospect of it. Get out there and make your own luck!

smokehound
01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I was a former deviant-art member. I joined that site before it was invaded with the pure filth we see today.

It's a real shame, because this place had an excellent beginning. it was totally awesome. Then there was an admin mutiny, the site became a prisoner to the corporate media.. And oddly enough, after this happened, a huge wave of creepy furry/Guro/inflation/Vore-fetish serial-killer-types invaded.

There literally are hundreds of pedophiles there. This is not a blind jab at DA. This is pure truth.

Sick bastards that draw Kim Possible porn, and even Ed Edd, and EDDY porn. Not good for your own personal publicity. Find a new place to store your works.

IMO, a personal Portfolio is way more useful. I didnt find much work drawing until I wandered around all the beaches with a portfolio.

I was making decent money drawing quick pencil-portraits of couples. Maybe you can make a few bucks doing that with your photography!

bman90278
01-13-2011, 05:43 AM

They sounded stupid. The max in California right now has been $450 a week for several years now.

Here is a fact and I know it first hand because I'm able to file every time I finish a project at work.

You can actually make up to half of your unemployment amount a week and still get your full State EDD amount. IE, You work and make lets say $220 in a week....Well you would still get a State EDD check for $450 plus your other employment check. You just have to note it on you EDD form. Of course that amount may not be as nice as making $1500 to $2500 or more a week, but every dollar matters when you are out of work.

Also, you can make over half your EDD amount all the way up to $650 a week and you will still get partial EDD checks. I forget the actual formula but it does work out in your favor.

BTW, I'm very sorry to hear about Steve and the ones experiencing employment issues. I went through some tough times back in 08 when the Screen Actors Guild went on strike and I totally understand how stressful it can be.

Stay positive!

Brian

DockRat
01-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Steve, Sorry to be a dick BUT 99 weeks is a hell of a long time.
If you were 60 years old and trying to get a job making 6 figures (again) it would be different.
You look pretty young and in desperate times you need to pound on doors.

NOT checking Craigslist twice a day like others.
Hit every Camera store within 50 miles.
Then hit them agian every 2 weeks.

Just because you walked into a store asking for a job in November doesn't mean they aren't hiring today.

People quit there jobs, get sick, pregnent, die, move on, whatever. No opening yesterday.
Help wanted today. Luck and good timing help too.

If I needed someone I would call the eager ambitious guy that came in every 2 weeks over the guy who applied once. Have you hit up the camera stores in West LA ?

Too Far = Too Bad

I drove to San Diego too fill out a job app for a project in Brawley, that carried me 3 1/2 years
making good money for the wife and kids. Momma was a stay at home mom (no income).

Find some Asian guy with a store that could use a salesman without broken english.
DR

evalrez
01-13-2011, 11:18 AM
DR,

I know your posts aren't directed towards me but I read them and they are quite encouraging. I've been going through some personal struggles since October, not just financially but emotionally and everything else. It does me good to read your posts. You know, I think some ppl need constant encouragment so they realize that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Things don't come easy, I've learned that the hard way and now I'm paying the price :Crying:

Sublime-Steve
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks doc... for the encouragment and ive done what u said... 10 fold.. so much to where i quit looking for work. time to hit up all the places i did before... its kinda hard filling a quarter tank of gas and making that last 2 weeks cause all ur other money goes to bill's.. Takes money to make money... I NEED A SUGA MOMMMA! lol

5BassReaper7
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
damn those are some nice pictures. Would let you know if anyone needs their photo taken.

DockRat
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Sales Person (Santa Ana)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-13, 2:20PM PST
Reply to: job-tsrbx-2159070095@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samy’s Camera in Orange County is seeking an experienced full time sales person to work behind our very busy film counter. We are looking for an outgoing individual that will constantly strive to be number one in sales. Because we value loyal, optimistic employees who enjoy working as part of a team, we offer great benefits, solid management, and a fun work environment.

Job Duties:

• Sells a broad range of products to customer and works to achieve the highest-level of customer satisfaction
• Resolve specific customer questions
• Accurately operates retail cash register system being sure to capture name and address and proper sales information for all transactions.

Requirements:

• Retail Sales Experience
• Basic knowledge of Photography
• Excellent customer service skills
• Required to work weekends
• Excellent communication skills
• Bilingual a plus
• High School diploma or equivalent

Benefits:

Great benefit package includes participation in a Major Medical plan, Life Insurance, Dental, Vision and 401K plan. Employee discounts, Vacation, Sick and Holiday Pay, Direct Deposit.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sls/2159070095.html

bman90278
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Steve,

I just wanted to add that you certainly have photography talents and I have a few more comments.

Maybe it would be a great idea working for someone like Sammy's or another camera store. Sell yourself...Believe me, Sammy's wants guys who know photography! Working for a Camera store could be steady income and they probably offer fair employee discounts too. You never know...Maybe you build a relationship with a Canon or Nikon rep and before you know it, they're giving you equipment to test or use for your photography. If not, many companies offer killer deals for guys who sell their products. Plus you would be working in the same industry you love.

When I owned a professional drag racing team years ago, I certainly benefited by being a General Manager in the Automotive Racing Industry. I built great relationships with some of the big companies like Edelbrock, K&N, and Mickey Thompson tires to name a few. Of course I had to prove myself, but I had the personal contacts to which made sure the right people saw my proposals.

Also, you could use your photography deal as your side gig. You could schedule photography on your days off and such. I work with several pro photographers in the movies that only do their photography on the side.

After looking at your web link, I think you NEED to do an actual web site promoting your photography portfolio and services. Your site was more of a portfolio than a website. You also could do promotions throughout the year. People need a reason to call you and understand what you offer.

If you have any questions, feel free to pick my brain. I was GM in retail and was greatly involved in Marketing for 15 years.

Best of luck to you,

Brian

ghetto dad
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
its amazing that this thread about someones personal issues and concerns has turned into basically ripping apart people that are in very bad financial situations. until you know EACH persons situation, and exactly what they have tried to find a job that they can SURVIVE with, then people shouldn't judge or make judgmental comments. At one point, I also may have not thought or realized that finding a good paying job was as difficult as it is, until I personally got into that situation. I made easily TWICE as much working as I am making on Unemployment, and I have a lot of debt, monthly bills, and have young daughters that I am trying to raise. The implications that most people on UE are just lazy and aren't trying hard enough really p****** me off. I am taking this time to raise my daughters, which is a full time job in itself, while still looking for a LIVABLE WAGED JOB! Its not like I am living like a rock star on UE, because that is NOT the case. I have had to sell MOST of my fishing gear to get by at times, to make sure my daughters have what they need, but my daughters come before anyone or anything.

Anyways, have a great weekend....

Sublime-Steve
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Im sorry I didnt mean to piss anyone off.. i was just saying.. if you guys need pics lemme know and if ur hiring let me know also.. Im glad that there are ppl out there that care and ppl actually responded to this anything helps

ghetto dad
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Im sorry I didnt mean to piss anyone off.. i was just saying.. if you guys need pics lemme know and if ur hiring let me know also.. Im glad that there are ppl out there that care and ppl actually responded to this anything helps

no need to apologize to anyone brother..all you did was ask for help, and it turned into 5 pages of some negative bs and judging people....good luck brother.....

Josh
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Don't sweat it man. You posted looking for help, no one knows what it's like until they've walked a mile in those shoes.

bman90278
01-14-2011, 12:51 PM

And I want to say I hope I didn't affend you Steve. I really think you have a photographic talent and wanted to throw a few ideas at you.

I commend you for having the ballz and posting this thread.

Again, please don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any questions.

Brian

Cangler
01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
its amazing that this thread about someones personal issues and concerns has turned into basically ripping apart people that are in very bad financial situations. until you know EACH persons situation, and exactly what they have tried to find a job that they can SURVIVE with, then people shouldn't judge or make judgmental comments. At one point, I also may have not thought or realized that finding a good paying job was as difficult as it is, until I personally got into that situation. I made easily TWICE as much working as I am making on Unemployment, and I have a lot of debt, monthly bills, and have young daughters that I am trying to raise. The implications that most people on UE are just lazy and aren't trying hard enough really p****** me off. I am taking this time to raise my daughters, which is a full time job in itself, while still looking for a LIVABLE WAGED JOB! Its not like I am living like a rock star on UE, because that is NOT the case. I have had to sell MOST of my fishing gear to get by at times, to make sure my daughters have what they need, but my daughters come before anyone or anything.

Anyways, have a great weekend....

There has more than enough personal tragedies on this board in the past year.
We all have problems in real life.
No-one is being judgmental.
However , if you choose to post your personal issues on a fishing forum ,you should expect some
negativity as everyone has their opinions.
Unless of course , you were trolling for a T57 hug ..