PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever hike down the backside of PVR?

troutchaser51
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
I grew up in Bishop fishing literally every day from spring to fall. It was during a time when an 8 year old could jump on his bike with a tackle box in one hand and rod in the other and ride for miles until he came upon one of his many favorite holes. Twenty years of my life was spent stalking wild trout in the lakes, rivers, and streams that surround Bishop. We stayed away from the planters; mushy, whimpy DFG mutants. We left them for the weekenders....or as we called 'em, the flatlanders (no offense to those of you who are truly committed to the pursuit of wild trout).

Now, I grew up with a father who was, I dare say, one of the most notorious poachers in the region. He was commonly seen in the Inyo Register holding 10+ lb. Brown Trout taken from a myriad of locations....Crowley, Upper Twin, East Walker, Upper Owens, but mostly the Pleasant Valley Resevoir.

Now when I say poacher in fishing terms I mean night fishing with live bait. As a kid it was my job to catch the live bait. We would mosey on down to the inlet at PVR where I would fish for Chubs using an egg hook with a small piece of a worm on it. Once I filled the bucket we would hike back out and then drive over to the south rim of the resevoir where we would begin our descent down the rocky crags to find a small sand bar somewhere at the bottom. We would set up camp as the sun was going down and get nestled in for a long night of fishing....and we were rarely disappointed.

Fortunately for me, as I grew older, the appeal of fishing outside the limits of the law just didn't set well with me. I found it a greater challenge to find ways of enticing big fish through legal channels. But, regardless of one's fishing convictions, let me recommed a hike down the south slope....and let me suggest a muddler minnow or wooly bugger on 7 ft light lead using a shot filled clear bubble to get you down just above the rocks on the bottom with a slow, twitching retrieve......oh baby, how I miss hooking into a 5+ brown on a cold fall morning.

I'll have to tell y'all about the biggest trout I ever saw that is still lurking the depths of PVR after breaking off 25 lb. test after a monstrous leap out of the water leaving six very experienced big trout fishermen standing silently with their mouths agape knowing that nobody would ever believe them....and no, it's not just another fish story.

Best,
Troutchaser

cjschock
01-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Interesting, I am not the least bit surprised to hear about poaching for browns up there. I have heard many the stories of guys using live bait up there. Glad to hear you changed you methods as you grew up. I love PVR and have hiked down the far bank and was not disappointed. 4 years ago I went down in Dec and hiked down at night. No whoppers but good quantity of browns, rainbows, and to my surprise; 4 sac perch in the middle of Dec. I love targeting trophy fish using rapalas and swimbaits. Every trip my fish are getting bigger and bigger. I am hoping to move up there in a few years when I finish my nursing program. Thanks for the report.

troutchaser51
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
You are a fan of my all time favorite swim bait, the Rapala. I used one version or another on almost every body of water up there and have rarely been dissappointed. I have even very small versions in some of the little irrigation creeks that flow around the town.

I envy that you will be able to relocate up there soon. I understand that the hospital is going through quite an expanssion right now. I have a friend who is working on the HVAC on the project.

Good luck to you. Don't know what your experience is fishing the area, but I think you will be amazed as you get to know some of the long time locals up there, at some of the places that they recommend as their favorite fishing spots. Most people not familiar with the area just drive right by them.

Best,
Troutchaser

Viejo
01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
What a thing to be known for in a small community like Bishop. Thanks for sharing the specifc method and location and how to poach a big fish in the Sierras. It's still just as repugnant as it was back then.

troutchaser51
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Couldn't agree with you more....it's just a shame you take such offense to a simple story.

golfish
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
. We left them for the weekenders....or as we called 'em, the flatlanders (no offense to those of you who are truly committed to the pursuit of wild trout).

I recall having a nice breakfast in Mammoth about 10-20 years ago. It was a few days before the "Double Haul in the fall" started. I over heard one of the guys working at the fly shop next to "the breakfast club" say "I'm tired of these flatlanders coming up here and catching all our fish" :)

I wonder how long that fly shop, or Vons, motel, Restaurant, gas station, ski rental, your poaching daddy, the list goes on, would last with out "flatlanders" ?

TroutOnly
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
The poachers still,do it many a time im coming out right at dark and they are rolling in for the night work,,,,,,i beleave the big fish story ive been worked many times there ,i work in the area all the time so i get fish it alot, the indians have taught me some great tricks,,,,,,,,,,

Viejo
01-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Couldn't agree with you more....it's just a shame you take such offense to a simple story.

I liked your story. It's not the story....it's the recounting the exact method that works for catching big fish illegally and exactly where and how to do it. I savvy that you have changed your ways and salute that. There are those reading who are less ethical then you.

tpfishnfool
01-08-2011, 07:41 AM
I have seen the local Indian people walking out at pvr in the early morning with stringers of big *** browns. Ask them what they got them on and all they would say is ''Pink Powerbait''. Yea right !!
Prob using chubs all night long.

troutchaser51
01-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I won't say that none of the Indian residents engage in occasional poaching activities; however, I have watched them catch large Browns from many shores in the Eastern Sierra nestled between dozens of other fishermen who were getting skunked. They definitely have some tricks that they gaurd with intense loyalty. Only a few people are privileged to have been taught some of these secrets....most of which you would think are about as realistic as using "pink Power Bait" =)