PDA

View Full Version : La Mirada-Laguna-skunk

The Rookie
01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
On Thursday the 30th I fished Laguna for 1.5 hours and earned a Skunk. I used Chunky Cheese Gulp on a 14" leader, 2lb test, slow retrieve, moving around, no bites... nada. I saw several other fishermen out using the PB, bait n' wait, and saw not one fish caught.

Today, I hit up La Mirada, worked the shore slowly with the Gulp+scent on 6-14" leaders, for 2+hrs, for nada, no bites.
*I did get some tips from a local with no license who told me how to snag the trout with a treble hook as they swimn by. Thanks alot jerkface, go buy a license.

Anyone have a better or worse experience? What up?

bulletoothulk
01-03-2011, 08:31 PM
was there the 30 and 31with my son skunked both days , i live 5 mins away and would rather drive to laguna lake

bman90278
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
On Thursday the 30th I fished Laguna for 1.5 hours and earned a Skunk. I used Chunky Cheese Gulp on a 14" leader, 2lb test, slow retrieve, moving around, no bites... nada. I saw several other fishermen out using the PB, bait n' wait, and saw not one fish caught.

Today, I hit up La Mirada, worked the shore slowly with the Gulp+scent on 6-14" leaders, for 2+hrs, for nada, no bites.
*I did get some tips from a local with no license who told me how to snag the trout with a treble hook as they swimn by. Thanks alot jerkface, go buy a license.

Anyone have a better or worse experience? What up?

Why didn't you try something different? If you are using a spinner or a lure you can move around lake faster and find trout in different areas. Alot of times I try various lures and notice I have trout followers and many other times you will notice trout starting to cruise around, where I wouldn't notice if I was using a powerbait that wasn't attracting them. I feel using powerbait or similar bait will greatly limit your success unless you know you are in an area that is holding trout. Also, when I bring my son fishing with me I will use powerbaits for him and sometimes it takes several different powerbaits and scents before I get hit.

BTW, how did you know the jerface didn't have a license? However I will agree the guy is a jerkface if he was snagging fish.

Thanks for the report and you will get them next time!

Brian

EL_CHIDO
01-04-2011, 02:50 PM
BTW, how did you know the jerface didn't have a license?

Deductive reasoning, dear Watson!

Snagger = illegal
No license = illegal

A snagger will most likely have no license due to his/her outlaw ways.

:P

bman90278
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Deductive reasoning, dear Watson!

Snagger = illegal
No license = illegal

A snagger will most likely have no license due to his/her outlaw ways.

:P

Very likely could be true, but doesn't mean it was the case. I've seen plenty of illegal acts by fisherman wearing their licenses. That's all I was sayin...Either way, licensed fisherman or not, the snaggers deserve big tickets!!!!!

Brian

The Rookie
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks bman, I'll try some small lures, I've only had success with bait n' wait in the past.
The snagger guy was working his way around the lake w/ a 6-8 size treble hook, no bait, and displaying no license, I'm glad he got skunked too.

TUNAVIC
01-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Check out my thread on lethargic stocked trout! I know the feeling

troutman27
01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
The license doesn't need to be displayed anymore.

Fysher
01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk. It's possible that they didn't stock due to water conditions from the storm. A tip for Laguna and other city parks when the bite is tough. Switch to natural bait such as earthworms, nightcrawlers, mealworms, crickets and so on...

I was on fire one time at Laguna during the rain (love fishing in the rain) using natural bait and the locals got mad because I was catching them left and right, so they decided to call DFG. Well, they did show up in the rain, came over to me and said that they were called in because someone notified them that I had over my limit. Here's the conversation:

DFG: Hi, how are you doing, can I see your license?
Me: Doing good, here you go.
DFG: Heard from fellow anglers that you had over your limit, do you know what the limit is here?
Me: Yes, the limit is 2, and yes I did catch over my limit but I'm not keeping anything, so I'm not in violation.
DFG: You sure?
Me: Yes, go ahead and check my back pack, car or whatever you want to check.
DFG: It's okay, I believe you.
DFG: How's the fishing?
Me: For me, it's great, for others, they're not catching anything.
DFG: I see, well have a good day.

Like I said, it's called fishing and not catching. Have to do your homework and find out what they want. Once you find out what they want, keep that in mind and apply that bait and/or technique at other places as well.

Good luck next time, you'll get them.

smokehound
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm happy those locals were upset. This is why I enjoy this lake. People are watching it, and they love their lake!

Lol funny how they got miffed at you.. Maybe it was a fisherman nearby that was skunked and jealous of ya.

Fysher
01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Agree with you smokehound. That's why I love that place as well. Love that the limit is 2 because I can come back a week after they stock and still catch fish, can't do that with any other city parks. I figured out who that person was that called but it's all good because he was looking out for the lake. Funny how that guy who called them came over to me later and asked how's the fishing (when he was fishing 20 feet away from me for about an hour or so) and what I was using hahaha

How I see it sometimes is, if you want to beat the skunk, talk to the locals or fellow anglers there that are catching fish and see what they are using. Not all anglers are bad people. I personally will share information on what I'm using if I'm catching fish and others aren't. Just have to come up to me and talk.