PDA

View Full Version : Snow Duct Striper

yolo
01-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Playing all day with the family in the snow. Kids went to grandpa's in the afternoon and I went out for an hour to fish the snowy duct. Two spots for nothing and then decided to hit up a spot I have not gone to in awhile in open water. I was working the Basstrix tube and after about 5 minutes I had a hit and hook up. Decent battle and it got landed. Dragging it up the snowy duct side was my only chance of landing it as I was not even going to attempt to go down and grip it. Kept for me because my freezer is empty of fish. Gave all that I had away before Christmas and I have a craving for striper. Almost a DD but not quite.
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%201-3-11/Duct1-3-11_1.jpg

Double A
01-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I had a feeling that we were gonna see a striper-cicle from you

Way to go Yolo

Love to Fish
01-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Congrats on the catch, Really thinking about trying the duct. Does anyone know if the spot on Ave. S in palmdale any good?

yolo
01-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks Double A.

Love To Fish, It's as good a spot as any if you are there when the fish are there. It could also be the worst spot if they are not. I have caught there and been skunked there. That's my quick stop if I'm heading to work and get the urge. Also go there when my son is at soccer practice in the fall down the street from there. Those quick stops have been productive at times. Just happen to be there when the fish are there. I lost my personal best right next to it at Tierra Subida. It was mid to high 20's. Traffic was stopping on the bridge watching me battle it.

M@M
01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Way to go Yolo! I'm going to spend more time fishing in Palmdale this Year! Need some Striper Meat myself.:Smile:

HaiTheMeister
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Way to start off the New Year right! Congrats on the nice fish. A great beginning of another great year!

yolo
01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Great start to the new year. May it be better than the last and that goes for all that fish it.

Here's a scenery shot I forgot I had on my phone
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%201-3-11/IMG_20110103_072041.jpg

CL SmooV
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice fish snow fish Yolo.....

madwire3
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Great start to the new year. May it be better than the last and that goes for all that fish it.

Here's a scenery shot I forgot I had on my phone
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%201-3-11/IMG_20110103_072041.jpg

sweet... looks so alien to me never seen the duct with snow all over,, damn bako

BigBassHogExpert
01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah, nice job! If that's not a DD, it sure looks close, I've been doing really well at the AV duct recently too. I'm not sure that I would actually consume fish from the duct though, lots of pesticides, fertilizer, pollutants, chemicals, trash, etc. But hey, life is short right? Anyways, nice hog, rack 'em!!

trail blazer
01-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Great way to put the KABOSH on the winter blues YOLO!

Looks like its abought time to put a hurting on some bako units,,,,,,Your post has awaknd the FEVERRR

TB

yolo
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, nice job! If that's not a DD, it sure looks close, I've been doing really well at the AV duct recently too. I'm not sure that I would actually consume fish from the duct though, lots of pesticides, fertilizer, pollutants, chemicals, trash, etc. But hey, life is short right? Anyways, nice hog, rack 'em!!

Might have been a DD? I don't know? It was healthy and the length put it there borderline so I just called it an almost. It doesn't matter really. There have been so many DD's recently in the AV for me that I lost track. I don't recall catching so many in one fall/winter season as this. It is an elevated waterway and should not get much run off into it. Maybe airborne stuff from all the agriculture in the middle of the state but any body of water will have some of that. At least it flows and gets very oxygenated from the gate systems. I would eat a fish out of the duct way before some of the lakes. Like with anything, moderation is the key. A few times a month of eating striper is not going to kill me.

Got any reports or pics of your catches? Would like to see some other AV reports with pics besides mine.

Great way to put the KABOSH on the winter blues YOLO!

Looks like its abought time to put a hurting on some bako units,,,,,,Your post has awaknd the FEVERRR

TB

Go cure that fever and get out there and get some.

Lucky Lager
01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Got any reports or pics of your catches? Would like to see some other AV reports with pics besides mine.

Hey now, quit bragging! Some of us don't have the same skills that you do, lol!
Trust me, I'd love to post as much as you do, and if I did they'd mostly be skunk reports, lol. I need to step it up, I'll be bbqing the last of what I have in the freezer this weekend.
I really wanted to get out there in the snow, but I was snowed in....I need to get a 4x4.
Nice catch by the way!

yolo
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Lucky, I was asking BigBassHogExpert about seeing some more AV duct pics since he said he has been getting them too.

Love to Fish
01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Double A.

Love To Fish, It's as good a spot as any if you are there when the fish are there. It could also be the worst spot if they are not. I have caught there and been skunked there. That's my quick stop if I'm heading to work and get the urge. Also go there when my son is at soccer practice in the fall down the street from there. Those quick stops have been productive at times. Just happen to be there when the fish are there. I lost my personal best right next to it at Tierra Subida. It was mid to high 20's. Traffic was stopping on the bridge watching me battle it.

Thanks for the info, Will try fishing there and will post on how it goes.

yolo
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Will try fishing there and will post on how it goes.

Yeah you will never know unless you try. Good luck and I hope it produces for you like it has for me. There is a big snag just down flow of the buoys if you work the bottom there. 50 yards past is clear. Just saving you some money by not donating lures to the duct unnecessarily.

GREENSTINKYFEET
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Great job yolo!!!!! You keep impressing us even in extreme weather conditions.

koifish
01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Wtg ....great start for the new year.

BigBassHogExpert
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't post freshwater reports as I've gotten "spot burned" too many times in the past. I'll post ocean reports though, but that won't be happening until this Spring. Therefore, we'll have to rely on you and a few others to continue posting the 'duct reports.

yolo
01-05-2011, 05:51 AM
BigBassHogExpert, You have had only 17 posts here so I don't see how you have gotten "spot burned" from that. Unless you mean from another site where you posted reports before? I have posted a bunch and sometimes every day or every other day reports and have yet to have been "spot burned", ever. I must say it was nice to see you post that you have been catching too and it would have been cool to see some other AV catch reports besides mine. Keep at it out there. May you keep on catching.

So you don't eat any of the duct stripers? Do you release them or give them away?

Lucky Lager
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Lucky, I was asking BigBassHogExpert about seeing some more AV duct pics since he said he has been getting them too.

yea, i know. i was just making a joke about my skills not being up to par.
i'm hoping to get out in the next few days for the first time this year. hopefully i'll have something to post.
i picked up some of those basstrix tubes you posted about last week, i'm itchin' to see how they act!

cutbait
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Pure bologne

yolo
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Pure bologne

Which part, lol?

cutbait
01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Which part, lol?

Your fishing lookin like a DD...

hahahaha on Yalo!!!

yolo
01-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Haha thanks.