PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve Santa Barbara Fishing Smorgasbord

Natural Lefty
01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
My wife and I finally managed to get in a fishing trip just in time for the year's end. We had fished in Santa Barbara Harbor at least briefly near the year's end each of the past two years with some success, so we decided to make it 3 years in a row on Thursday.

The plan was to go to Santa Barbara on Thursday, and fish Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately, my wife's various requirements for detours and errands on the way there, resulted in us getting to Santa Barbara after 7 p.m. and we decided just to go to a motel and have a long fishing session the next day (New Year's Eve). Actually, we stayed at a place in Carpinteria because it was cheaper.

After some confusion and wrong turns -- I always seem to get confused going to Santa Barbara Harbor with Cabrillo Street, Carillo Street and Castillo Street all in the same area -- we made it to the harbor around 11 a.m. (I think). First, we noticed the water was somewhat murky but not too bad, and the tide was really low. We looked for Opaleyes along the shoreline, but only saw a few little ones which mostly seemed to be hiding among the rocks, so I suggested we go to a short pier that we have fished these past two years. We asked the Harbor Patrol about fishing permission a couple of years ago, and they said you could fish anywhere that wasn't behind a locked gate in the harbor. They are much more generous than most places in that way.

We made it to the pier, which seems to be a parking place for seafood trucks, and isn't used much, put mussels on our hooks (2 poles only) and started fishing, with no success at first. At that time, a young man showed up and asked us for fishing line, weights and bait. We obliged and wished him good luck as he and his uncle went elsewhere along the shoreline to fish. After a while, I decided to try for Opaleyes along the shoreline, anyway. Even though I saw a decent one, I couldn't get anything to bite, so I headed back to the pier, and noticed that my wife's line was really tight, with her pole just sitting on the pier. I suggested she pick up her pole before it wound up in the ocean. Sure enough, there was a good size White Seaperch on the hook. A moment later, I caught a small Grass Rockfish which I put back. Then we ate lunch at The Minnow Cafe, which can be seen from our fishing spot.

There is a bunch of 90 minute parking in the area, so at my wife's behest, I kept moving the car every 90 minutes, which is probably something we aren't supposed to do, but we did buy the food at the cafe. Eventually, I parked the car at a place where you can park for 3 hours for $3. By the time the 3 hours were up, it was after 6 p.m. and you could park anywhere.

Anyway, back to fishing, we continued fishing from "our" little pier with increasing success as the afternoon went on and the tide went up. At first, most of the fish were concentrated a little ways past the end of the pier, but later, they were all around the pier. The whole time we used nothing but Mussel for bait, since I had brought lots of it. Jacksmelt and Grass Rockfish were the most common catches. We ended up with 4 Jacksmelt, which we kept, and caught about 10 Rockfish but only kept the 3 largest ones (7-8 inchers) since most were 4-6 inch dinks. At one point, I hooked a rather massive Jacksmelt, which I had trouble tiring out. When I finally got ready to pull it out of the water, a Pelican suddenly appeared, grabbed the fish, broke my line, and made off with the whole kit and kaboodle, including a 1/2 ounce pyramid weight. I hope the bird managed not to hook itself or swallow the weight. Another Jacksmelt was so stupid that we hooked it and lost it, but it continued biting about 10 times until we finally hooked it.

Eventually, I caught a Sanddab, a good size Opaleye and 2 very beautiful perch which I identified as Rainbow Seaperch. They have orange and blue stripes and blue lines on their heads. We kept all of the fish except for the small Rockfish which we let go.

We also tried hooping for Crabs from 3 -6 p.m. but came up completely empty on those.

I am out of time so will post photos later.

Natural Lefty
01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I forgot to mention, I also caught a Jack Mackerel. I have caught a few of those before, but always really little ones. This one was at least 1/2 pound, not as big as the Jacksmelt, but not bad. The Rainbow Seaperch were a first for me. The second one was bigger than the first, but less brightly colored plus it was pretty dark by then. We stopped fishing around 6:30 p.m. Before going home, we checked the fish market, to which the phrase "twice the price" could very well apply to, but I don't think that would be very good advertising. :Confused: On the way back, I stopped to get gas in Camarillo, then Eunice saw an Italian restaurant and suddenly decided to go there. Oh well. Then she wanted to give our Jacksmelt to some of her friends, so we took a detour on the way back. I hope they like Jacksmelt better than I do! We finally arrived at home around 11:30 p.m. Eunice caught her share of fish, but not as many as I did and not as much variety. She kept catching Grass Rockfish and Jacksmelt, plus she caught the one White Seaperch.

Here are some pictures we took. After it got dark, we stopped taking pictures, but there was a lot of action.

Here are some photos.

The first photo shows Eunice with the White Seaperch.

The second photo shows Eunice eating at the Minnow Cafe. She also looked for refrigerator magnets in one store but couldn't find any.

The third photo happened to be when that Jacksmelt that was determined to be caught was biting, and the next photo shows Eunice with that fish after she landed it.

The last two photos show two views of me with my first Rainbow Seaperch.

DockRat
01-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Great detailed report. Nice pics too.
Thanks, DR

Natural Lefty
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Hello Dockrat, the place we went to is really good for lots of action and variety although most aren't very big. There are supposed to be some large Halibut in the area, too, but I haven't seen any.

We have been eating the fish we kept these past couple of days and they are good tasting. My wife is about to take some to her daughter too.

labjet2000
01-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice report Lefty,

I agree about how confusing Santa Barbara is... I've been there several times, but never to the same place exactly. It's like the Bermuda Triangle or something. I'll have to try pier/dock hopping like you are. There seem to be a number of them in your photos.

skunked again
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Pleasant story as always NL.

Natural Lefty
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks Skunked Again, we had a lot of fun though it was cold. It's surprising how much fishing action there is there for this time of year.

So that's it; Santa Barbara must be a sort of Bermuda Triangle. That explains my penchant for getting lost there. Thanks for the insight, Labjet. :EyePop:

There are a bunch of docks, most of which you can fish from according to the Harbor Patrol. You just can't fish behind locked gates, but you can't get there anyway without a key. The long pier next to the one we were on seems very tempting, but we haven't tried it yet. The reason? It is the main pier where the commercial fishing boats dock and unload, so we don't want to get in their way. Most of the time the docking spots are empty though.

murrieta angler
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi NL,
Very nice report and pictures. You seem to always do well on your ventures.
Take care & Happy New Year,
Robert
<><

Natural Lefty
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Maybe it's that lucky name of mine. I am also a Robert. <>< The best part is having the wife join me and have fun catching fish too.