PDA

View Full Version : 25+ Year Duct Spot Skunk Gone

yolo
12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I have been fishing the duct a mighty long time. One spot (195th west) has never produced a striper for me. I know lots of people that have caught fish there and have had people hook up next to me or after I leave there, hear that someone hooked up, yadda, yadda, yadda. Well it took a while but it finally happened today. I took the long way home from work and started at the west and was working my way home to the east. First two spots nothing but 50mph winds with gusts to 70mph and rain and some sleet pounding me. Seems like the storm was following me and tracking in the exact direction I was heading. Get to the dreaded, skunk ridden third spot (195th west). I'm working it for a little bit and am about to give up knowing the outcome there for so long but I keep casting. Finally get bit with giant wind loop in my line and I set but no hook up. I keep working the retrieve and it hits again. Little less wind slack in my line now and can feel him messing with me. I set but no hook up still. I keep working the same cast and my lure is getting close to the edge and it hits a third time. I swing again and it is on. Finally hooked up here and no way I was letting it get off. I was ready to even dive in after it if it got off, lol. Not a huge battle cause it was not a huge fish (23") and I get it in pretty quickly. This spot is steep and very slippery bank. I sling and slide it up the cement with my 10lb Pline CXX. Success. I belted a loud YES that could be heard all the way in Bako.

So when you guys get all down and out from a few skunks, think of the 25+ year skunk of mine. I'm not ashamed to admit it and have many times on this forum and to people I fish with. Granted it's only a spot skunk but I have kept track of it because it's the only spot I have skunked at and it has been a long time.

Hit 2 more spots for nothing but ever colder conditions.

Had sweatshirt, jacket, vest and my new Cabela's packable parka that I ordered last weak. That thing worked great. Upper body was dry. My pants were soaked as were my shoes and socks.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-29-10/Duct12-29-10.jpg

sawoobley
12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Niceeeeeeeeeee!

HaiTheMeister
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey, I'm a newbie and I've caught fish there. :EyePop: :ROFL:
I'm glad you finally conquered that unicorn!

huge congrats!

Double A
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
good job yolo

i didnt know THAT was "the skunk spot"

yolo
12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey, I'm a newbie and I've caught fish there. :EyePop: :ROFL:
I'm glad you finally conquered that unicorn!

huge congrats!

Thanks. Pretty much everyone I know has caught stripers there. Now me too! I have caught catfish but that's not what I'm after.

good job yolo

i didnt know THAT was "the skunk spot"

Thanks. It was but is no more.

280th was interesting driving into. I kept the truck out of 4WD on purpose. I was going sideways several times and all over the road. Would have been funner in my compact car though.

tpfishnfool
12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Damn Brave Sole Z Man.. I too drove the 138 today from my long way home from Castaic. I didnt even get out of my rig to brave the wind and rain. Brutal. Nice job. 195 has been good to me three years back but nada these past two years. Always hit it on my way back from Quail but favor the area a bit closer to home.
I used to pic up frozen chad from "WeeVille" market back in the day but not sure if they still have em. Candy bait for the bait dunkers.

Love to Fish
12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Congrats on the nice fish...:)

M@M
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Ha ha NICE!!! I remember you telling me that the day we were there. 25 yrs.and that kind of weather. Mission accomplished! Congratulations. :Cold Fishing:

yolo
12-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Damn Brave Sole Z Man.. I too drove the 138 today from my long way home from Castaic. I didnt even get out of my rig to brave the wind and rain. Brutal. Nice job. 195 has been good to me three years back but nada these past two years. Always hit it on my way back from Quail but favor the area a bit closer to home.
I used to pic up frozen chad from "WeeVille" market back in the day but not sure if they still have em. Candy bait for the bait dunkers.

How did you do at Castaic? Don't know about the Wee-Ville market and their bait situation. They used to make and sell food but don't anymore.

Congrats on the nice fish...:)
Thanks.

Ha ha NICE!!! I remember you telling me that the day we were there. 25 yrs.and that kind of weather. Mission accomplished! Congratulations. :Cold Fishing:
Thanks Mike. Nice ice fishing smiley. I'm sure it's like that this morning. It's 30* as I type this so I'm sure all the rain and mud is frozen now.

trail blazer
12-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Great job YOLO!!!

Just 1 thing though

ARE YOU ALSO A CXX P LINE LOVER?????

Thats all i use,,,,,,,,best mono ever made in my book,,,,,,

There are more expensive lines out there,,,BUT NONE BETTER,,IMO.
TB.

fishinone
12-30-2010, 11:40 AM
YES!!!

Was that your only skunk gate in the whole AV?

What will you do for an encore?

salmotrutta
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
U seem to be the most productive angler @ the duct
at least the most active
congrats on shakin' the skunked gate
keep ur rod tip up
salmo

yolo
12-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Great job YOLO!!!

Just 1 thing though

ARE YOU ALSO A CXX P LINE LOVER?????

Thats all i use,,,,,,,,best mono ever made in my book,,,,,,

There are more expensive lines out there,,,BUT NONE BETTER,,IMO.
TB.

Yes I like the Pline CXX. I use 10lb test.

YES!!!

Was that your only skunk gate in the whole AV?

What will you do for an encore?

Yup, only one. Probably not catch another one for another 25 years from there.

Lucky Lager
01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes I like the Pline CXX. I use 10lb test.

Yup, only one. Probably not catch another one for another 25 years from there.

that's bad news for me. the first time i fished that spot, i got a nice cat & a nice striper......if you're right, i won't get another one there for a few decades, lol!

nice job whiping that skunk spot off your record, i've got some spots i need to do that with!

yolo
01-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Lucky, It produces for others just not me. I think you will be fine.

dgfishin
01-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Congrats on not giving up! Are you through with that spot or will you fish it again?Can you go with not fishin that spot for a year?

yolo
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't hit it that often. I will hit it within a year. That's for sure.

5BassReaper7
01-02-2011, 12:18 PM
nice!! im glad you beat the skunk after that long. That's a priceless feeling .