PDA

View Full Version : Catfish scents

luckyjr21
12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Anybody know some good catfish scents for the special stocking at SARL this week?

bman90278
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Anybody know some good catfish scents for the special stocking at SARL this week?

I'm not much of a Catfishing guy, but I saw a guy at my local city park lake yesterday catch a few nice kitties using fresh Trout guts. I hadn't heard that one before, but I've always seen guys do good with fresh Makeral.

luckyjr21
12-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I have done ok with the fresh mackeral, but its a pain to keep it on the hook.

Josh
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
there are some good dough baits out there like chicken liver/chicken blood. They stink to high heaven. Takes 5 or 6 times washing your hands to get the smell off. I have similar in a tub that you mold onto the hook like you do with Powerbait. Haven't done much cat fishing yet but planning to.

smokehound
12-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm not much of a Catfishing guy, but I saw a guy at my local city park lake yesterday catch a few nice kitties using fresh Trout guts. I hadn't heard that one before, but I've always seen guys do good with fresh Makeral.before anyone gets any ideas, this is illegal. =P

Frequent Flyer
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
i have had luck on the dough baits in the red and blue packages. kant remember the name but the chicken blood and crawfish flavor is the 1 i hav the most luck on

Josh
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
i have had luck on the dough baits in the red and blue packages. kant remember the name but the chicken blood and crawfish flavor is the 1 i hav the most luck on

I have the chicken liver ones, have to keep them in a tupperware container to keep them from stinking up my trunk lol.

Frequent Flyer
12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
haha yea and if they are gettin hit alot and u hav 2 rebait its still on my hands the next 3 days but hey it works. oh yea and thers always bite on

bman90278
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
before anyone gets any ideas, this is illegal. =P

Thanks, Like I said I'm not a catfisherman and I should add the guy who was doing it was also using 3 rods. I heard him telling some others yesterday about using trout guts...I will be sure to warn the people when he does it.

Brian

Josh
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
haha yea and if they are gettin hit alot and u hav 2 rebait its still on my hands the next 3 days but hey it works. oh yea and thers always bite on

Yeah wife won't let me touch her unless I've washed my hands at least 5 times LOL.

smokehound
12-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I found out catfish go bonkers over soybeans.

perhaps make your own dough-bait with soybeans/soy meal. They use soybeans in most catfish hatcheries because they can replace the need for meat. Something the cats will find familiar..

luckyjr21
12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the tips, i was using hog wild in the summer but didnt have too much sucses, and tghe catfish garvy is judt too expensive

kennycat
12-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I make my own it is 1/2 cup molasses 2 table spoons of anise extract and 1 table spoon of garlic powder works very well with cut mackeral

luckyjr21
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Is anise extract the suff that smells like black licorce?where do you get it from?

Josh
12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Is anise extract the suff that smells like black licorce?where do you get it from?

yeah it is. You can usually find it in the spice aisle of grocery stores.

BrandonFish
12-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I have done ok with the fresh mackeral, but its a pain to keep it on the hook.

It isnt fresh if it falls off the hook catch some macs the night / day b4 your trip and you will see it doesnt fall off just keep it on ice... size 2 owner hook or bigger
Hogwild is great dip even better if you spray a whole bunch of bang, garlic scented. its messy but does the job!

other baitts... Bonito, shrimp, m&m, inflated and non inflated night crawler, hot dog, chicken liver...

Hope that helps.....

Have a SHARP knife so you dont mush the mac meat up probly one reason why your mac falls apart..