PDA

View Full Version : Cor Blimey, A Brit in the Sierra's!

Sue
07-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow. Wow. And WOW!.
Where to start? From the beginning, methinks.
Set off from the Chevron gas station by the 405 on Harbor Blvd at 7.09pm. Stop 1, Via Princessa at the beginning of the 14 (I needed to wee, ok!). Ate a cheeseburger for the first time while actually driving, 'twas very good :D
Eventually, around 11pm, we hit Lone Pine which is roughly an hour south of Bishop. Needed to pee. Again. Got bit by a mosquito :(
After stopping at Vons in Bishop for some supplies, finally got to the cabin around 1am (thank F our friends had left the door open!). As we were unpacking, my friend realised my pole was broken :( :( It was the first pole I ever had which my friend bought me for Xmas.

Woke up around 6am Wednesday morning a bit disoriented and out of breath. Turns out that 9,000 + feet elevation makes breathing a bit harder :cry:
So, that morning, we head over to South Lake and after a few minutes my first cast goes bendo :D Yay!!!!!
Spent the next 2 hours catching fish and releasing fish - I limited out by 9.30am :D :D My other remaining pole, an Ugly Stik hubby bought me for my birthday last month, then got snagged..........as I'm telling my pal to cut the line, he grabbed it from me. The pole broke as he was trying to unsnag me.........after I'd told him to cut the f'ing line 3 times! Boy was I not happy!!!!
Went to pick up my friends from the boat dock, I ran over to the store and bouth two new poles. We fished some more and I caught another one which I released (I was over the limit).
Then my buddy hooked up on a 4.1lb Alper - he was stoked :D

Later that evening, we hit Bishop Creek Lodge for alcohol in the bar. Remeber my friend who passed away? Well, her best friend also came up and put a silkscreen of the tattoo she had done 4 days before her passing up on the bar in the lodge. Tears started flowing that night. We had steaks, they were fantastic!

One of my friends then took me down to what we call "The hole 2" and I caught a fish there which I gave to him (I'd already limited out).

Thursday, we woke up, and after eating steak and eggs for breakfast we drive around a bit and find what my friends call "The Grassy Knoll 2". My buddy already hooked up with 2, and I got a hit first cast - yay! But it wasn't to be :( Mr. Trout got stuck behind a rock and I ended up snagging my line, this time, I cut it! LOL! :D

A couple hours later, we hit "Grassy knoll 1", 1st cast my pole goes bendo - huzzah!
3rd cast, pole goes bendo again! (Yes, I got both)
5 minutes later, the rain comes in, so we buggered off back up to the lodge.
Thursday was chilli night, man, it was good, but try sharing a cabin with 2 blokes........EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! :smash:
I got teary as my mum would love it up in the area, but even if she was well enough, her lungs wouldn't stand the elevation :cry:

Friday, we hit Crowley lake - almost drowned but that's a story for another day (i.e. it's too long and I can't be arsed to go into it!).
I hooked up a nice 1.41lb crappie - only fish in the boat that day!
Once we get back, I head over to the Lodge to have it weighed, and someone says "Team 57?" (Yes, I was wearing my Team 57 shirt). Yeah, says I, and ask if he knows who Team 57 is.
Turns out it was SierraSmitty!! :D
We talked a little, he informed my my crappie was a Sacramento Perch. A few minutes later, we presented my friend (who's wife passed away) with a wreath and rose petals........it was beautiful and teary and just.......a moment......him, his son and his son's girlfriend went to South Lake and threw the wreath and petals on the lake.

Saturday morning, I woke up with a screaming hangover - turns out I'd had a few vodkas, a shot of Jaeger and several beers! Had to delete a couple of pictures from the camera!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Got home around 5pm Saturday, but brought back a million memories, some bittersweet but mostly brilliant.

I took 114 pictures, you can find them all here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/workboresme/942983526/

Just too many to post :D

Captainklinger
07-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Great Report Sue. Did you only fish on the shore?

Captainklinger
07-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Sue
07-29-2007, 09:24 PM

No - Wednesday we had a pontoon on South Lake, and Friday we had a motorboat on Crowley Lake.

xtranzman
07-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Great report Sue. Glad you enjoyed yourself up there. I had a pretty good feeling that you would love it.

I guess you just have to get used to the altitude...LOL....

Thanks for sharing. Loved all of the pics. I came back from out trip up there two weeks ago and I am already to go back.

Hope to see ya soon,

X

olfishergal
07-29-2007, 09:28 PM
welcome back Sue..glad to see you had a really good trip inspite of a couple of pole breaks. Rest up so we can get back to fishing for the cats.

Sue
07-29-2007, 09:31 PM
welcome back Sue..glad to see you had a really good trip inspite of a couple of pole breaks. Rest up so we can get back to fishing for the cats.

What you doing Saturday? ;)

olfishergal
07-29-2007, 09:35 PM

unfortunately, having a root canal..........I would rather do anything else. Lets plan on doing something on the 11th since there is a thingie going on ar Irvine. Maybe a bunch of us can get it together

Sue
07-29-2007, 09:37 PM

unfortunately, having a root canal..........I would rather do anything else. Lets plan on doing something on the 11th since there is a thingie going on ar Irvine. Maybe a bunch of us can get it together

Works for me :D Friday I'm going to see Fergie at the OC Fair, Tuesday 7th am going to see Mamma Mia - after all those concert/culture things I will need to FISH! :D

DreStyle
07-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Great Report Sue ... Next time you're up there you'll have to try farther north. There are some really great spots along that highway. I'm hoping that there can be some kind of Team 57 caravan one of these days. Great job up there.

Granny Fish
07-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Ate a cheeseburger for the first time while actually driving, 'twas very good

I can appeciate that knowing how you britts don't enjoy "fingering" your food. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the broken rods, happy to hear about all the fun you had.

Friday, we hit Crowley lake - almost drowned but that's a story for another day (i.e. it's too long and I can't be arsed to go into it!).
We really don't want to hear about your potty breaks. :lol:

Lets go fishing! :banana:

Troutman65
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Sue, Nice repot !!!

Sorry about your 2 broken fishing poles.

What are the 2 new fishing poles you bought?

Thanks for sharing your trip on FNN

Troutman65

one_leg
07-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Sue, you can send the pics you were gonna delete to my E-mail. :shock:

Did you fish the Creek at BCL?

Hope you remembered to keep your UglyStik? Warranty!!!!

One_Leg

Wingnut
08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Very nice report Sue!

Hope you remembered to keep your UglyStik? Warranty!!!!

Gotta love those Ugly Stiks! :wink:

troutdog
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Way to go Sue...sounds like a nice trip with some special moments shared with friends. Thank you for sharing!

Got steak?

TD

Sue
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Got my new Ugly Stik yesterday, Big5 graciously offered to exchange it. Kudos to them! :D
It probably helped that I actually bought another one at the same time, but the manager was really cool about it.

Alan - I already deleted the pics, sorry! :D :eek:

Troutman - the 2 I bought were a Shimano ($15) and a Diawa ($30) from the lodge. Worked fine and caught fish on both of them :)
That big ol' crappie was some mighty fine taco filling!