PDA

View Full Version : Skinner... Tuesday, bloody Tuesday

P.A.W.
12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Went out with T/O and had the usual blast. So much to learn and remember my head is kinda full. As I looked and asked around most people were having a tough day so that makes our little splatterfest all the nicer. Not a WFO day, but between my friend Marshal and I we came away with around 14 stripers. I could NEVER have done that on my own.

Now, armed with this new info and tactics, I can go forth and catch a few stripeys in the morning and then spend the rest of the day on C&R largemouth for fun. Like they say..... "teach a man to fish....". Sorry I forgot my camera and the only one on my phone is the usual livewell full of stripes. Thanks for the great day Bob!

JAG107
12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Nice going man, sounds like money well spent. What size fish did you land?

P.A.W.
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Standard schoolies... 3-5lbs. Perfect fillets for tacos :) I'll be there again on Thursday but without my new trolling rig. I'm going to wait for my new line counter reel before I start trolling. Not one of my local sporting goods or tackle shops had one. I guess I should have called Last Chance first.

JAG107
12-30-2010, 08:07 PM
So you did all your catching on the troll? That's great! I've had NO luck trolling skinner, I'm gonna try Ratltraps this Sunday if the inlet's dead. Hopefully I'll be picking up a better finder tomorrow too, so far I've been using one of those clamp-on Humminbirds that use 6 AA batts and are way innacurate. It picks up EVERYTHING (bouys, algae blobs, etc) as fish. Very frustrating. Were you guys trolling swimbaits or cranks?

P.A.W.
12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
As a profesional courtesy to Bob I can't divulge too much, but pretty much everyone knows Bob loves the U-rig. It uses numerous plastics to emulate a school of shad. Hey Jag they are stocking bows today (Thurs.) so with any luck it'll turn on the larger stripers. I'll be there Friday with my Lunker Punker and BBZ. I just picked up the hardware I need for trolling like a line counterr reel. But I have to get the reel wound and set up the umbrella rig so I'll be trying that out Saturday.

Fishthewhaler
12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
I use a line counter that clamps on to your rod. you adjust the tension to the tightest so that when you are dropping it back, the line doesn't pop out of the counter. It works good and costs 10 bucks. The shimano tekotas are nice, but add up when you buying a pair. You can get by in the mean time with the shakespeare counter. Just make sure to open the release when you get set at the proper depth. that when you don't have any line issues getting jammed up in the counter when you get bit. I love trolling my TLD5 w/lever drag and my avet (mini) with the lever drag. clicker screams...
FTW