PDA

View Full Version : Skinner 12/27 attack of the 10" schoolies!

JAG107
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Had the day off, so I decided to hit up Skinner, despite the reports of the fish being a bit off. Started trolling the east end for trout/striper, had no whiffs and very few sightings on the finder. Headed for the inlet around 8, and joined up with a couple other boats tossing swimbaits into the inlet. The flow was off, so I figured it would be dead. I was wrong! I dropped some livers down and got immediate hits, only I was having trouble hooking up. I finally got one in, all 10" of it. I switched to much smaller J hooks and had better luck hookin em up (4 total), but I still missed a good 15 or so bites. That's what sucks about liver, once they hit it, it's gone. By 9, the bite died like a switch went off (as usual). Went to Ramp 2, got a bow that was double the size of my biggest stripey on rainbow PB. Went back to the inlet around noon since I saw 6 boats back over there, and saw some guys in a lip ripperz boat nailing the babies and releasing them. First time I've ever seen Asians releasing fish j/k!
I had no more luck though, but was happy to finally get the skunk off, I haven't caught anything here in 4 previous trips, so the day was worth it. Beautiful day on the water, peaceful, lots of birds of prey. Thanks for reading.

P.A.W.
12-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Jag, I was back there around noon also. I was the one near the inlet about 30' from shore witha broken trolling motor on my Tracker just drifting along. :( I was metering a bunch of fish, some big ones as well but was about to head home so I didn't change lures from my LMB fishing. I'll be there tommorrow with uncle Bob and crush some big ones....... with luck. It was a nice day out there though. The eagles are cool to watch.

Nice to get the smell of skunk off too :)

JAG107
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
PAW, good luck out there tomorrow with T/O, I'm sure it'll be awesome. Hope you land some lunkers!

ghetto dad
12-27-2010, 10:02 PM
nice job man....i would pick up some of that bait thread they sell, or use reg thread man..thats what i do when fishing the livers..it stays on MUCH better!!

ghetto dad
12-27-2010, 10:04 PM
something like this bro

http://www.basspro.com/AtlasMikes%C2%AE-Magic-Thread/product/77948/-671005

JAG107
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks Ghetto Dad, I'll have to look into getting some of that!

HEMAN
12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
sup Jag107, the Lip Ripperz boat was me and my buddy. It used to be Rooster's boat, i just havent taken the Lip Ripperz sticker off of it yet. We were nailing the minis like crazy though... the schools were all over the place.. we did manage a couple larger units.

you're right though.. was a beautiful day out there.. say wassup nxt time.. which boat were you in? saw about 3-4 boats chilling near the inlet while we were there.

JAG107
12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
HEMAN, I was in the 12' aluminum with the 2 white seats facing each other. What baits were working for you guys? You seemed to know what you were doing!