PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber rod!?

MagicWorm
12-27-2010, 01:23 AM
i picked one up for drop shotting..... WOW!

as many know carbon fiber is very strong and SUPER light!

the sensitivity on this rod is amazing. i picked up the 1pc. 6'9 medium light x-fast.

this isn't a typo as far as the medium light rod. bps don't show it on there site but they do make it :)

link> http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-CarbonLite-Trigger-Rods/product/10205012/-1751643

thinking of pairing it up with this quatum reel.
http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-QVex-Spinning-Reels/product/10209016/-1742593

xjdesertfox
12-27-2010, 02:35 AM
wat. dude...all graphite rods are carbon fiber. graphite is a form of carbon.

blank builders buy prepregs(pre-impregnated carbon fiber sheets) and spin them into the blank you see. IM6, IM8, IM10, M40, M40J etc are all pre preg carbon fiber grades which companies use. That rod happens to use IM9 graphite/CF prepreg.

CPT. Kirk
12-27-2010, 08:19 AM
I help my cousin pick out the same rod and we paired it up with a shimano Sedona 2500 and it is well balanced and works great. I have the Carbonlite CL66MHTF casting rod and I bought it as an extra light weight rod I liked the feel of the rod and was able to get it at a discount price. I liked the Rod so much I use at as one of my primary rods. For the price you cant go wrong.

bass assassin#23
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
the rod on your link is a trigger rod and the reel on that link is a spinning reel. i hope that isn't the same exact rod you bought lol

DarkShadow
12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
the rod on your link is a trigger rod and the reel on that link is a spinning reel. i hope that isn't the same exact rod you bought lol

Ain't nuthin wrong with using a baitcaster pole on a spinning reel. Especially if it's carbon fiber.

bman90278
12-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Ain't nuthin wrong with using a baitcaster pole on a spinning reel. Especially if it's carbon fiber.

This thread is a great read...I'm learning more about carbon poles and spinning reels.. lol :)

MagicWorm
12-27-2010, 07:48 PM
my bad was tired....
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-CarbonLite-Spinning-Rods/product/10205013/-1751644

ended up getting the Pflueger® Supreme® Spinning Reel....

sorry again was dead tired....

setup is really nice.

vortec_cruiser
12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Good luck with the new outfit. Catch lots of fish.

MagicWorm
12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
vortech thankyou... setup is really lite and feels great gonna test it sat at perris...

vortec_cruiser
12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, you have a good variety of fish to choose from there at Perris.
Hook into one of those big large mouth bass or crappie that Pete Marino has been catching there.

sawoobley
12-29-2010, 11:35 PM
wat. dude...all graphite rods are carbon fiber. graphite is a form of carbon.

blank builders buy prepregs(pre-impregnated carbon fiber sheets) and spin them into the blank you see. IM6, IM8, IM10, M40, M40J etc are all pre preg carbon fiber grades which companies use. That rod happens to use IM9 graphite/CF prepreg.

I think there is a difference actually. Diamonds are also a form of carbon but different than graphite or carbon fiber. The fishing industry in the U.S. calls fishing poles graphite when in reality they are carbon fiber. It's confusing I know. I had to look it up to figure it out.

Graphite and carbon fiber are very similar. Graphite is made at higher temperatures and is less flexible and more brittle. The strength and properties of the carbon fiber depend on the temperatures they use in the manufacturing process, the length of the fibers, and the additives they use to strengthen it, along with other things I'm sure. Graphite is used as a lubricant and is soft and brittle because it is made up of carbon sheets which do not have much strength between each sheet. Carbon fibers are less ordered and are like interlocking and folding ribbons so there is more strength between each unit or ribbon.

If you want to get real nerdy here is a site to help you.

http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~newtrad/CurrRef/BDGTopic/BDGtext/BDGGraph.html

:Cool:

xjdesertfox
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I think there is a difference actually. Diamonds are also a form of carbon but different than graphite or carbon fiber. The fishing industry in the U.S. calls fishing poles graphite when in reality they are carbon fiber. It's confusing I know. I had to look it up to figure it out.

Graphite and carbon fiber are very similar. Graphite is made at higher temperatures and is less flexible and more brittle. The strength and properties of the carbon fiber depend on the temperatures they use in the manufacturing process, the length of the fibers, and the additives they use to strengthen it, along with other things I'm sure. Graphite is used as a lubricant and is soft and brittle because it is made up of carbon sheets which do not have much strength between each sheet. Carbon fibers are less ordered and are like interlocking and folding ribbons so there is more strength between each unit or ribbon.

If you want to get real nerdy here is a site to help you.

http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~newtrad/CurrRef/BDGTopic/BDGtext/BDGGraph.html

:Cool:

...so you agree with me?

I stated fishing rods were made out of carbon fiber. I actually work with carbon fiber all day long, with dry and wet lay carbon fiber as i build panels for my school's Formula SAE team.

MagicWorm
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
this is what bps says:

You’re going to hear a lot about CarbonLite as it far exceeds current technology in rod design. Performance-wise, it’s all about revolutionary materials—a total re-thinking of what goes into making the strongest, lightest, most incredibly sensitive rod ever devised. A CarbonLite rod is a thing of beauty, built on an ultra-rich carbon-fiber blank that compares favorably to 85 million modulus (IM9) graphite. Sleek, smooth carbon fiber transmits vibrations instantly and weighs much less than standard materials, yet has hookset power to spare. The guides are special: feather-light, stealth-black, Pacific Bay® DLC stainless steel frames with titanium-carbide inserts and a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating to make them extra-slick and damage-resistant. Split handles with P-Tec poly-foam grips (and virtually no foregrip) keep weight low and blank contact high; our two-piece Soft Touch reel seat is light, comfortable, and bridgeless, exposing significantly more blank area to direct hand contact. All in all, you’ll love the feel and handling of this revolutionary rod, guaranteed. And with every model available for far less than high-end rods—

i was just going by what the bps guy was saying bout the carbon fiber.... i don't build rods so don't know that much just by what i was told. i bought the rod based on how light it was and application it is gonna be used for (drop shotting) u do need a lite reel cause of how lite the rod is otherwise the balance is thrown off. will give a review once i use it a few times.... and catch a fish on to how it feels..... can't wait to get on the water. there were a few others i was lookin at too but the sensitivity on this is amazing and lite weight.

tight lines
joshua