PDA

View Full Version : swimbait rod help?!

MagicWorm
12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
ok... heres the deal im gonna return my tourney special bps rod and try to get a swimbait rod if possible?

im lookin at spending $100 which i know isn't alot but really all i have.

does anyone know of any rods bps carries that are in that price range? dont care bout brand as long as it will work.

they have a heavy 7'6 tourney special biggest lure it will throw is 2oz. its a heavy rod. will that work?

can u use a swimbait rod to throw frogs and spinbaits?

thanks in advance...

sorry for so many questions on this subject.

joshua

smooshsh
12-25-2010, 06:29 PM
search for a shimano crucial swimbait rod. cheap, fairly light and does the job plus the lifetime warranty. you should be able to find one used for under a 100. good luck

pasadenafishin
12-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Okuma swimbait rod H rated 2-4 oz lures, GREAT rod. This rod is also a good frog rod not so much spinner baits (your better off getting a MH fast for those) you could also get the okuma XH for the bigger baits, but that rod will not be as good for throwing frogs.

GeordyBass
12-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Get the Okuma.

bsp
12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Which swimbaits do you want to throw? Generally, a rod rated up to 2oz is not a very heavy duty swimbait rod. You can toss baits up to about 6in long and that's it (that's if it's designed for swimbaits). Once you hit 8in baits the rod is not going to work as well. Also, trying to get a rod to double as a spinnerbait and frog rod along with swimbaits is really going to limit you, so I would definitely NOT recommend it. They may be rated for heavier line, but they can't really handle the stress of chucking big baits all day. Guys try to use flipping sticks when they start out, and end up breaking them a few months in.

I'd recommend getting the Okuma 711 XH if you are serious about wanting to get into swimbaiting, along with leaving EVERYTHING but the swimbait gear at home when you go. It can toss anything up to around 6oz nicely, and that is the realistic threshold for most baits on the market today. It might be a bit overpowered for the smaller swimbaits, but it can still throw them while handling the 8in and 9in baits well. You aren't going to be messing with 10in+ baits for a while, so the rod will last a very long time. By leaving your other gear at home, it forces you to commit to throwing the big bait, and that's what you have to do if you want to catch bigger fish. This is regardless if you choose to start with 6in baits or 8in baits. Slap on a Cardiff 300 or 400 and you are set.