PDA

View Full Version : No More Guiding Light

DockRat
12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u201/hunnytomorrow/Guidinglight.jpg

No, Not the Soap Opera :Sissy Fight:

Good Luck finding Squid, your on your own. http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii178/payback6416/blind.jpg

State closes commercial squid fishing season early
By Melissa Pamer Staff Writer
Posted: 12/13/2010 07:00:43 PM PSTUpdated: 12/13/2010 07:22:06 PM PST

For the first time since harvest limits were put in place in 2002, the state is set this week to close the commercial fishing season for market squid - more than three months early.

Optimal conditions, including colder waters, created what a California Department of Fish and Game biologist called "a banner year for market squid," which is often consumed as calamari.

It's important locally because San Pedro is a major harbor for commercial squid fishing. Just in the month of October, more than five times the amount of squid was landed in San Pedro than in the same month in 2009.

The huge take means state scientists expect the limit of 118,000 short tons - imposed to ensure the annual catch doesn't expand beyond 1990s-era levels - to be reached this week.

The Department of Fish and Game announced Monday that the fishery would close at noon Friday.

The season usually runs from April 1 to the end of March the following year.

Market squid, by far the state's biggest and most valuable fishery, is often exported internationally. Last year's landings had a value of $56.5 million, the state said.

- Melissa Pamer

(Tried 3 times to put this up on General Discussion but won't go ???
logged out, logged in, No Go on GD ?) DR ?

JapanRon
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi DockRat,

Thanks for the extra effort !! :) Heard about this and was thinking .... or should I say wondering .... if Squid can't be caught for the sportfishing community ... guess they're commercial so ..... probably not but if you think about it ...... if Squid was taken for the bait receivers ...... it's different than exporting to where~ever !!

Guess meat slingers are gonna have to go to the Squidcicles unless privates go get it themselves !!

JapanRon