PDA

View Full Version : Practice with bait caster

Cableguy
12-23-2010, 10:07 AM
New to the board. Usually a trout guy but been reading the duct posts for a month and am dying to get out there. Off next week, will try then. Goint to AL tomorrow and practice with new bait caster. Usually use spinning only. Any suggestions?

.:LOLLY:.
12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the boards.

As far as casting goes, when i first started I put all the brakes on (prevents backlashes) then slowly start taking them off one by one.

When casting you want to take your thumb off of the spool when your rod is still pointing up. I would aim at clouds in the sky in order to get that down (and it's more of a lob with power as opposed to a flick).

Keep your eye on the bait and right before it hits the water you have to place your thumb on the spool or else it will bird nest.

If it does bird nest (when it looks like your string exploded within the reel) all you have to do is slowly pull out the string and when you see where it got hung up (usually looks like a loop). Just give that loop a little tug which should free it and continue pulling on your main line until it is cleared.

Don't let one bad experience ruin your bait casting days. Just keep at it.

Tight lines!

Marley
12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
A wet line tends not to overrun a lot so try a few soft, short lobs first to get some water inside the wraps on the spool. Practice with a casting weight before you go out to get the feel of things. When (not if) you backlash the reel don't cut the line, but carefully pick out the knot with your fingers and don't get mad or too frustrated about it; it's a good lesson.

cutbait
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
spool it with cheap line, you'll be cutting backlashes. practice at home for a while.

check youtube!!

heres one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJncaBKfE4w

EL_CHIDO
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Spool up with braid...cheap "starting-off" line that's good is Spiderwire.
I have cut my bird's nest down to almost never w/ braid.

Good luck.

BassEngineer
12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
You should practice "thumbing the line". When I cast, my thumb is touching the line/reel ever so slightly. With enough practice you can cast and thumb the line with barely any friction.
You can practice this in front of the tv... put 1/2 oz weight on your line, open your brakes so it falls at a "reasonable" rate...then practice "thumbing" and stopping the line just before it hits the ground.

Thisfool
12-23-2010, 12:26 PM
if you got the cheap walmart baitcasting combo like i did it is hopeless the reel is junk it will backlash mid cast while your line is still in the air so make sure your reel is of some sort of quality

koifish
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Like Cutbait said. you should practice else before fishing at Duct because when you get backlash you try to fix the line then the lure sink down and stuck at the bottom or edge of the canal and you would lose the lure. When I got backlash, I would pull the line with my hand first to get the lure then I would fix the backlash later. Good luck

salmotrutta
12-24-2010, 06:15 AM
practice practice practice
on wide open water
with a floating bait

Cableguy
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks Guys. I'm getting better. I'll be fishing the duct this weekend.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Couple things kinda touched on already but I’ll elaborate:

Practice somewhere before you go pound the waters…you’ll feel much better wasting time off the water than on..

Start with cheap line, it’s gonna be a learning experience and YOU WILL BACKLASH, practice how to get those suckas out as there’s tricks to it and it gonna happen, even with the most expert casters..

Bring extra line, in case it fouls so much U cannot fish anymore and need to cut it all out

BRING AN EXTRA RIG to fish with till U get used to using it…don’t get caught on the water unable to fish.

Most Importantly, when learning, this is what I suggest: Take a fair weighted lure (I suggest about a 1 oz) tighten the brake so the line will NOT roll out as you hold the pole straight out in front of U.

SLOWLY loosen the brake till the lure starts to fall…..

THEN tighten it ever so slightly and cast and cast to get a feel of it….after a while keep loosening the brake ever so slightly and you’ll develop a feel for the right tension from your thumb.

Most quality casting reels have centrifugal counterbalances within them, mounted on a “T” looking apparatus that connects to the spool….usually in a star like spread on metal spindles..

There are usually adjustments on the counterbalance weights that will GREATLY affect the way the reel cast and are there for fine tuning, I’d guess to start out spread them all out to the farthest out you can on their internal adjustments.

Later on you can push them in towards the center of the spool for less resistance..

Sounds Complicated….it is at 1st…but only at 1st…once U adapt U’ll be casting w/o effort….

Most times with a good solid cast I’m not even thumbing the spool at all and switch hands mid cast…but don’t try that now by all means..

Hope this helps..

Good luck but be prepared for a lot of trial and error but brake the spool like I mentioned above and it will speed the whole learning process up.

Have fun,
Gary