PDA

View Full Version : 2 lb vs. 4 lb line

VietReefer
12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
So, this trout season was my first time ever fishing for trout .. and I'm still learning a lot of stuffs about trout fishing.
Since I've started a month ago, I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance. I'd like to know pros and cons of 2lb vs. 4lb.
I've been looking to stock some more 4lb lines and having my eyes on P-line FloroClear ($7.99 - 300y) , P-line CX ($7.49 - 300y), and Izoline XXX ($15.99 - 3350 yards or $16.99 for 6000yard of 2lb), and I've like to know some pros and cons about these line if anyone has experienced with them
I'm also considering of buying these lines in 2lb rating to improve the casting distance (if it does affect the distance), but still worry about my newbee skill which would result in line break even though I've lost only 2 fishes out over 50 that I've caught, but none of those were piggy. I'm just worry that my first piggy would break my line if I use 2lb.
Thanks all

HEMAN
12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
generally
lighter line usually = smaller diameter, which in turn = farther casting distance.

exfactor
12-22-2010, 06:12 PM
the rod is what casts the line. You can cast a bit further with lighter mono, but ultimately, the rod is the key.

HEMAN
12-22-2010, 06:15 PM
the rod is what casts the line. You can cast a bit further with lighter mono, but ultimately, the rod is the key.

ah yes.. very true also.. longer rods will allow you to cast farther too. good point exfactor

TahoeChris
12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
stick with the 4lb flouro it is a thinner diameter than what 4lb mono would be. Flouro lines also have higher abrasion resistance than mono do.

BrandonFish
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
your line wont break unless they somehow swallow the hook and get you with there tiny teeth.. and if your drag isnt set to perfection....... .....
2 lb test is the way to go if you want to cast further and the longer rod 7 foot is fine.
p line and izor works pretty well just have your drag set right and dont try to bounce trout that are over 13 inches..
If your not sure that the drag isnt set right simply ask one of the guys who look like they know what there doing while jigging for trout or bait fishing...with 2lb

Thisfool
12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
...... I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance. I'd like to know pros and cons of 2lb vs. 4lb.

I've been looking to stock some more 4lb lines and having my eyes on P-line FloroClear ($7.99 - 300y) , P-line CX ($7.49 - 300y), and Izoline XXX ($15.99 - 3350 yards or $16.99 for 6000yard of 2lb), and I've like to know some pros and cons about these line if anyone has experienced with them

Thanks all

ok so i am just going to repeat the information i have been given and im going to talk about my personal expirance.

ok you said your using floroclear, floroclear is not fluorocarbon, floroclear is standard line coated with fluorocarbon so you do not get all the positives of fluorocarbon.

Fluorocarbon is extremely transparent for its diameter while under water but, how ever it is brittle for its diameter while standard line is stronger but not as transparent (i am leaving mono out cuz it is its own topic) so when you coat standard line with fluorocarbon you get more transparency while maintaining some strength its kinda a give and take with floroclear.

mono has a higher then normal strength for its diameter. so it is thinner then standard 2lb test while maintaining the same strength or in my experience even stronger, how ever is not very transparent.

so there are pros and cons to all type of line.

casting distance is very dependent on the rod. if your rod is rated for 4-12lb line and 1/8-3/4 you are not going to be able to cast as far using 2lb and a 1/32-3/16 weight or lure because your rod will be to stiff and will not be able "load up" and act as a spring to help launch your lure or bait if your bait fishing. how ever you can get away with using a lighter line and compensating by using a larger weight.

Thisfool
12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
the diameter of the spool will also affect the casting distance not as much as the rod but if your using a lighter line and weight with a larger reel the extra diameter spool will have more surface area for the line to rub agents while the line is going out and using a lighter line and weight the extra friction caused by the greater surface area will cut your cast a bit short.

VietReefer
12-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks all
I was using the 7ft rod, rated 2-8lb line, lure weight rating were 1/64 - 1/8 oz and a small reel so I'd like to think that the rod & reel weren't factors with me, that's why I'm thinking the line was the factor in my case. (Too bad a fishing buddy broke my rod while taking it out of this car and closed the door on when the tip wasn't completely out of the car :), damm .. what can one say but smile, I know he feel pretty bad about it already. So I'm looking for a similar rod but couldn't find one at BPS, any recommendation on other rod that's not too expensive, not over $60?, I've tried the BPS micro rod but it's too flimsy (soft), and I don't like the feel of it on my hand)?

exfactor
12-23-2010, 12:40 AM
60 bucks isn't alot for a quality rod. If your going to fish the rest of your life, get a top quality rod 7 to 8 1/2 feet long. There are many quality rodmakers out there, and my preference is g loomis, phenix, lamiglass, or fenwick. Also, the 2500 size reels have a larger spool then the mini's, and really help with line twist, and casting. A little heavier, but much nicer for casting.

VietReefer
12-23-2010, 12:47 AM
60 bucks isn't alot for a quality rod. If your going to fish the rest of your life, get a top quality rod 7 to 8 1/2 feet long. There are many quality rodmakers out there, and my preference is g loomis, phenix, lamiglass, or fenwick. Also, the 2500 size reels have a larger spool then the mini's, and really help with line twist, and casting. A little heavier, but much nicer for casting.

At this time, I think I'm gonna fish for the rest of my life :) so investing in a quality rod is something I will definitely do, just not at this time :) not until I can find a new job hehe.

Thisfool
12-24-2010, 07:15 PM
hmm i dont know why he was casting so much further then you it sounds like your set up should of aloud you to cast really well. maybe your Buddie was just using more weight. when in doubt ad more weight lol. put a 3oz weight and with that set up you could probably cast 100 yards.

calico killer kevin
12-25-2010, 12:43 AM
1000 or 1000S sized reel
7'-7'6" 2-6lb rod
2lb Line

I would recommend picking up a couple Daiwa Spinmatics for $70. Very solid performer for their price and not noodley like the BPS Microlite. As for line, I like Izorline XXX. Great line all around and cheap too at ~$14 for a 1/4lb spool.

hmm i dont know why he was casting so much further then you it sounds like your set up should of aloud you to cast really well. maybe your Buddie was just using more weight. when in doubt ad more weight lol. put a 3oz weight and with that set up you could probably cast 100 yards.
And probably snap your rod in the process...

sawoobley
12-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Rod length is most important

Loading of the rod during the cast (technique)

Larger diameter spool with a small lip and line filled to the top - the line has less friction coming off the spool. The diameter and height of the spool becomes more important the longer the cast. Also the shape of the lip.

Lighter line is much easier to cast. It is less weight opposing your lure.

billy b
12-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Izor XXX is pure flourocarbon ... right? Any good places to get it online?

What do y'all think about spooling mono or fluorclear and having the last 50-200 yards be fluorocarbon?
I know you would have that extra knot ... but hopefully won't ever get down to it ... as long as you replace what you lose, of course.

calico killer kevin
12-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Izor XXX is not fluoro. It's a copolymer line.

You'd be fine with a short flouro leader. Fluoro benefits without the flouro problems, however there is that extra knot. It should be fine though if you can tie the knot well.

bass assassin#23
12-25-2010, 02:35 PM
2lb cuda line is the best i have had experience with. i can cast farther than anybody on the lake and its stronger than anything i have ever fished. its a copolymer btw.

luckyjr21
12-25-2010, 03:08 PM
where can i get this 2lb cuda i have never heard of it?I just stick with berckleys 4lb vanish, It produces ok.

Koshaw
01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
If I remember right not only the length of the rod but also the number of guides and the spacing of said guides determine casting ability along with the diameter of the line. The more guides you have the greater the accuracy of the casting but there is a small reduction in casting distance due to friction I believe.

royboii
01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
If thats P-Line fluoroclear youre talking about.. get rid of it. Its garbage.

Geraldlim
01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Since I've started a month ago, I've fished with 4lb Floroclear, but one day when I was fishing with Geraldlim and he was using 2lb Mono and was making cast much farther man I could which made me wondering was it the line, reel or casting techniques or rod length differences which prevented me to cast only 2/3 of his distance.

You know what they say VietReefer - it's not the size of the rod.......it's how you use it.:LOL::LOL:

Seriously though, That day I was using 2 lb mono cuz it's softer and tangles less, on a 7 ft Berkley Tactix trout rod. The rod, line and lure weight are matched, and we were throwing straight 1/32 oz mini jigs that day. I can cast significantly further with 2lb line vs 4 lb line on this setup. If I really want distance I add a small clear casting bubble float completely filled with water.

Koshaw
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
The people who like Maxima should go to the Fred Hall Show. For the first day or two they usually have stepped test line ie 2.5, 3.5. 4.5 etc.

For those who like light line, the 2.5 is nice cause it offers 25% more strength than 2lb.

wackyrigged
01-29-2011, 07:27 AM
I had to throw my hat in this ring and say that Gerald is right on the money on this one 2lb line 1000 size reel 7 foot 4-10 fast action rod mono all the way.Also I love those clear casting bubbles half filled with water they work great and I usually choose to use a swivel instead of twisting it that way I can have a heavier main line maybe on a 2500 reel with 8lb line and just a leader of 2lb oh and I like maxima... izor and pline are OK though

heydaad
01-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I'll throw 2 cents in also ... First off, a 7ft plus rod (I use a 7, 8, and a 9 depending on conditions), then a couple of 20 plus year old Shimano Sedonas with 2# Izor clear mono. My catch rate is high, I can cast a loooong way (even into the wind), and throw nothing more than 1/8 oz and down to 1/32 oz. I know flouro is almost invisible in the water, but 2 # Izor is nearly as invisible, and a whole lot stronger. Largest trout I caught was almost 13#, a 10# Brown, and many in the smaller ranges too. Don't over engineer the set-up, simple and reliable WILL catch more fish. Learn to know what's the right drag setting for you line and reel ... and you've got it whooped.

Island Fish
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I noticed you said you recently began trout fishing, being fairly new the biggest difference between the two (2#-4#) is the 4# pound will allow for inexperienced mistakes such as bad rod position or incorrect drag settings, where as the 2# pound isnt as forgiving and will snap you off. Everything else in this discussion has been thoroughly covered above. Hope that helps. Good Luck Fishing

Marine_Michael
03-04-2011, 09:34 PM
If thats P-Line fluoroclear youre talking about.. get rid of it. Its garbage.

And your opinion is based off what?

I like the P-Line Floroclear It has a thinner diameter than most monos or copolymers, holds knots well and is very limp and cast-able. I've used the 6# for trout, crappie, catfish and stripers. The 4# works great for trout and crappie as well. I fish for striper in the aqueduct all the time and use 10-12# floroclear for that as well. I've only lost 2 fish to snapped line and both of those were my fault for being lazy and not retying after catching a fish and noticing that the line was abraded.