PDA

View Full Version : Duct tourney

wackyrigged
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Anyone know when that tournament is for the aqueduct is I have never been to it but heard about it.I think you check in at quail lake and can fish anywhere in the duct then go back to the lake after a few hours to weigh in.

yolo
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
That has not happened in years and probably won't again.

Double A
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
thats too bad. it would be cool to meet some of the guys that also fish the duct. seems like the duct junkies are a good bunch of people. ive only bumped into one FNN member out there, Yolo, and he seems way cool. very helpfull. if it does happen again, im in.

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, the duct has become more popular!!!! More people fishing the same stretches of water. Some duct fishermen do not want people to see where they fish. Understandable. I havent been that sucessful but woould like to se an annual duct tournament. Make it worthwhile for the winner!!!!! I think khan organized the first one.

trail blazer
12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, the duct has become more popular!!!! More people fishing the same stretches of water. Some duct fishermen do not want people to see where they fish. Understandable. I havent been that sucessful but woould like to se an annual duct tournament. Make it worthwhile for the winner!!!!! I think khan organized the first one.

I THINK IT WAS SPOOKY007

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?31318-mack-Talks-II

trail blazer

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Future duct striper tournament! Lets make it happen !!! 20 anglers $50.00 entry fee. Winner take all. What rules do you guys want????

yolo
12-23-2010, 05:35 PM
20? Why not as many as sign up. Should be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Lures only. Heaviest stringer of 2 fish since the limit is 2 fish on some of the duct. Also minimum 18".

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Yolo, good ideas! Lets see what the other competitors have to contribute. Not that i am a big bait fishermen, but i do not think they should be exculded.

brownstain
12-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Id be in for a duct tourney.

Double A
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
im down for a "donation" :)

would be well worth the fun

HoLLoW
12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
That would be awesome. Id definitely be in on this one if it were to occur.

cutbait
12-24-2010, 10:30 AM
You know the Bako boys would be in. BUT

A few issues I can think of is.....

1. the money legallity thing. {not versed on organized/nonorganized tournament legalities} I know it was done twice before, but I'm not sure it is legal? You know California. I'm sure you'd have to have a DFG permit for a tourney

2. day/night fishermen

3. location of start/finish

4. period of event time. [would TB and I have enought time to drive to San Antonio and back]

5. time of year of the event.

6. And absolutely no GPS tracking devices :Wink:

Double A
12-24-2010, 10:42 AM
and no fish with freezer burn :Wink:

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Pyramid might be a good meeting place. Kind of in between bako and av. We could also make this so all proceeds go to a chartible organization. Maybe to an organization that takes under privelaged kids fishing. Lets here from gary and others. Merry christmas and god bless to all of you guys.

trail blazer
12-27-2010, 08:16 AM
C,B WROTE,
[would TB and I have enought time to drive to San Antonio and back]

Now now CUT BAIT,,,,,,,,, Now everybody is going to want to check ALL the bako boys feesh,,,,,,,,,,whereaboughts , belly contents,,,,EVERYTHING!!!.

LOL

TRAIL BLAZER

rock&reel
12-27-2010, 08:49 AM
what about $50.00 with a special t shirt as a gift for the tournament so we if i don't win unless i keep a present.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
What if any of the advertisers here would sponsor it? Team 57? Lip Rippers? Bob Sands?
Many possibilities.
Definately a charitble event.
Also a t shirt to commemorate the event.
TTFM

cutbait
12-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I was hoping someone who knew would post up [Bass club tourney director]. I know some have to lurk,:Wink:

So I did some quick research on DFG page.

The way I read all the mumbo jumbo is you do have to be permitted for "fishing contests" by DFG. Permitted for prizes above 1,000 and permit for prizes below 1,000.

Heres a link to the fishing contest search

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Administration/Permits/FishingContest/

Here is the permit link

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=16629

Looking at the site, I was reminded about a discussion here on FNN about continuing to fish while having a limit and planning to release any further fish.

It is illegal to "take" fish [dfg defintion] after a limit unless you have a permit to cull. Thats how Bass Tourney guys get away with it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Administration/Permits/FishingContest/Culling.asp

Please someone tell me different? I see all the other events on FNN. Would like someone who KNOWS and has had contact with the DFG on such things.

Fishing the bass club for a few years I do know permits were required along with special size exemptions for certain lakes with bigger LMB size limits. [Castaic]

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry guys, as much as i'd LOVE TO participate in something like this, I won't be due to the spot factors involved.

Fishing a derby such as this....as much fun as it may be (& I do agree it would be loads of fun) it pretty much is like just handing out spot maps out to everyone where to fish.

I don't want to come off wrong but too much time has been put into locating and fishing different zones/regions/spots etc to let it all out to the masses in one swift shot, it's innevetible that many of the spots would subsequently be blown out on a regular basis after that.

Some may agree or disagree but that is my personal standpoint, the duct is it's own strange beast, not like a lake...must be treated as it's own beast.

For those reasons I passed on the last one and will continue to pass moving forward.

I do love the iedea of the friendly competition so with that being said, I don’t want to discourage anyone from holding or participating in such an event if they chose to.

Theres ALWAYS ways to make such events work and yes if monies are divied out and publicized, permits are necessary and many times insurance bonds as well.

BUT…that doesn’t mean one cannot hold such an event w/o those permits or bonds….it’s just that the monies cannot be involved..

When I’ve put together the other event we’ve held, we’ve always worked it in a raffle sort of way where everyone brought something to pool up and raffle after the competition…and have a couple trophies….

No cash payout unfortunately but they certainly have been super fun.

Anyways, I’m hoping my viewpoints won’t be misconstrued and are taken with the respect that I had intended.

Anyways….good luck Guys : )

Gary

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Gary. Great input. Cant we all meet and work out a way to make this happen with a positive outcome. Obviously you are excited about your sport of duct fishing and deserrvedly so!! Fishermen have been fishing the duct for many years. With good maps, google earth, and word of mouth, i dont think you are fishing any virgin streams. I beleive an annual tournament is the next step. Could even grow to something bigger. What do you guys think?

yolo
12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
With good maps, google earth, and word of mouth, i dont think you are fishing any virgin streams. I beleive an annual tournament is the next step. Could even grow to something bigger. What do you guys think?

I think you are correct that there are no secret or best spots. They all can be good and they all can suck. I have always said and will continue to say the key is to move around and even that produces skunks. Bottom line is to go out and have fun. Don't get too bogged down in looking over your shoulder. That's no longer fun. Let loose, enjoy and go fish it wherever or whatever spot or spots you pick. That giant eye in the sky sees all anyway.

cutbait
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I think you are correct that there are no secret or best spots. They all can be good and they all can suck. I have always said and will continue to say the key is to move around and even that produces skunks. Bottom line is to go out and have fun. Don't get too bogged down in looking over your shoulder. That's no longer fun. Let loose, enjoy and go fish it wherever or whatever spot or spots you pick. That giant eye in the sky sees all anyway.

Umm, I disagree.

Except the have fun part.

Wait, wait,, edit.... Yeah no secret spots :Wink:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I think someone should list EVERY spot humanly possible to fish the duct 1st...then have the tourney

then google them and list the GPS coordinates

yolo
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Not secret just hard to access.

cutbait
12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Not secret just hard to access.

Still disagree!

yolo
12-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Still disagree!

That's cool. I can live with that.

cutbait
12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
That's cool. I can live with that.

ahh mitch hedberg

sawoobley
12-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I think someone should list EVERY spot humanly possible to fish the duct 1st...then have the tourney

then google them and list the GPS coordinates

Are you serious? I can have most all the siphons and gates posted from Hesperia to Tracy in about 15 minutes. I don't want to give away all the spots and do the work for everyone and spoil the duct if the regulars don't think its a good idea. It's what I did a few months ago when I was sick for two weeks. :Smile:

It's up to you guys. I only fish the duct on rare occasion, which is why I mapped them all out. When I travel the 5 for vacation I have some spots to hit up along the way. :Wink:

:Cool:

M@M
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
:LOL:Let's hold it in the Phelan, Victorville and Hesperia section of the Duct. I'd like to see if there are fish here OR am I just the worst fisherman in the world???:Confused:

sawoobley
12-29-2010, 04:57 PM
:LOL:Let's hold it in the Phelan, Victorville and Hesperia section of the Duct. I'd like to see if there are fish here OR am I just the worst fisherman in the world???:Confused:

What if no one catches a striper? :Secret:

There are no stripers in the Hesperia duct!

yolo
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
M@M, that would be real interesting and enlightening :Wink: I would be in and not afraid to attempt. No puzzy footing around from me.

Sawoobley, there is at least one because I caught one a month or so ago and quickly released it too. I told him to go look for M@M down flow about 20 miles.

sawoobley
12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Sawoobley, there is at least one because I caught one a month or so ago and quickly released it too. I told him to go look for M@M down flow about 20 miles.

Who ever catches that striper wins! :Big Grin:

I'd try and make a Hesperia duct tourney. I think I'd have a better chance in Hesperia. If I get lucky and catch one then I'd be doing better than most. j/k At least I can keep M@M from feeling like the worst fisherman out there. :Razz:

:Cool:

yolo
12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I skunked at the last one (2nd one). Did have a nice AV sized follower that would have placed me top three cause the other fish weighed were all on the small side (I think the winner won with 2 fish totaling 7lbs and a few ounces). Most of the guys that went to Bako got fish but the guys that stayed in the AV had it tough and it was skunk for almost everyone. My logic was to either go big or go home so I concentrated on the AV to look for the larger average fish. I did not attend the first one because I did not know about it.

GREENSTINKYFEET
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Mom, dont feel alone!!!!! Im struggling in both AV and Bako. Im still keeping at it and going to try some spots I havent fished before. Also going to try some differen lures.

yolo
12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Mom, dont feel alone!!!!! Im struggling in both AV and Bako. Im still keeping at it and going to try some spots I havent fished before. Also going to try some differen lures.

Great idea on trying different spots and different lures. The lures not even so much but moving or hitting different spots is the way to go.