PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Glen Helen on Thursday 12/23. Anyone down to go?

Reel'emIn
12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Heading there with a couple of friends. Maybe I'll see some of you out there!

ryanr0cks
12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll be there tmrw, probably gonna head out there with my cousin vies. Maybe we'll run into each other

Reel'emIn
12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
I'll be there tmrw, probably gonna head out there with my cousin vies. Maybe we'll run into each other

I'll be the one with the white cap on. I think we're going to fish the concrete area in the small lake or near the snack bar. Where do you usually fish?

Frequent Flyer
12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
yea i fish the same places u do. now if only troutguy 26 wld enlighten us with some secrets baits and spots....cough cough....lol

Reel'emIn
12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
How about it, TroutGuy26??

ryanr0cks
12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
We'll be the group of filipino dudes, gonna try to get a good spot in the cove, but yea we fish the same spots as u haha see u there bro

troutguy26
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
How about it, TroutGuy26??

haha well u should have A LOT od fish to catch!! im thinkin there hasnt been many people fishing for the past week and that means basically double stocked lake right now..the birds have probably eatin a lot but not all..the water will fer sure be muddy so u should use light line and bright colors..white, yellow or orange powerworms and jigs.. id say yellow and white ;)...and by the snackbar is ur best bet i think..enjoy fellas, wish i could join but i am flat broke!!

Reel'emIn
12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
haha well u should have A LOT od fish to catch!! im thinkin there hasnt been many people fishing for the past week and that means basically double stocked lake right now..the birds have probably eatin a lot but not all..the water will fer sure be muddy so u should use light line and bright colors..white, yellow or orange powerworms and jigs.. id say yellow and white ;)...and by the snackbar is ur best bet i think..enjoy fellas, wish i could join but i am flat broke!!

Thanks for the tips! I feel ya man, being broke is no fun. Parks should charge entrance and permits based on income. I would probably get in for a quarter!

Trout 1
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the tips! I feel ya man, being broke is no fun. Parks should charge entrance and permits based on income. I would probably get in for a quarter!

i'd get in for a penny LOL!!!! ;)

Andrew

troutguy26
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM

lol that would be sick..and and another good thing to do there is throw a mealworm on the jig,,, under a bobber

Boltfan#1
12-22-2010, 09:15 AM
i'd get in for a penny LOL!!!! ;)

Andrew

Hell if that were the case they would have to pay me to fish...I get off work around noonish on Thursday gonna head over there sometime after that hopefully I bump into some of you guys.

Reel'emIn
12-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Hell if that were the case they would have to pay me to fish...I get off work around noonish on Thursday gonna head over there sometime after that hopefully I bump into some of you guys.

Haha! Hope to see you there man. Looks like you'll be there just in time for when the truck rolls in!

Vies
12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
We'll be the group of filipino dudes, gonna try to get a good spot in the cove, but yea we fish the same spots as u haha see u there bro

Exactly!.... look for the group of Filipino dudes! or if you see me, ill be wearing the yellow rain coat, im the one the posted: Glen helen EPIC CATCH!

See you there!

troutguy26
12-22-2010, 12:08 PM
no money to go :(

vortec_cruiser
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I plan to be there - I'll be the old guy in the fishing vest, walking around the small lake throwing lures.

troutguy26
12-22-2010, 01:01 PM
good idea vortec...id say goodluck but i dont think u will need any...since i cnt make it to my lake, will u guys please put up some pics??

ryanr0cks
12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
@troutguy26 hopefull if all goes well, i'll definitely be putting up pics :) gonna bring the water proof cam just in case :)

Reel'emIn
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll make sure to upload some pics.

Quick question: Does anyone have experience using both P-Line and Maxima who can compare the two? If so, what rig do you set it up for and how do they perform. Lake conditions (lots of snags, rocks, etc)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I usually fish Maxima 2# test and I jig the 1/64 or 1/32 tubes. I was at Sports Chalet today and debated P Line vs Maxima but ended up going with Maxima since I've been fishing that for the last 6 years.

Reel'emIn
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I'll make sure to upload some pics.

Quick question: Does anyone have experience using both P-Line and Maxima who can compare the two? If so, what rig do you set it up for and how do they perform. Lake conditions (lots of snags, rocks, etc)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I usually fish Maxima 2# test and I jig the 1/64 or 1/32 tubes. I was at Sports Chalet today and debated P Line vs Maxima but ended up going with Maxima since I've been fishing that for the last 6 years.

Or if you prefer other brands, such input would also be appreciated. I remember another FNNer (IncredibleHulk) mentioned he uses XXX and Ande Tournament.

vortec_cruiser
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I just picked up some 2 lb. Izorline XXX at BPS that I will be trying out tomorrow.
Hopefully, I'll catch something so I can post some pics.

troutguy26
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
yea i believe that 2 lb izor is the best..strong as hell

Trout Daddy
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
P-Line CXX is some good 2# line. If money is no object throw some seaguar Tatsu on there....

I M Hooked
12-23-2010, 12:13 AM
I really like the Izor xxx, but if/when money is not an object I myself would put the Toray Bawo florocarbon on there. It comes in .5lb increments like 2, 2.5 , 3 etc.

Reel'emIn
12-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all the input so far! I'll have to try some of these lines myself later.

vortec_cruiser
12-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I got up there about 8:30 AM and parked by the small lake. A couple other cars were in the parking lot, but no fishermen on the small lake. After tying on a lure, I hit the lake, hoping to get something this morning. Looking at the water, my hopes of getting anything sank. Of course, after all this rain the water was bound to be muddy. Yes, very muddy. Not to be too discouraged, I fished around both lakes, casting my lure. After about an hour and a half, I decided to call it quits - no hits at all. But then, I didn't see any of the other fishermen getting anything, either. Borin (Reel'emIn), it was great meeting and talking to you. I hope you guys wound up doing better than I did. Oh, well, tomorrow's another day, another fishing trip.

Reel'emIn
12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I got up there about 8:30 AM and parked by the small lake. A couple other cars were in the parking lot, but no fishermen on the small lake. After tying on a lure, I hit the lake, hoping to get something this morning. Looking at the water, my hopes of getting anything sank. Of course, after all this rain the water was bound to be muddy. Yes, very muddy. Not to be too discouraged, I fished around both lakes, casting my lure. After about an hour and a half, I decided to call it quits - no hits at all. But then, I didn't see any of the other fishermen getting anything, either. Borin (Reel'emIn), it was great meeting and talking to you. I hope you guys wound up doing better than I did. Oh, well, tomorrow's another day, another fishing trip.

Hey Ed- it was great to see you at Glen Helen today. I agree, the water condition made today a game of chance. I almost feel bad for the fish that have to navigate their way through the densely murky water.

Unfortunately, we also skunked! Ryan (ryanr0cks), who was their with Vies, pulled one up later on in the afternoon. It gave him a pretty good fight and I actually had some trouble netting the little guy.

Best of luck on tomorrow's fishing trip!

Reel'emIn
12-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Exactly!.... look for the group of Filipino dudes! or if you see me, ill be wearing the yellow rain coat, im the one the posted: Glen helen EPIC CATCH!

See you there!

It was great meeting you guys at Glen Helen today. Although it would have been a lot funner had we all caught something. Awesome job on the fish, Ryan. I'll have to try and smoke some trout when I get a chance. Any recipes you recommend?

Next time, we'll fish near the "trout-pro" and mimic exactly what he does, when he does it! He ended up landing several more after you guys left!

troutguy26
12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
yea the water was bad....fishing should be better tomorrow..i got onto 3 fish..2 were of decent size..tight lineZ

ryanr0cks
12-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Vies View Post

See you there!
Quote Originally Posted by ryanr0cks View Post
It was great meeting you guys at Glen Helen today. Although it would have been a lot funner had we all caught something. Awesome job on the fish, Ryan. I'll have to try and smoke some trout when I get a chance. Any recipes you recommend?

Next time, we'll fish near the "trout-pro" and mimic exactly what he does, when he does it! He ended up landing several more after you guys left!

It was definitely cool getting out there with a fellow fnn'r, definitely cool meeting you Borin.. i hope i spelled it right. Yea we definitely need to fish near the "trout-pro" and copy exactly whatever the hell he was doing haha, did you guys end up catching anymore?

@troutguy26 i dont think i met u yet, but definitely glad u made it out and were able to be successful.. as promised i did take one and only one picture of the only fish i caught haha

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae254/ryanr0ckSTI/DSCF4456.jpg

troutguy26
12-24-2010, 12:02 PM
@troutguy26 i dont think i met u yet, but definitely glad u made it out and were able to be successful.. as promised i did take one and only one picture of the only fish i caught haha

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae254/ryanr0ckSTI/DSCF4456.jpg[/QUOTE]

good job man! atleast you beat the skunk!! haha

Ultralight
12-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I plan to visit Glen Helen for the first time one of the days in January. Hope to meet some of you including TG26...:) A comment and question:

1. Line - I think it is important to rate line by actual diameter the way they do it in Europe or Japan. Here, some Brand A 2 lb line measure to the same diameter another Brand B's 4 lb test. So the accurate comparison in that case then would be to compared Brand A 2lb with Brand B 4lb, not Brand B 2lbs. There is a huge variation.

2. My question is which farm Glen Helen use to stock their fish?

Thanks,
UL

troutguy26
12-25-2010, 11:46 PM
good points ultra..and i hope to meet u as well...

and they stock the same thing all the other regional parks do...calevares and mt. lassen