PDA

View Full Version : Muddy waters

M@M
12-21-2010, 07:49 AM
How does brown muddy water affect the fish. Catfish are tough. What about the others????

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Muddy stained water:

Water clarity certainly has it’s detrimental affects..

Visibility is drastically affected as well as oxygen.

To take it farther....in harsher weather conditions where heat is about, the stained water will refract more light due to all the particles in the water… which in turn superheats those particles resulting in warmer water....therefore resulting in less oxygen as well.

This all translates to a much slower bite pattern.

Fish cannot see as well and must utilize their lateral lines much more to target prey…

For those who don’t know…lateral lines are how fish hear - water displacement/vibrations in the water etc.

This explains why very often in stained water ull get more short strikes as the fish very often target their prey reliant upon their lateral line signals…

They will use sight whenever available but key on this more with stained water….think about fish striking at night….

Sure they can see a little more than most think they can at night but a major portion of that is water displacement and or vibrations in the water.

Count on the bite to be slower in murkier water, due to this, the oxygen factor never helps the overall scenario either…

Less oxygen =’s less active fish

This applies to most species, particularly the stripers and LMB, Catfish are way different and can slop through just about anything.

I wouldn’t say don’t fish in these conditions as w/o doubt, action can be had, it’s just way far from peak conditions, expect it to be harder overall.

Hope this helps,
Gary

M@M
12-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I assumed water was gong to be muddy after all the rain. Went to the Duct today water was flowing fast and looked fine. Not muddy.:Smile:

yolo
12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Mike, Since the duct is elevated and the runoff is really just from what's on the blacktop side of the service road, it does not get much mud. It will darken a little bit but like you noticed, not too much. When they run it wide open after being still for some time, the sediment gets stirred up and that is when the water looks the most "muddy" but that settles after awhile.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
bako water is a very light coffee color currently...all depends on the tributaries in the region

yolo
12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
I hear everything is dirtier in Bako :ROFL:

trail blazer
12-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Drove over the duct today in the buttonwillow area while at work,,,,,,,,,,,,straight CHOCKOLATE milk,,,,,,,,,,,HORRIBLE,,,Worst ive seen it in a L O N G time,,ALSO,,Tumble weeds everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,,This was on 12/21,,,,,,,,,bought 10am,,,,,,,,,,,,Il be back out there this morn working and il try to get a pic,

TRAIL BLAZER

trail blazer
12-22-2010, 04:55 AM
bako water is a very light coffee color currently...all depends on the tributaries in the region

That explain,s it,,,,,,,,,,thats why GAWY loves it so much up here====FREE COFFEE!!!:Rolls Eyes:

now that its turn,d to chocolate milk GAWY will be in heaven.:Cool:

T,B

trail blazer
12-22-2010, 05:03 AM
I hear everything is dirtier in Bako :ROFL:

Only on YOUR side of town YOLO....:Pee:yolo:LOL:

TRAIL BLAZER

yolo
12-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Haha. I'm in for some chocolate milk. I want to see that pic too. I know you guys get some different canals that dump into the duct up there so it would definitely be a little "dirtier" water there. You guys also get well water that can be pumped in too. Lots of water sources. We don't have any of that in the AV or VV.

cutbait
12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
All water put into duct is well water. Very clear and warmer than the surface duct water

Only exception was the Kern River in 06. But that was cause of the Isabella dam issue. And that was dirty water..

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
In general...Bako waters are dirtier than AV Water !

yolo
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
All water put into duct is well water. Very clear and warmer than the surface duct water

Only exception was the Kern River in 06. But that was cause of the Isabella dam issue. And that was dirty water..

How about that canal that runs all the way from Lake Millerton? Is that well water? It looks like it comes right out of the lake and travels many, many miles and then dumps into the duct. Is that canal even legal to fish? I have never been up that way. It also seems to split up in Calico and then 2 canals come down and they both dump into the duct. I know there are other locations where ground water is taken and dumped in but I don't think these 2 canals are well water. I'm always willing to learn though so any light you can shed on these 2 canals is appreciated. Do they ever dry up or is there always water flowing through them? Where are the well intakes located? Is that giant blue pipe by the orange groves considered one? I have seen water gushing out of it but have seen water being taken out too right next to it.

cutbait
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I need to clarify.

All water in "Bako" area put in is well water. {exception: 06 Kern River}

Lake Millerton is WAY up north, Fresno-Tracy section duct.

Blue pipes? I have know idea where these blue pipes are?

:Secret:

To my knowledge there are 7 spots where water is pumped into duct in Bako, a handful of a different kind of "pump-ins" that are not easily fished, but I plan on investigating next drought! :Wink:

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I need to clarify.

To my knowledge there are 7 spots where water is pumped into duct in Bako, a handful of a different kind of "pump-ins" that are not easily fished, but I plan on investigating next drought! :Wink:

I saw the kern last night.....

Shhhhh !

cutbait
12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I saw the kern last night.....

Shhhhh !

precipise!!!!

Don't know if thats spelled wright? and I ain't got no care

yolo
12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
I need to clarify.

There are 2 canals that dump into the duct. Even though Millerton is way up north, the canal coming out of it goes into the duct way down south. I was just wondering if you know if that canal is constant water or not. The few times I have been to Bako, it was bringing water in at both locations. I asked the DWR guy if those canals can be fished and he said no so I never bothered to check it out. I have seen people going over there and coming out in a hurry when the white truck was driving on that side of the duct so they must know you can't be there. Seems like stripers could easily get into them from even the duct as the grate openings were huge. They were wide enough for DD's to pass back and forth.

Can you address the two canals or ducts I am speaking of? It's the only two that dump in about a 100 yards apart. I want to expand my duct knowledge base.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
There are 2 canals that dump into the duct. Even though Millerton is way up north, the canal coming out of it goes into the duct way down south. I was just wondering if you know if that canal is constant water or not. The few times I have been to Bako, it was bringing water in at both locations. I asked the DWR guy if those canals can be fished and he said no so I never bothered to check it out. I have seen people going over there and coming out in a hurry when the white truck was driving on that side of the duct so they must know you can't be there. Seems like stripers could easily get into them from even the duct as the grate openings were huge. They were wide enough for DD's to pass back and forth.

Can you address the two canals or ducts I am speaking of? It's the only two that dump in about a 100 yards apart. I want to expand my duct knowledge base.
Those two canals are currently pumping water OUT of the duct.

cutbait
12-22-2010, 03:03 PM

I did adress those two canals....

All pump in locations (exception kern river) are well water fed

madwire3
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
too much canal talk makin me wanna go get myshoes muddy

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
precipise!!!!

Don't know if thats spelled wright? And i ain't got no care
can u afford those 50 cent words ?

yolo
12-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Those two canals are currently pumping water OUT of the duct.

I did adress those two canals....

All pump in locations (exception kern river) are well water fed

Now I'm really confused. One says they are pumping out now and one says they are "pump in". I guess it goes both ways? They can transfer both ways? Anyway, specifically, what's the deal with the one that runs from Millerton to Bako and then to the duct. It's a long one. I know you said both are well fed but does the well mix with the water coming from Millerton. It can't be all 100% well fed if it dumps out of a lake and continues south until it goes to Bako and then dumps into the duct.

Anyone fish these 2 canals? What's the deal with them? Any pics of what it looks like? They seem to go through more populated areas and through some populated neighborhoods.

cutbait
12-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Ok Yalo, your right. That canal {Cross Valley} is connected indirectly through the Friant Kern to Millerton.

I was thinking in terms of pumping in and direct link up north. I racked my brain for an hour or so thinking about what you were talking about then realized indirect routes.

But here in Bako area all canals are connected in some manner. Off the top of my head I can think of links from Kern river to Lake Buena Vista to the Delta to Millerton etc,etc..

cutbait
12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I guess it goes both ways?

Perfect description of the A/V angler

They do both go both ways.

Just so were clear it is indirectly connected to Millerton via other canals it is connected to . I was refering to pumpin well water in

cutbait
12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
See if this helps. Keep in mind that there are literally a hundred canals not in this pic that help connect all of this

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/water-1.png

BTW, NO fish in those canals... NOT ONE

yolo
12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Wait a minute, the going both ways is only a Bako thing, as you just explained. No we don't go both ways in the AV. I did a little quick research and yes the canal comes out of Millerton for about 152 miles to Bako where it probably recharges the aquifer and is probably used for irrigation in its route too. From there it is pumped as well water to the duct. Sound about right? So the next question is who has fished the Friant-Kern canal coming out of Millerton along its 152 miles of canal?

yolo
12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
See if this helps. Keep in mind that there are literally a hundred canals not in this pic that help connect all of this

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/water-1.png

BTW, NO fish in those canals... NOT ONE

I FULLY understand. No point in wasting time going there then.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I think the question is WHO WILL fish the canals....and roll out and pay those dues in the exploratory hunt.

Just need ta fish it n find out...

Payday may b round the corner for the dedicated angler...but it won't come w/o dues

cutbait
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I have caught stripers in the Friant kern

I have caught stripers in the cross valley canal

I have caught stripers in the Kern river flood channel

I have caught stripers in the irrigation canals

I have not caught stripers in Lake Buena Vista but I know several people who have

cutbait
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
This sure did turn into a cluster gary!

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM

I have not caught stripers in Lake Buena Vista but I know several people who have

Im want to know EVERYWHERE ELSE that you have caught stripers as well..

Please list in alphabetical order !

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-22-2010, 05:08 PM
So how DOES the murky water affect the feesh ?

I forgot what I read and stole from my excerpt from the net ...read a paper on it once....when I was eleven

yolo
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I thought there were no fish in it?

A cluster of information? Well you know the saying that there are no stupid questions only stupid answers. Thanks for not giving a stupid answer.

Now to get back on topic. Is it as muddy as the duct up there or cleaner?

wulfman
12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Well all this talk all makes sence, but my personal experience is that, while or right after a good rain, the bite has been at it's best, in lakes streams and ponds. So don't get discouraged by a little rain.