PDA

View Full Version : Lake level

hooks
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Just wondering how much the lake has come up the last few days?
:Titanic:
My guess is about 4 feet as of Monday.....
:Rain:
tight lines...

Marley
12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
OC register online reports more than 5 inches of rain today upslope of the lake as of 9:50 tonight and over 3 inches today on Santiago Creek. Not sure if the creek site was upstream or downstream of the lake but either way, they got a lot of water today. I betcha the lake rose at least 4 feet, probably more like 6 or 8. Good thing trout like water!
I wouldn't want to be living alongside the creek long about now.

hooks
12-21-2010, 01:18 PM
So long to the clear water..:Sad:
The lake will also have a huge patch of floating debris to deal with.
Now it's back to 6 inch leaders and shiney lures...and even more water for those fish to hide in.. happy hunting :Guns:

Rooster
12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
So long to the clear water..:Sad:
The lake will also have a huge patch of floating debris to deal with.
Now it's back to 6 inch leaders and shiney lures...and even more water for those fish to hide in.. happy hunting :Guns:
So long to the fish being spread out as well.
Ramp days are back im afraid. :Head Bang:

Josh
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
So long to the fish being spread out as well.
Ramp days are back im afraid. :Head Bang:

Yeah seems they like the cove when there's bad weather.

Marley
12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
I remember one year fishing on a Sunday under very wet and cloudy skies, walking down the west shore road (Woody's was high and dry). It started to rain as the lake closed. The lake spilled three days later, rose 27 vertical feet in three days.
Odd thing about it was that the water was not muddy at all and there was little or no floating debris. I guess it all washed over the spillway or something.
But that was an oddity, and I would bet that the water will be clsoe to chocolate milk for the better part of a month. I hope not, but I bet.

Rooster
12-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah seems they like the cove when there's bad weather.
The problem is they are not capable of stocking other places other then the ramp.
Road to flats closed = Ramp Stocking = Woodys cove or ramp :Rain:

Prowler_Tuber
12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
It was really low, I put a pic on my post of the point across from Woddies last year it was 5-7 feet higher.

BRING IT
12-21-2010, 05:04 PM
so long to the fish being spread out as well.
Ramp days are back im afraid. :head bang:

you mean snaggers beach:ROFL:

MAVERICK27
12-21-2010, 06:52 PM
This will be interesting to say the least. Anything can happen. Let's see how the fishies react!!

TaperSteve
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
See you all at the lake soon!!!

TS

JAG107
12-21-2010, 07:10 PM
so how bad will it be by friday? I've never fished the Vine, and have looked forward to the chance to go for a while. I know my usual spot (named after a watery Mexican beer lol) will be like fishing in chocolate milk just like after last years big storm. Does this staining really happen to the Vine too? I plan on trolling mostly, what is your guys' experience trolling after a big rain here? Thanks for any input!

TaperSteve
12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
It supposed to stop raining Wed night. The lake has had little fishing pressure this last week and as soon as this weather goes away the lake is going to be WFO on fire! Ill be heading out there Thurs or Friday also. Maybe i'll see you there, if not, good luck!

TS

muskyman
12-21-2010, 08:24 PM
A full lake level means more fishing room and more cover to fish. And good fishing in Irvine Park with the water going over the spillway :)

the killa fish taco
12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
you mean snaggers beach:ROFL:

more like winder beach.....

looks like the good ol days are back.....

Bebop
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
it couldnt be any worse than sunday was. Or maybe it will. any how I will be there for the tradition. Omar get ready buddy
it may not be double didget but you never know, Fish on. I think I am having nightmares.

BRING IT
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
more like winder beach.....

looks like the good ol days are back.....

We might be posting up at the bait shop. through out on jimmys parking space. ITS WIDE!

Marley
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
so how bad will it be by friday? I've never fished the Vine, and have looked forward to the chance to go for a while. I know my usual spot (named after a watery Mexican beer lol) will be like fishing in chocolate milk just like after last years big storm. Does this staining really happen to the Vine too? I plan on trolling mostly, what is your guys' experience trolling after a big rain here? Thanks for any input!
Depends on how much water is going over the spillway. Surely boats won't be allowed near the spillway and likely the creek mouth, too. Just too dangerous, if the lake will even be open. If I were fishing Friday I would forego trouting (no trolling in chocolate milk, if that's the condition), get as close as possible to the creek and flyline a wad of worms for catfish. Maybe pitch that roadkill possum on a 12/0 circle for a marauding giant blue.

dixoncider
12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
If I remember correctly, there can be ton of debris on the surface after the rain..trolling may not be an option..

Marley
12-22-2010, 08:44 AM
If I remember correctly, there can be ton of debris on the surface after the rain..trolling may not be an option..

That's very true. I was looking at the Santa Ana River bed yesterday on teh way home from work and you could see literally small stands of trees that had been uprooted and washed away. Probably more than a few came down Santiago Creek, too.

addict2fishing
12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Channel 4 news just reported that
Santiago Road is closed at the 241 to Cook`s Corner.
Might want to call to see if you can even get to the gate.

Redside
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
At about 4:00 p.m. today, I tried to drive out to Irvine Lake, Highway Patrol had Santiago Canyon Rd. closed just east of the 241, due to mudslide. They were turning everyone around. Check before you head out.

Kimbo
12-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Hope it clears up by Friday. I was planning on going.

JAG107
12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
it'll probably be super muddy for at least a week IMO. Gonna wait it out a couple weeks before trying, I think. I really want to go there to troll, I can B&W anywhere.

Marley
12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
it'll probably be super muddy for at least a week IMO. Gonna wait it out a couple weeks before trying, I think. I really want to go there to troll, I can B&W anywhere.

It's going to be muddy for a month at least. Trolling won't be productive again until, like, March. At least not like it has been the last 4 weeks or so.