PDA

View Full Version : Harbor City Park Lake

reptile dude007
12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Went down there in the rain with one of my friends to see if we could find some good fishing spots for when it stops raining. Boy did we.

Got there about noon, walked the shore line and there was bait fish EVERY WHERE, I even saw some good sized Bass (2 or 3 lb) lurking around the fish. This lake is bouncing back. I also saw some small bluegill being chased. Thank god I live less than half a mile from this lake!

Ifishtoolittle
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Good to hear that your local park is alive and well.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
12-20-2010, 07:11 PM
GREAT !!! I'll be there with my bucket for bass and all my snagging gear..thanx for the post.

ghetto dad
12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
great to know HP still has some fish in it....last i heard it was VERY poluted, so I wouldnt eat anything out of there...

nice report brother....

reptile dude007
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
GD, Yeah Same here. I heard there was a high amount of DDT in there too. It was pretty cool seeing the Damn flooded.

reptile dude007
12-20-2010, 08:47 PM
May go down there next week since I will still be on x-mas break for some Carp fishing. Hit me up if you want to meet down there.

ghetto dad
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
harbor city is too far for me now..im in HB now..lol...have fun brother..go slay!!

Surfer
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Just be careful of the gay dudes having sex in the woods when your there. It has been a big problem there in the past.

reptile dude007
12-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks! Wouldn't want to run into that.

DockRat
12-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Lake Machado $117 Million Restoration /// PCH & 110
Bring Back Reggie the Gator

Cleanup of Machado Lake planned
By Donna Littlejohn Staff Writer
Posted: 04/28/2010 06:41:30 AM PDT

The City of Los Angeles bureau of Engineering is proposing to rehabilitate the Wilmington Drain and Machado Lake located adjacent to and within Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park. A snowy egret leaves its perch on a containment boom which keep debris from further flowing down the Wilmington Drain under PCH in Harbor City.

But close up, the reality is harsh.

For years the lake, which holds runoff storm water from the area, has collected everything from pesticides to swarms of mosquitoes and piles of trash.

What once was a pristine spot for bird watchers has deteriorated through the decades. The park now draws homeless encampments and has become a haven for lewd activity.

As Palos Verdes/South Bay Audubon Society member Martin Byhower put it back in 2003: "That park is a microcosm for everything that can go wrong in a regional park."

Next year, work begins to address those long-standing ills. The entire project - formally titled the Wilmington Drain Multi-use and Machado Lake Ecosystem Rehabilitation Project - is expected to be finished by mid-2013.

Work on the Wilmington Drain that feeds into the lake begins in the summer of 2011 and is expected to take 1 1/2 years. Work on Machado Lake begins in the fall of 2011 and will take 2 1/2 years.

Funding comes from the 2004 passage of Proposition O, a statewide measure to clean urban runoff and improve water quality.

The $117 million cleanup of Machado Lake and the Wilmington Drain will include a series of steps, from installing trash nets and circulatory equipment to dredging the bottom of the lake.
Floating islands will be created for nesting areas to support native habitat.

Benches and other park amenities also will be added to the 231-acre Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park that surrounds the body of water. Expanded recreational uses - possibly a "catch-and-release" fishery for example - will be decided upon later by the city's Recreation and Parks Department.

"There are four goals: water quality improvements, recreational enhancements, wildlife habitat improvements and flood control," said Michelle Vargas, public information officer for the city of Los Angeles.

"Clearly this will be a major improvement over what we've seen in decades of neglect," said Jess Morton, also of the Audubon Society.

Nets and other filters will be installed to keep the lake and drain connections cleaner, Vargas said. The water level also will be maintained at 8 feet to ensure more oxygen to support the fish and other wildlife.

"You won't see the summertime die-off of fish and birds caused by nutrient loads," Morton said.

Algae, pesticides and pollutants such as metals from area industry are likely to be found in the sediment at the bottom of the lake once dredging begins in 2011.

Once known by locals as "the slough," the area was owned by the Dominguez family in the 1700s and American Indians remained prevalent around the lake. The property later went to the Sepulveda family.

It was annexed in 1906 to the city of Los Angeles and eventually was designated as a regional park.

In the 1990s, the park was named for Ken Malloy, a San Pedro environmentalist who died in 1991 at the age of 78.

Malloy came upon the undeveloped area in the 1930s when his car bumped into some cows grazing on the property and spent years nurturing it.

Convinced it could someday become a grand regional park, Malloy later formed the 62-acre Machado Youth Campground within the park. He was instrumental in planting hundreds of trees in the park as well, working with the California Conservation Corps.

Public meetings about the project have been held and comments are still being solicited for the draft environmental report and will remain open until May 3.

donna.littlejohn@dailybreeze.com

DockRat
12-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Good Luck, I would pass on it. Maybe carp or bluegill but I talked to a Bass guy that lived across the street from it and he fished it hard for days for ZERO Bass.

Lots of water snakes and some big turtles in the swamp between PCH and Lomita Blvd.
I worked that area for a week after work everyday Reggie Gator Hunting.

Daily Breeze had a article on the Craigslist Fudge Packers that would meet for :Sissy Fight: ?
They busted a few in a Sting Operation. :Shocked:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z96/mariandepaula/Reggie%20the%20AlligatorArce%20Photos/7980.jpg It looks good from far.
Up Close ' Far from Good ' Take a rain check till 2012
DR

brycek1984
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Daily Breeze had a article on the Craigslist Fudge Packers that would meet for :Sissy Fight: ?
DR

Cheapskates. Should have got room down the street or at least go to Isenhower.

brycek1984
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Just be careful of the gay dudes having sex in the woods when your there. It has been a big problem there in the past.

Man, those "gay dudes" have some nerves. Where do they think they 're at ? Isenhower?

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
12-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Man, those "gay dudes" have some nerves. Where do they think they 're at ? Isenhower?
we get the hint, you wanna meat gay fools at your local park....lol

BrandonFish
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
GREAT !!! I'll be there with my bucket for bass and all my snagging gear..thanx for the post.

i have a 5 gallon Bucket ready for destruction :Twisted::Twisted: :LOL:

dfisher
12-30-2010, 01:56 AM
we get the hint, you wanna meat gay fools at your local park....lol

rofl.

something about meat and gay fools doesn't sound right. :P

bman90278
12-30-2010, 10:06 AM
The Daily Breeze ran another article today on stories from 2010 and guess what was in there??? Harbor Lake .

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_16967510?source=rv

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site577/2010/1229/20101229__C_TN30-YEAREND2+PC5LJF0_400.JPG

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
12-30-2010, 04:00 PM
rofl.

something about meat and gay fools doesn't sound right. :P
hahahaha, i know!!!lol..sup D, been ninja fishin in the bay area?

reptile dude007
12-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Damn surprised they don't get jumped in the wooded area of that lake with the gangs and homeless that are back up there.

Hahaha Jumped

Surfer
12-31-2010, 03:25 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm150/civicsurfer/d4eb17cf.jpg

reptile dude007
12-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I was back down there today, just going to say. I'm going back down there with my fly rod asap!

BigBassHogExpert
01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh yes, lots of big hog LMB's in Harbor City. My biggest one was only 8 lbs, but I've seen many bigger ones. Keep at it and you'll get your DD LMB there. Oh, and I agree Bryce, the brazen audacity of those gay guys when there are so many better trolling places in the West Hollywood area.

DockRat
01-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh yes, lots of big hog LMB's in Harbor City. My biggest one was only 8 lbs, but I've seen many bigger ones. Keep at it and you'll get your DD LMB there.

Is that in years past or this decade ? I heard no bass in there of late.
DR

reptile dude007
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Went there yesterday with a friend, he got bored within 45 min because he kept getting tangled up in the trees, so We stopped fishing so I could retain my sanity and went to the driving range. Next time, I will go alone. :Skunk:

B@$$[P][M][P]
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
LMAO!!!! that is funny ****!!

bman90278
01-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I found this interesting link while searchin the net this morning.

It has some great pics and info on what the they have been finding and testing inHarbor Lake.
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2507

From http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/klawnskale/catfish.jpg

to Green sunfish and Crucian Carp
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/klawnskale/carp.jpg

Don't forget the neighborhood leechs and snakes too...and much more.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/klawnskale/LakeMachado_Nerodia_bloodsucker_Jul2010_MSC003_1co py.jpg

Surfer
01-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Very interesting read. Thanks Brian.

reptile dude007
01-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Yep, I love going down there in the summer and catch the water snakes, I let them go though.

DockRat
01-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Yep, I love going down there in the summer and catch the water snakes, I let them go though.

I read there is over 10,000 water snakes in there.
When they bring in the bulldozers this summer and drain it Harbor City and Wilmas will be over run with snakes and homeless guys running from the bush.
DR

DockRat
01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
That is a nice read.

' We had to cover our bodies with gloves, waders and boots to protect ourselves from the nasties present in the water (botulinum bacteria, high ammonia levels, leeches, city run-off, and a layer of old DDT) and our skin was treated with DEET to shield us from unrelenting voracious mosquitos.'

Yikes, LEECHES http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u245/aliciarocknroll/leeches.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/TayTayRu/LEECH.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/buzzbot/leeches.jpghttp://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg97/ssgsteelhead/bunnystringleeches.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/serabell/non%20superbowl%20party/panoramic016.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/SubliminalThght/040628_leeches_hmed.jpghttp://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww351/Mathnerdkid/leeches1.jpg DR

bman90278
01-09-2011, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=DockRat;513055]That is a nice read.

' We had to cover our bodies with gloves, waders and boots to protect ourselves from the nasties present in the water (botulinum bacteria, high ammonia levels, leeches, city run-off, and a layer of old DDT) and our skin was treated with DEET to shield us from unrelenting voracious mosquitos.'

I knew DockRat would come out for this thread..

Yes I do find that very concerning knowing the tester made sure he was fully covered. That's a Yikes from me too, lol

brian

DockRat
01-10-2011, 06:07 AM
I knew DockRat would come out for this thread..
brian

I drive by going to work everyday.

I spent some time bush wacking Pch to Lomita Blvd looking for Reggie and never saw a snake.
Saw some big turtles like the one the guy found, red ear sliders.
Found a 14' Canoe (plastic) with a worn ' Florida Gatorland ' sticker on it. The homeless use it to collect plastic bottles. That PCH to Lomita section is spooky. Lots of life in there, check it out. Park at the end of Dodge St and enter the trails there. Bring weapons, and get out by dark :Shocked: Good Luck.
DR

bman90278
04-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Any updates?

-b

skylarjames2009
04-16-2012, 12:41 AM
So is that how you fish now..... hahaheehee

ushone
04-18-2012, 10:45 PM
i live across the street and their hasnt been any work on the lake yet, i almost want to say last i heard was they claimed that "further testing showed the water wasnt as contaminated as they thought" or something random like that. ill see if i can find the article again.

Surfer
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Any updates

bman90278
08-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Any updates

Someone tried to burn it down last month..

fishead
08-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I walked down to the watters edge this am. And there's a lot of fry evrywhere. Where there's litle fish there s biger fish. There's a lot of vegitation on a lot of the shoreline but there's a spot ot 2 to catch from and release of course.In tha years before regie I. Caught guppies,bluegill,bass,,crapie ,carp and catfish. And an ocasional goldfish, I haven't fished here since it was Regies temporary home. The lake is being filled with watter the pipe is blasting it with watter. Diing. Diiiing.

fishead
08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
The watter is still flowing. That should make some good bassin c/r fishing.

Surfer
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I walked down to the watters edge this am. And there's a lot of fry evrywhere. Where there's litle fish there s biger fish. There's a lot of vegitation on a lot of the shoreline but there's a spot ot 2 to catch from and release of course.In tha years before regie I. Caught guppies,bluegill,bass,,crapie ,carp and catfish. And an ocasional goldfish, I haven't fished here since it was Regies temporary home. The lake is being filled with watter the pipe is blasting it with watter. Diing. Diiiing.

Any of the fry look like bass fry? Because I have been there in the past and seen tons of tiny fish that looked like fry but I think were just mosquito fish.

fishead
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
They are quick to scater apon aproach they act like bass I can't get close enough to look but there hasto be bass and blue gill in there. And maybe crappie.

USCisbeast22
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you kidding me? poacher

USCisbeast22
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Are you kidding me? poacher

Sorry I am talking to BIG*GAME*HUNTER

USCisbeast22
10-27-2012, 07:18 PM

Are you being sarcastic?

cutbait
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Are you being sarcastic?
No he's not being sarcastic.

A bunch of us routinely scan the boards for a decent bite and will snag, net, or catch a minimum of a 5 gal. Bucket worth

DockRat
10-27-2012, 07:47 PM
No he's not being sarcastic.

A bunch of us routinely scan the boards for a decent bite and will snag, net, or catch a minimum of a 5 gal. Bucket worth

Lol

No work done on Harbor Park. Lack of funds.
2012 was suppose to be the year. Lol.
So much for the dredged, remodeled lake.
DR

DockRat
10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Talked to a Bass dude from Florida that moved to the area.
He said he walked the whole lake a few times trying for LMB. Zilch, Nada, Nuttin.
Saw some turtles across from PCH, lots of bait fish, maybe Carp in there.
DR

Surfer
10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Talked to a Bass dude from Florida that moved to the area.
He said he walked the whole lake a few times trying for LMB. Zilch, Nada, Nuttin.
Saw some turtles across from PCH, lots of bait fish, maybe Carp in there.
DR

I walked the lake about 3 weeks ago and what a sad sight. A once very productive bass lake is no more. I didn't even see any bluegills. The only fish I saw were mosquito fish. I am convinced there are no longer any bass in Harbor Park Lake. There will always be a special place in my heart for Harbor as I caught my first ever LMB here many years ago.

fishead
10-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Maybe ill plant some bass in harbor lake amd bluegills too .