PDA

View Full Version : Catalina Bait?

gman90706
07-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Heading to Catalina Monday evening ... curious about what y'all do for bait out there?

Usually we leave late @ night (11pm+) from Davies launch ... mainly because the much smoother ride in the 21' ... then anchor up, crash, and stay all morning/day and fish it up.

Seems the LB bait barges are mostly closed during that time ... and if I do get lucky to pick some up before heading over, they get pretty beat up on the way over.

- Any tips for where and when to get live bait @ Catalina during the weekdays?

- Anybody else make their own bait out there? I've got a nice setup Honda generator w/ a 400W metal halide light and have made my own bait a few times, but that's always hit or miss. Would like to have a plan for a sure thing..!

Thanks!

Baseballer44
07-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I was just out there yesterday, and all they had at the Avalon bait sellers was live squid. It seemed to do pretty well with the fish, but its tough to get a lot of fish with how large the squid are compared to the hooks. We always seemed to get half of our squid eaten, of course the half without the hook. Next time we go we will be sure to pick up half a scoop in lb, then if thats not hitting or living, then we can pick up some very expensive squid in Catalina. $40 a half scoop. ouch!

Where are you planning to go?

Good luck, and good fishing!

Baseballer44
07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
woops! dont know why that happened! sorry for the dbl post

gman90706
07-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah the $$ can get a bit ridiculous over there. I had the # of a guy that we met up with last year but I can't find his card anywhere - gave us a reasonable deal after seeing us fail at making our own bait all night LOL ... (I think he gave us half a scoop for $25)...

Anyway we'll probably head to our usual anchor spot around Long Point - nice cove over there that's pretty protected for kickin' it. Then in the AM head down through Avalon, around to Church and check out the Vee's.... maybe head out to Farnsworth - had pretty decent luck there last time. Probably will target Calico's and YT (if they're even around), so we'll work the plastics, etc. but always like to have live stuff on hand.

It'll be my first time over there during the week -- just hoping we'll be able to get some live stuff being Monday and all?

gman90706
07-29-2007, 04:08 PM
We always seemed to get half of our squid eaten, of course the half without the hook.
Sound like smaller stufff hitting you when that's happening ... may try double-hooking 'em next time (at least to find out what the heck is chomping off the other half :wink: This setup works pretty decent for me: http://www.marinews.com/Rigging-Whole-Squid-203.php

Baseballer44
07-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Wow that looks like a perfect set up. I found that most fish would come hit the tentacles and then take off. We started hooking through the bottom and that yielded better results, and yeah we were pulling up small Calicos around 12". Thanks for the site, and hopefully I can make a knot like that, it looks pretty difficult. :?

gman90706
07-29-2007, 04:54 PM
....and hopefully I can make a knot like that, it looks pretty difficult. :?
It's a bit tricky but once you get used to it it's pretty easy .. I snell the first hook leaving plenty of extra on the tag, then palomar knot for the 2nd hook (or whatever knot you prefer) at the desired length, depending on the size bait...
(I've found this site pretty handy) - http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com (http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com))

SanDimasLMB
07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't use the sliding snood. Just use a Palomar knot to tie the first hook on, then with the tag end, tie the second hook about 4-6 inches down. The snood has a high probable fail rate, I've lost a couple of Yellowtail because of that.

fishncatalina
07-29-2007, 10:55 PM
make your own bait, it's cheaper.