PDA

View Full Version : Jess Ranch Lakes Fri 12/17/10

Trout Daddy
12-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Here are a few pics of the kids doing there thing. I caught about 4 on Orange Lip Ripperz Worm and my oldest caught 3 on jigs and the youngest 3 on cheese PB with a orange worm and orange PB with a white worm. All dipped in Bite On Garlic:Secret:

The lake now stocks on Friday afternoons after the workers get done with their stuff around 2:00. This place is great to get on fish.

fishmounter
12-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Those are great photos! I remember taking my 4 son's out fishing here and there and how exciting it was when one of them hooked a fish! I would not even fish. Too busy helping them! Take your kids often. They will remember each trip, and fishing turns kids into good people! (my opinion)

Spaulding
12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Nice job out there.

FishinFireFighter
12-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I take my 4 year old son there but after the last three trips Ive decided its not worth it to pay for that lake anymore. They have nice looking fish and the lake is clean but the fish they stock are TINY!! Years prior werent like this if I remember right but Ive yet to see a descent size fish come out of that place lately. Its unfortunate because my son loves going there but I just take him to silverwood now at least he has a chance at landing a descent size there. Great pics though Im sure you kids wont forget it!!

Jimbow
12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Nice work Trout Daddy!

drifter023
12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
:Smile:Me I would rather have the kids catch small nice looking full tail trout than the frankin looking ones. Because kids do not care if they are 12" or 24" they just have a good time catching. But that is just me . Nice job out there....:Wink:

Ultralight
12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
So all stocking are on Friday? Wish they would stock larger ones as mentioned before.

UL

ghetto dad
12-19-2010, 11:30 PM
NICE job with the kids Trout Daddy!!!

Trout Daddy
12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
They stock larger fish, and there are some big fish in there. I have been there the last 3 Fridays and have seen 6# plus trout pulled out of there. We saw a guy with an 8#er Friday from Lake 2. I personally have hooked 2 larger fish there just havent been abel to land them. Sure there are small fish there but there are also big ones. The kids enjoy it and that is a huge plus. Also dont have to worry about them crossing peoples lines, etc......

CHUCKY
12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Looks like a bunch of fun.Great place to fish i think.

TUNAVIC
12-21-2010, 07:25 PM
There are definitely have big fish in the two trout lakes. I fished there two Saturdays ago all three of us limited out with biggest trout being a 7lb8ounce fish,also saw many fish over 2lbs and a couple of 4lb plus.
If you go enough eventually you will get some of the larger models, have faith!!lol
Cya Tuna Vic
ps:pic of that 7.8lb fish is in the WON last week, my buddys the guy from La Habra,with the big smile!

Jimbow
12-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Hey fishinfirefighter I've fished there 5 times in the last 2 months posting double limits each time with fish averaging 3 lbs with the largest being 7 pounds. All these fish were healthy full tailed and pink meated fish. Last trip my wife who never fishes caught her limit in an hour and half with my limit being all 3 to 4 lb fish. This place would be one of the best places around as far as I'm concerned to teach kids to fish.

phishin phool
12-25-2010, 12:15 PM
fished there christmas eve didnt see one trout over 1/2 lb..SUPER DINKFEST!!!!!!

Jimbow
12-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I have yet to see a dink out of there......going tomorrow and will take some pics. Ive noticed that you need to put some time and effort in there and once you learn the lakes they are golden! The last time I was there I did not get my spot, so we camped on another spot we had never fished. Will after an hour of fishing and nearly two full limits caught and as many missed the neighbors started asking us what we were using. So I gave them the bait I was using showed them how to rig it and where to cast. Guess what........They still could not catch a trout. But I have faith that if they keep asking and learning the techniques they too will begin to leave the lake with full limits.:Smile: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Ultralight
12-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Well, we caught 11 trout and weighed each on an accurate postal scale. Rounded to nearest ounce, the eleven weighed (before cleaning so these are full weight):

12 oz
8 oz
7 oz
8oz
11 oz
7 oz
10 oz
14 oz
10 oz
9 oz
13 oz

Average weight 8.7 oz.

16 oz makes 1 lb by the way.

We had an enjoyable trip. While the trout were small, what we did enjoy were:

1. Pleasant and helpful service.
2. Nice environment.
3. Pretty predictable fishing - if you have the lake dialed in, you will catch fish. Most regulars limit out. Theirs did not seem a whole lot larger.
4. Good place for the family where success in catching something is important.
5. Fish tastes pretty good - slightly pink meat as these were still pretty small trout. I assume that the larger trout would be more pink.

it seems that they stock mostly small ones based on our experience with the few larger 3-6 lb fish so that each day or so, one or two person lands one like that for bragging rights and allow Jess Ranch to publicize the larger trout. I could be wrong but that is my read.

By the way, I have fished with some very experienced trout fisherman and almost without exception, most of my buddies over estimate the actual weight of the trout landed. The only way to really tell is to actually weigh them. Once I began doing that to every trout, I could estimate pretty accurately. When I was at Jess, the person in charge told me my trout were much larger than 1/2 lb average though I thought they did average around 1/2 lb. This is not a complaint. The whole experience was worth the effort and I do plan to take my family back one of these days.

If I had a choice though, I'd rather pay more in gate fees and have them stock larger trout - averaging 1 1/2 lbs if possible. If the averaged that, I'd be back a lot more often. However, I have no idea what it cost to run the business and what profit margin they need to stay in the black so no complaints here. I assume that they are doing their best to serve their customers.

UL

troutguy26
12-27-2010, 12:13 AM
i agree man! good job on catching some tho..i have personally landed a 4 and a 3.5 in the same day there..keep tryin, they are there..haha

fishboy12
12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
My son and I have been going there lately and limiting out before 1030. The fish are small, but if you like to eat trout these are some of the best around.

phishin phool
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I fished there last fri and had pretty poor action being my first time, I walked around both lakes and saw alot of fish bein caught but like i said i didnt see one fish over what i figured to be a half pound. Still fun tho, at least your catching something, it is a cool place. you can pay alot more at corona, sarl or irvine and not catch a dang thing. I'm goin back this fri and see if i can have a little better luck. Anybody got any tips on good spots for a Jess rookie, i sure could use them. Happy phishin!!!!