PDA

View Full Version : Jetty Fishing

.:LOLLY:.
12-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I know the weather has been out of the norm lately but has anyone had any luck on the Jetty's lately? I have not caught a decent sized bass in a pretty good while. All though, not too long ago I did come across a school of Bonita.

I had just bought my first LC and took it out for a whirl. I caught four 2# bonito's within minutes of each other. Every bonito landed was a guaranteed hook in the finger. The three trebles on the LC's seem like a bad idea when the fish won't stop shaking like a paint shaker LOL. I have to learn how to hold a bonito properly!

Any help /advice is appreciated
tight lines!

lovefofish
12-17-2010, 07:13 PM
what jetty? also just grab the fish on the back of the head ussually helps ;).

12-18-2010, 10:43 AM
My fishing is done either at shoreline or 72nd st jetty.
I've heard grabbing them by the gills also makes them stop moving, any thoughts on that?
Wouldn't it hurt the fish if you stick your fingers in his gills?

By the way, good job at the dirby lovefofish. I saw your video.

lovefofish
12-18-2010, 09:04 PM
haha to be honest after I watched it a few times I was like what a P.O.S.

yes if you stick your finger in the gills it will hurt the fish. especially Bass or Hali's IMO

12-18-2010, 09:11 PM
LOL why is that?

DockRat
12-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Pin the bonito down on a gunny sack. Grab the hook with needle nose pliers.
DR

Viejo
12-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Don't have an answer for your question of where all the Bass are along the Jetty. Could be a number of factors. Are the places you fish easily accessible and normally pretty croweded?

If you are fishing to eat the fish....any method that doesn't get you stuck ought to do the job. If you plan on releasing the fish, pinch the barbs down. The catch rate really isn't affected much (with all those hooks still available) by going barbless as long as you keep steady tension on the line.

12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I always catch and release when fishing piers and jetty's

PUDD MASTER BAITER
12-29-2010, 07:02 AM
isnt it a shame.fishing 72nd jettty for over 50yrs .ive seen a steady decline of quality cathces. i remember when the first plastics came out 20 bass was an average day.along with bass ,halibuts,big butter mouth;and other spieces were a gaurentee, catch.now i go ,and am lucky to get a hit, unless going out further on the jetty ,which at my age can be a challenge .protect our fishery ,and encourge , catch ,and release all the time.so the younger generations can catch something....sorry for jumping on this thread but it has to be said......good luck ...mike the pmb

smokehound
12-29-2010, 07:11 AM
isnt it a shame.fishing 72nd jettty for over 50yrs .ive seen a steady decline of quality cathces. i remember when the first plastics came out 20 bass was an average day.along with bass ,halibuts,big butter mouth;and other spieces were a gaurentee, catch.now i go ,and am lucky to get a hit, unless going out further on the jetty ,which at my age can be a challenge .protect our fishery ,and encourge , catch ,and release all the time.so the younger generations can catch something....sorry for jumping on this thread but it has to be said......good luck ...mike the pmbYES. CPR is a given!