PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on baitcasting reel

VietReefer
12-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Just started fishing for a few months and I've always used spinning.
Recently, I've bought a baitcast 7'10 Carrot Stik Gold rod and is looking at the Shimano Curado 200E reel to pair it up.
The only thing I'm considering before buying is should I get the 201E5 or 201E7, the only difference between them is the gear ratio I think.
I'll be using the setup mainly for surf fishing and bass fishing throwing mainly crankbaits and swimbaits. Which gear ratio is more suited for my type of fishing? I've read an article somewhere that 201e5 is more suited for working swimbaits .. but can't find that article anymore cuz that website is down permanently.
thanks all

Nessie Hunter
12-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Curado is a good choice.
The E-5 is best suited for what your doing..
Lower gear ratio gives you more cranking power and is way fast enough for most applications...
Should do some Salt proofing on it (any reel) before you get it full of saltwater and Sand..

stg68
12-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Just started fishing for a few months and I've always used spinning.
Recently, I've bought a baitcast 7'10 Carrot Stik Gold rod and is looking at the Shimano Curado 200E reel to pair it up.
The only thing I'm considering before buying is should I get the 201E5 or 201E7, the only difference between them is the gear ratio I think.
I'll be using the setup mainly for surf fishing and bass fishing throwing mainly crankbaits and swimbaits. Which gear ratio is more suited for my type of fishing? I've read an article somewhere that 201e5 is more suited for working swimbaits .. but can't find that article anymore cuz that website is down permanently.
thanks all

crankbaits slow and swimbaits a little faster. If just for cranks 200E5 better.
Me, personally, I not using cranks much, so I prefer faster reels. I got 2 new Curados this year, both E7.

bsp
12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
For freshwater/saltwater crankbaits go with the E5, the slower gear ratio makes it easier to work the bait correctly.

What do you classify as a swimbait? A 3in Big Hammer is going to be totally different than a 8in Huddleston in terms of what reel you use.

MAVERICK27
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree with the other two. If you fish the eel grass, 7to1 ratio to keep em from diving down and getting stuck. For cranks, E5 definitely. There are far more days cranks get hit with a slow retrieve than faster. For swimbaits, from what I gather, sometimes the slower the better. I have never heard of burning a swim bait lol.

Looks like E5 :) Good luck and post some pics when you stick some hogs!!

Dr. MindBendo
12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I would choose the E5 for cranks because of the slower gear ratio.

VietReefer
12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks all for your valuable advices. I didn't know the Curado 200E5 is not made "left handed", only right handed version. The 200E7 however is made both right and left handed version :(.
Which, made me thinking about the Revo STX, gear ration 6.3.1 (if I remember it right), how about this choice? or perhaps the Citica 200E??
BTW, by referring to swimbaits the type that I use most would be Big Hammer and the similar.

bassnamedsue
12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I would go with the 7to1 The curados have the high efficiency gearing so you dont sacrifice much power and if your gonna ever use lucky craft flash minnows the higher ratio is better.

NFCD I
12-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I am a big Shimano fan. I have 4 Cronarch's and 2 Citica's. A friend of mine just bought the new Shimano Caenan. He loves it. He said he likes it over his Citica. It has a gear ration 6.5:1. It comes in both left and right handed retrieves and can handle up to 30# test. The good news is it sells for $89.99. You could buy one for each salt and freshwater. It's worth checking out.

wulfman
12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Shimano's are great but i absolutely love the Abu Garcia's Revo series, have two STX's. If your looking for a slower crank i would go with the Revo Winch.

VietReefer
12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I am a big Shimano fan. I have 4 Cronarch's and 2 Citica's. A friend of mine just bought the new Shimano Caenan. He loves it. He said he likes it over his Citica. It has a gear ration 6.5:1. It comes in both left and right handed retrieves and can handle up to 30# test. The good news is it sells for $89.99. You could buy one for each salt and freshwater. It's worth checking out.

Thanks
Where is this on sale at?

NFCD I
12-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Shimano very rarely allows distributors to discount their reels. Cabela's, Bass Pro, or any other store that carries them will sell them for $89.99.
Good Luck

Double A
12-18-2010, 02:39 PM
also check out abu's orra sx. they also have an "inshore" model.