PDA

View Full Version : stupid tree huggers

Androoshk
12-16-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-1216-marine-reserves-20101216,0,1895962.story

saw this this morning. I want to cry

DockRat
12-17-2010, 06:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/bunky3301/tree_hugger.jpg

I want to know whats going to happen now that the Urchin Divers can not harvest in a MPA ? Too many Urchins then Bye Bye Kelp.

I hope locals call DFG when kids collect sandcrabs in Laguna :Envious:

No Take of ALL Marine Species below the high tide line.

Take a Sandcrab = Go To Prison

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/gauravgs/00094.gif

' What are you in for ? '

' I was at the beach with my mom when I got arrested for filling my bucket with sandcrabs '

Father seen here teaching a kid how to Poach Sandcrabs !

This is not a joke. The LAW clearly states No Marine Species shall Taken from a MPA !

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/myztikalmami/Picture001-3.jpg

Call DFG if you see violations like above :Angry:
DR

trail blazer
12-17-2010, 06:53 AM
What a SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

T,B

Wingnut
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Sacramento, CA – December 15, 2010 – Despite ongoing legal concerns, the California Fish and Game Commission (FGC) voted 3-2 to approve a wide-ranging array of marine protected areas (MPAs), essentially no-fishing zones, along the southern California coast. In its latest effort to implement the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA), the commission’s vote indefinitely closes approximately 12 percent of southern California’s ocean to recreational fishing – including many of the state’s best recreational fishing areas.

“It’s beyond comprehension that the commission would go through with approving these regulations given the serious flaws in the process,” said Bob Fletcher of the Sportfishing Association of California and former Chief Deputy Director of the California Department of Fish and Game. “The commission obviously had no desire to assure that a fair, open, objective and legally conducted process was in place before such a vote occurred. This vote leaves little doubt that the MLPA has is based on political agendas instead of the needs of California’s citizens and natural resources.”

The Partnership for Sustainable Oceans (PSO), which represents recreational fishing and boating interests in California, has been actively engaged in the MLPA process since the North Central Coast phase. The PSO has voiced its concerns regarding the numerous flaws and a lack of transparency in the process. One of the PSO’s members, United Anglers of Southern California (UASC), has retained legal representation to investigate the legality of the MLPA process.

During the December 15, commission meeting, the PSO’s attorneys presented to the commission the numerous examples of defects in the rulemaking process, including many flaws that were discovered after reviewing MLPA planning documents that have only recently become public.

On October 1, 2010, a California Superior Court ruled that two MLPA planning groups – the Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) and Master Plan Team , also known as the Science Advisory Team, are state agencies and therefore compelled by California’s Public Records Act to share information that they were withholding from public view. These groups would not respond to a Public Records Act request, incorrectly claiming they were not state agencies. In light of a PSO review of the documents provided to date, the commission was presented several notable findings prior to their vote, including evidence that the BRTF held numerous scheduled, agendized meetings which were closed to the public.

Other notable flaws and concerns with the MLPA process that were not taken into consideration by the commission include:

* Lack of funding for the necessary monitoring and enforcement of MPA regulations – a $40 million annual price tag.
* Negative economic impact of closures to saltwater recreational fishing, which contributes $2.3 billion to California’s economy annually and supports nearly 20,000 jobs.
* Major flaws in the environmental analysis of the impacts of the proposed South Coast regulations.
* Inconsistent and shifting guidelines throughout the process.

“The MLPA attempts to resolve a fisheries ‘crisis’ that simply does not exist. As a result of decades of successful traditional fisheries management, according to the National Marine Fisheries Service, there is not one marine fish stock currently experiencing overfishing in California’s waters,” said Gordon Robertson, Vice President of the American Sportfishing Association, a PSO member. “Simply put: fisheries management in California is working and the MPAs are not necessary.”

“While we are deeply disturbed that the commission would go forward with approving these regulations, the process is not over yet,” noted John Riordan, Board Member of UASC. “The PSO legal effort is working to protect the interests of recreational anglers and is making significant progress. I urge all anglers and anyone concerned with the MLPA to visit www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org (http://www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org/) and make a donation to help the fight against this flawed process in the courts.”