PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Trip to Puddingstone Results in 2 Big Crappies

Natural Lefty
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
My wife had made a hot date with me yesterday to take her to the Redondo Sportfishing Pier, where she wanted to catch Senorita or whatever. She has been staying in Rowland Heights all fall for the most part helping her daughter remodel her new house, leaving me here in Moreno Valley. Now, the remodelling is almost done, but her daughter is afraid to be there alone and looking for renters.

I made it to Rowland Heights around 11:30 a.m. to find an empty house, which was a helpless feeling. A while later, I was relieved when my wife and Isabella showed up with some groceries. AFter lunch, I figured we would head for Redondo Beach, but my wife said a woman who wanted to rent a room was supposed to show up at 1:30. So I waited. The renter showed up at 2 -- and I waited while she ate lunch. And again, I waited while the others talked. They finally had a rental agreement at 3 but Isabella asked me to make grammatical corrections and print it out on her computer. As I brought the contract to the dining room, I saw the renter leaving. Eunice said she had to go to get some stuff and return later. At this point, she told me that I might as well go to Redondo Beach by myself, so I left my daughter's house around 3:30. So much for our "hot date." However, as soon as I got in the car, and checked the map for how to get to Redondo Beach, I had a change of heart when I thought of how much driving I would be doing in bad traffic. I thought of just going home and forgetting the whole thing, but I decided to head for Puddingtone since it wasn't too far and sort of on the way home.

I got to Puddingstone at about 4, and decided to head for the walk-in pier over on the left since I have had some success there catching Crappie, Redears and even a Catfish a few times in previous Octobers or Novembers. I was hoping the warm weather (which is supposed to turn cold and rainy soon) would bring out some biters, and I was correct.

There were a couple of friendly guys there when I got to the pier, and they were giving me the "we rented the end of the pier" routine, then laughing. I told them I didn't need the end of the pier anyway. :LOL: I put a redworm on a salmon egg hook on one pole and casted out, and put one of those Chartreuse Power Grubs I have on the other. On my second cast with the grub, I was talking to the other guys when suddenly I had a good hit and a really good pull on the line. I got the fish about 2/3 of the way to the dock but it came off before we could see it. I was thinking big Crappie or Trout but they were saynig Bass maybe. I casted to the same spot again, and lo and behold, I got another good hit, and I was ready for it. I hooked up solidly and it was another good one, or maybe the same one. (Good thing Crappies are so incredibly gullible.) It was a big Crappie of about 12 inches, which I walked to the shore and one of the other gentlemen kindly went down to shore to grab it for me. After that, he went to get their net which was a hoop style net designed especially for pier fishing. As he was returning a few minutes later, I hooked another one, and this one was even bigger. We went through the same routine again, and this thing was a real slab, if you know what I mean. :EyePop: My technique with the jig was basically to bounce and jig it along the bottom a few inches at a time, which usually works for me when I fish jigs without a bobber.

After that, however, fishing slowed down considerably. I managed 2 or 3 more strikes, one of which resulted in a 5 inch, baby Crappie which I put back, but that was it. One of the other guys tried a jig to no avail, and their baits went untouched, as did my redworm. I finally went to the middle pier and made five casts there with the jig to no avail, so I headed home. By then it was about 6 p.m. and totally dark. When I caught the fish, the sun was still up but near the horizon. Perhaps it got too dark for the fish to see the jig later on. By the way, since I had only brought saltwater fishing poles and not my ultralight, I was fishing the jig on 6 pound line but the fish didn't seem to mind. The light was fairly dim and the water was murky which probably helped. I was using my new pole that was the replacement for the one which a fish pulled into Lake Perris a few weeks ago.

I kept the two large Crappies and took them home to Moreno Valley. Here is a picture of them with yardstick. They were still alive and flopping from time to time when I took the picture.

old pudd fisher
12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Very nice Crappies Natural Lefty. It looks like you made a good move to hit the pudd on the way home. Yes the old pudd has some slabs in it, but I have not been able to catch one there or any lake yet. Hope you let your cat smell them before they get cooked.

Troutman65
12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Nice going on the crappie . Thanks for the report . I always enjoy reading your reports. Hope you get your wife back soon.:Wink:

fishmounter
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Good going NL! Yeah crappie tend to stay in groups of several individuals (schools) and also group together according to size. You no doubt found one with the larger fish. The bad thing is that unless there is some sort of cover like an underwater tree or brush, the crappie kind of just move around. Without a depth or fish finder it's hard to stay with the school of crappie. I have done this at Perris where you catch a couple, then they are just gone!
Looks like it's time for crappie sandwiches!...(Fried crappie fillets on toasted sour dough bread with tartar sauce, Romaine lettuce, and a slice of home grown beefsteak tomato! Yum!

M@M
12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice slabs! I would like to catch some myself. Maybe in 2011. I hear they are delicious. Thanks for the pics and the long report.
You definitely must type............uh...............way faster then me.:LOL:

Natural Lefty
12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes, the Fishing Gods/Godesses were definitely smiling on me yesterday, especially considering the time of year. :Smile: I haven't gotten to fish much lately, and I was thinking this was going to be a dud, made a couple of casts, and Bang!

M&M, my magic fingers are feverishly working at this time.

Crappies tend to go in schools, but not always. I think it was a school of a few large individuals that I found. Since they tend to group by size of age, there are probably only schools of a few large ones by the time they get to the larger sizes. The biggest one had a large shad in its stomach, so big, I probably could have filleted the shad. Eating those must be how they grow so big at Puddingstone. I don't know why I only caught 1 baby one, but it was on the other side of the pier from wher the big ones were, so not in the same school. It was later on also, so the big ones had probably moved on.

Troutman, now that there is a renter, I am hopeful that my wife will be back soon. Tomorrow some people are supposed to install mini-blinds though (you know, those things that go on windows, not small blind people).

The two Crappies from yesterday are now reposing in the freezer waiting for my wife to help consume them. She loves to eat big Crappies. She asked me to scale and gut them, so I did although I would have rather filleted them. By now, I have quite a collection of scaled and gutted Crappies, Redears and Bluegills in the freezer for my wife to eat, plus a few fillets.

M@M
12-14-2010, 08:06 PM
.........:Envious:

crappiemike
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
nice looking fish...i'll be out there in
early feb......

cm

BrandonFish
12-14-2010, 08:55 PM
hectic day? and a good way to end it nice slabs.. so did u see your rod go into the water at paris?

old pudd fisher
12-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey Crappiemike!! Do they bite well in the winter ? And what time of year is best to catch them.

exfactor
12-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Boy your rabble rousin Brandon. Be careful, or the mods will jump on you.

Mrborohachi
12-15-2010, 04:34 AM
which pier and what side of Pud were you on ???

Fishinnut
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice catch NL! The Pud is one of my favorite local watering holes here in the IE. Fishing there can sometimes be very very tough but it's nice to see the spot give up nice slabs like yours. I've also had some great days fishing at that place fishing for bass, crappie and Mr. Whiskers. Enjoy the fish and I hope to see you out there sometime soon.

Cameron
12-15-2010, 10:23 AM
WOW amazing fish there.Thanks for the report & the pics well done.

SpinnerBaitKing
12-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Which pier was it? Sailboat cover or opposite South end of lake? Great job!

crappiemike
12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey Crappiemike!! Do they bite well in the winter ? And what time of year is best to catch them.

looks like lefty found some do to the
nice weather....just tough fishing
this time of year you know, my 411
is not fishing much right now,

cm

old pudd fisher
12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info, crappiemike....The pudd fisher.

cjschock
12-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Good job on the crappies. Nice way to turn the day around. Crazy how a little warm weather can move them back in shallow.

Natural Lefty
12-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, looks like you people don't need my input much. Seventeen replies already and only one of them is mine.

I don't have much time, but I will try to answer any questions briefly. First of all, I am a community college professor (Psychology) so the only reason I was able to fish on a Monday was because this is finals week and my finals were scheduled for Wednesday-Friday, thus, no need to go to school Monday or Tuesday. I agree with Crappie Mike that the warm weather probably was responsible for the presence of the crappies near shore on Monday. Of course, now the warm weather is gone. It rained considerably here this morning in MoVal and we are supposed to have a solid week of rain ahead of us, but that's good for the long term picture, so I approve.

However, sometimes Crappies do bite in the winter, especially if the weather is relatively warm. They are more active in cold water than sunfish such as Bluegills or Redears, for instance.

I was on the east shore of Puddingstone at the southernmost pier, the one which is way above the water and which you have to hike to get to. The two big ones were to the right of the pier about 3/4 of the way out, maybe 30 feet to the right of the pier. The little one was on the left side about the same distance out.

I did take some pictures of the fish with one of my cats, but it was too dark and Gorjilina didn't pose very well :Confused: so i thought the one with the yardstick was better.

I had not been to Puddingstone since March, when I only caught and released one 11 inch bass, but after this trip, I am more inclined to go back to Puddingstone. By the way, there was no parking fee, I think because it was winter and a weekday. The other guys on the pier said that Crappie fishing had been good this summer, although that was the first I had heard of that, and I don't think the Crappies they had seen were as large as the ones I caught.

I definitely caught at least one larger Crappie before, but in retrospect, I think that was a White Crappie, so the larger one might be my personal best Black Crappie, although I have caught several "13 & 1/2 inchers" which were close in size to the bigger one from Monday. The one monday was more like 14 inches, and FAT. Both of the big Crappies were males, by the way.