PDA

View Full Version : Late 12/11 report

jowo
12-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Sorry for the late report!
Got there just after opening with a couple of buddies. Ran out to the buoyline, and there were a couple of guys set up already. Saw one of them catch a couple of fish as other boats showed up and anchored right next to them (the guy at the rental office suggested anchoring in 150+ and fishing near bottom, and they were right on that depth). We anchored a hundred or so yards away in slightly shallower water. No fish marks anywhere.
Nothing for about an hour, then this yahoo who seemed to know all the other boats ran up fast and rammed the buoy line. Not sure why? But he succeeded in breaking the line. We thought he pushed down some of the buoys when we saw the gap appear where he was, and kept fishing. After about 15 min, we realized that we seemed to be drifting towards the buoy line, as it was getting closer and closer. Took another 5 minutes to realize that the line had been snapped/cut by that yahoo, and the whole buoy line was drifting out. We started to pull anchor, and realized the line had pushed us out, and was slowly wrapping around us.
We freed ourselves after 15 minutes of hard pulling, metered around some more for nothing, and took off to look for fish.
Metered all along the edges in 70-150 feet of water, nothing doing except for a few singles that we guessed were LMB sitting on points/dropoffs.
Decided to hit the mooring cove right across from the main ramp, and metered some solid lines of stripers. Dropped the anchor again, and immediately got one.
Fished there the rest of the day, and ended with 9 stripers, all schoolies, and 1 cat, about 2-3 pounds. Wasn't great in numbers, but a good, relaxing day. Seemed like no one did very well; couple of guys we saw at the dock said they got 2-3 fish all day at the buoyline.
Used fresh dines for bait, also got one on the bloodworm.

jomama29
12-13-2010, 06:51 PM
not sure how late you stayed, but the winds sure picked up in the afternoon. i chatted with the lifeguard a bit and it seems like a common thing in the mid afternoon. he even mentioned that he saw waves that were crashing over the docks a week or two ago. by around 12noon, there were whitecaps on the lake and they had already stopped renting boats. saw two guys pull back to shore in their canoe with a trolling motor. they mentioned that they had only been there 45 mins, trying to pick up some stripers after the trout plan earlier in the week. they also mentioned that people had caught limits earlier in the day. i wasn't gonna try to fish the upper lake w/o a boat and trying to cast into those winds. might have to try dvl at some point...and hiring a guide as well. pretty new to the area and have been having a rough time trying to catch fish. =/

jowo
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
The wind picked up strong at times, but then would die down almost to nothing, and then come back. Tough lake to fish. The 'regulars' do a lot better than guys like me who only get out a couple times a year.
DVL is LOADED with fish, but I think you also need some tips and game plan when you go there.

Racerzf
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I saw the guys at the store head off to that cove you were talking bout as we were getting kicked out because it was closing time. How deep is it over their?

karlow
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
We fished there on Sunday. We only got five. The largest was 3.2lbs. We fished 60-120ft in my Tracker. I guess we were in the wrong cove! We left about 2:30. There was plenty of white water to be had!

jowo
12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
one of my buddies went back on Tuesday and got 9 stripers and a cat, biggest a 4.5# and 17# on the cat. That's a BIG cat!

catfish 17
12-27-2010, 02:57 AM
one of my buddies went back on Tuesday and got 9 stripers and a cat, biggest a 4.5# and 17# on the cat. That's a BIG cat!

can you get a pix of the cat?

jowo
12-27-2010, 11:06 PM
i doubt it; the guy is pretty low-tech. But he's pretty anal, so I think he would have weighed it and not just guessed. I was kind of thinking the same thing; a 17 pounder is huge!

jcfishinglee
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Here is pic of 19.5lbs catfish caught at Castaic Lake. http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x398/jcfishinglee/?action=view&current=091610061.jpg http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x398/jcfishinglee/?action=view&current=091610060.jpg

jowo
01-09-2011, 11:33 PM
That thing is FAT! The one we got looked similar; so fat that it looked like it had been blown up with some kind of air pump. Not much air, though. It had some eggs, and the organs were huge!