PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to Prado Lake

majorpain
12-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I have been out there the past two Sundays and Friday fish the usual PB's w/scents and worms by the snack shack. As far as I know they have stacked the lake at least four times since November. I have seen peeps hooking up to a couple of cats and maybe four trout (at least what I have seen). I did catch one big one around one today (relocated to the south end of the lake) but that was it not even a bite all day. I am not a rookie but damn I just cant imagine that lake with that much fish stocked being that slow. Has anyone had any better luck lately or a better spot.

Thanks for any info

DarkShadow
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Speaking from my experience, when city parks get stocked, it is very minimal. 1/2 will get eaten by the cormorants or die, and the other 1/4 will get taken by the truck chasers within the first few hours of stocking.

You will essentially have 1/4 of the tiny stock to tangle with unless you get there when the DFG stock is dumping the trout in.

My experience has been that within the first 2 days, these fish will disperse into small schools of 10 to 12 fish in the immediate area where they were stocked. That is the reason I will not bait and wait, as you are throwing your bait and expecting the fish to run into it. Instead, I will fish either a mini jig or a tiny spoon until I find a willing pack. Once you find them, you can finesse them even more by split shotting a trout worm (Power Worms seem to do the trick) or fish a tiny 1/64th or smaller jig if you see the school.

Bait and waiting for stocked city lake trout can prove to be a fruitless venture, especially with the few trout they stock nowadays. You'd have a better chance fan casting in the immediate area they were dumped in with artificial if you want to get hooked up.

castle
12-13-2010, 02:54 AM
I agree with Darkshadow. i get more bites with the stocker trout when Im tossing small jigs at them.

majorpain
12-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Darkshadow
I really appreciate the quick and detailed response thanks I will give it a try.

bman90278
12-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with Darkshadow. i get more bites with the stocker trout when Im tossing small jigs at them.

I agree too...I've also had great luck throwing Gold and Chrome/blue 1/12 OZ Kastmasters at stocker Trout.

brian