PDA

View Full Version : A New Friend To Meet And a DD At Our Feet

yolo
12-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Was not going to fish today but I get a text from M@M in the morning that he is making the journey out to the AV from Hesperia to fish the AV section. I told him I would go out and meet him in an hour and a half and maybe we can get something to bite. I then get a text from MarineMike and he wants to fish too. Off we go after all the arm twisting it took again to get me out there. I really was not planning on fishing today. Anyway, we meet up at the first spot and make our introductions and proceed to walk in for a little bit. We are all casting and as I am bs-ing with M@M I get a quick hit and it's actually on for a couple of seconds. I definitely was not ready for it. I tell him I just got hit and there is something here. I cast again to the area and as soon as my lure hits the water on slack line I feel it thump again but the reaction is slow from the previous 2 nights of fishing and lack of sleep, lol. No biggie. I tell both Mikes to get over to where I am and start casting cause there is one there. They cast a few times and then I cast a couple of times and get it to hit again but once again third time was the charm and it gets hook set and on.

Immediately it runs and runs and runs. Super bendo, no slowing it down and no stopping it. I comment that I am running low on line. I can see the drilled holes in my spool through the 10lb Pline CXX. It is under the buoy line and way, way, way down flow. Line is rubbing the whole time and I am starting to get worried. MarineMike is in line with the buoy line and can see my line just dragging on it. He instructs me to move to the right a few feet so I don't hit one of the buoy knuckles, which is sure break off. I slide over and away from the knuckle and line is still dragging on the cable (not too worried about that cause that won't usually cut line it's those darn knuckles). I finally get the fish to at least stop and can crank a little bit. It stays mid current and will not come towards me even though it is now turned. It's just hanging in the current and head shaking. I let it tire and slowly make progress. It goes down deep and now I am no longer rubbing the cable. I start to wind him in and making more progress. Finally get him to the edge and MarineMike grips him for me and yanks it up the cement. Victory!!!

It's about the same size as last nights catch I had with Khanh but not as fat but still a good fish and another DD. MarineMike walks up flow a ways and gets a hit but doesn't stick it. M@M and I are still working the area of the hook up looking for another but nothing else there. From there we work the heck out of a few spots both going and coming back and not another biter to be had. Ran in to several groups of people at different spots and no one had gotten anything either.

Mike (M@M), it was nice to meet you and I hope you were able to absorb it all in and will apply it all to future duct outings. I wish you or MarineMike would have gotten the hook up instead of me cause you guys are due. It will happen. Keep at it. Nice fishing with you guys.

Fish was given to MarineMike for some relatives to enjoy that are coming to visit for the Holidays.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%2012-12-10/Duct12-12-10.jpg

Tr1p0d
12-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice work Z.. Sorry I couldn't make it. Had too much chit to do. We'll shoot out soon.

yolo
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
You didn't miss much as far as action goes. The first 5 minutes was great and then the rest was nada, zip, nothing, zilch for several hours after that. It started off great and looked promising but it was just not there after the first fish. No one else we ran into had fish. There's always next time.

Stomach contents update: got texted that it had a perch and several minnows in the gut.

M@M
12-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Z, Good times. Thanks to you and MarineMike for letting me tag along today, looking forward to doing it again. It was cool watching you fight that fish today. . With that fence and the buoy line as obstacles I think your experience made the difference.:Thumbs Up:...... I would of just been thinking UH OH!! NOW WHAT!! ...I feel I learned something today.....Your one of the good guys, thanks for the help..... I feel a Striper coming out of Phelan real soon!:Smile:

Marine_Michael
12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Z, Good times. Thanks to you and MarineMike for letting me tag along today, looking forward to doing it again. It was cool watching you fight that fish today. . With that fence and the buoy line as obstacles I think your experience made the difference.:Thumbs Up:...... I would of just been thinking UH OH!! NOW WHAT!! ...I feel I learned something today.....Your one of the good guys, thanks for the help..... I feel a Striper coming out of Phelan real soon!:Smile:

Good Meeting you too. Didn't get to talk much unfortunately, too busy trying to find the fish. Yolo has more to teach anyways. We'll get them next time.

Marine_Michael
12-12-2010, 09:58 PM
You didn't miss much as far as action goes. The first 5 minutes was great and then the rest was nada, zip, nothing, zilch for several hours after that. It started off great and looked promising but it was just not there after the first fish. No one else we ran into had fish. There's always next time.

Stomach contents update: got texted that it had a perch and several minnows in the gut.

Striper Length was 32 1/4" Perch in stomach was @ 5" long and the 3 still recognizable minnows @ 2" long.

wackyrigged
12-13-2010, 04:57 AM
A nice speciman!Keep up the good work

yolo
12-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Yeah I feel one tugging on your line too. Good luck and go get em. Wherever you are fishing just take a quick second to scan the area. Look at obstacles if any and look down and up flow to see where ladders are. Now you have the mental map and will be better prepared to land the fish if you need to clear some obstacles and also need to go down to the water's edge to land the fish, it's good to do it at a ladder. Learn the currents, breaks, backflows because you can guide the fish to them to help you get an edge in landing them.

Striper Length was 32 1/4" Perch in stomach was @ 5" long and the 3 still recognizable minnows @ 2" long.

It was about 2 1/2 gripper lengths but I never did precisely measure it. I would have guessed around 30" but I'm not the one that brought it home. Tail was dragging on the ground when carrying it on the walk back to the car and a 30" usually does that with my height and arm length.

Double A
12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
your on fire yolo

yolo
12-13-2010, 08:39 AM
your on fire yolo

Good luck tomorrow.

M@M
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
QUOTE=Marine_Michael;507090]Good Meeting you too. Didn't get to talk much unfortunately, too busy trying to find the fish. Yolo has more to teach anyways. We'll get them next time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was learning watching how you BOTH did it. You are pretty serious when it comes to hunting them stripers. :Smile: Like you said, we'll get them next time,tight lines, mike

trail blazer
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Niceeeeeeeeeee

trail blazer

cutbait
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
nice guys.